Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

grams protein per pound bodyweight

How many grams of protein per pound of bodyweight do you eat on a bulking cycle?

• < 1 gram/pound

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 1 gram/pound

Votes: 58 22.1%
  • 1.5 grams/pound

Votes: 109 41.6%
  • 2 grams/pound

Votes: 51 19.5%
  • 2.5 grams/pound

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • 3 grams/pound

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 3.5 grams/pound

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4 grams/pound

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • > 4 grams/pound

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters
It all goes back to what school of thought you follow. Old schoolers will tell you that 1 gram per pound is enough. Alot of my buddies are pushing the 3.5-4 gr per pound threshold. I usually stick to the 2 if bulking (extra carbs) 3 if cutting. I also agree that it depends on what gear you're on.

Why do you say the gear matters? I don't see how that makes any difference.

LOL this thread was started in 2004.... I would change some things I said from then. Looking at protein content is good , but I would analyze the amino acid profile of the foods you eat to see if you are deficient in essential amino acids. I've found that my methionine is on the low side and it can have some benefits in terms of building muscle and losing fat. Methinonine is also oxidized into homocysteine during training as well. Homocysteine is corrosive to arteries (and is known to cause heart failure) so it is good to get that removed. Betaine anhydrous (trimethylglycine) can be used to convert Homocysteine back to methionine. Most protein sources are low in methionine so it may be helpful to add some on top of the normal protein intake. Animal protein sources may be high in glutamic acid (glutamate) which mostly will be absorbed by the intestines. Same with arginine. It may be good to supplement with glutamine/arginine/orthinine AKG to bypass the intestines and get these amino acids into the bloodstream especially the orthinine AKG around workout time.
AKG + ammonia can be converted to glutamine which can be a way of removing ammonia from the system during or after training.

I like dialtone am around 250lb 5'9 and I have been experimenting with this idea of 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight. I have done what the weight loss "gurus" say is good for losing weight

1. drop calories

2. drop fat and carbohydrate consumption

3. excersize

Those three in combination with a high protein diet (Does this sound just like soth beach? I haven't read the diet personally) have not produced any drastic results for me. Yohimburn has been somewhat successful for me , but this idea of chomping down large quantities of protein personally has not worked for me.

I cycle 8 different protein powders in the last say 5 months on top of regular meals.

1. isopure

2. nitrotech

3. mgf-2 http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mg/mgf2.html

4. iso-agb

5. ON 100% whey

6. Now Foods soy protein Isolate 90% non-gmo

7. cytosport evopro (nighttime micellar casein)

8. ultimate Nutrition massive whey gainer http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/un/weight.html

If you want to waste your $$$ , then that's on you. I've been wasting mine in an experiment and the hypothesis is that it makes you hold onto fat and it lesses the $$$ in your bank account. It's made no real difference in terms of gains in the gym.

Maan why so much in supplements? No pro is using that much some of them barely use any. Everything should come from food, supps for fast absorption post work out and nothing more than a good isolate plus waximaze, thats it. Everything else would be a waste of money for me.
Bout the protein intake, IMO dont matter how much gear yr running everything above 2grams per pound is overdoing it. I personally go with the classical 3,5grams per kilo of lbm. And no, rarely a pro will stuff themselves with more than that. Big guys dont go over 500grams in total from lean meats.

I definitely am a big believer in more is not always better. Stick to 1.2-1.5 up to 2 grams for bulking, and 1.2 for cutting.
I also think it definitely matters what type of body type you have as well and how many carbs you can actually handle depending on your "fat boy" status. Because remember, carbs are protein sparing.

Use more real food as Protein egg white beans etc. the body metabolizes it better.

Sent from my iPhone using EliteFitness.com - Anabolic Steroids, Bodybuilding

^^^ Exactly NY Fit...Real food is king!!!

I had to reread this thread since a lot of what I said was years ago. I used to be a hard core protein shake guy. I would do 3 or 4 a day. I don't juice. Ive done the research but never pulled the trigger cause I get enough police attention natty.... Anyway, then came the leucine studies and all that protein went out the window. NOW I buy HICA and BCAA. Everything else is real food as the last 2 people said

I get around 1g per lb (2.2kg * BW) because protein is very satiating and I need to eat more, so I rely more on carbs for calories on a bulk.

Top Bottom