Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

grams protein per pound bodyweight

How many grams of protein per pound of bodyweight do you eat on a bulking cycle?

• < 1 gram/pound

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 1 gram/pound

Votes: 58 22.1%
  • 1.5 grams/pound

Votes: 109 41.6%
  • 2 grams/pound

Votes: 51 19.5%
  • 2.5 grams/pound

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • 3 grams/pound

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 3.5 grams/pound

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4 grams/pound

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • > 4 grams/pound

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters
snagglepuss said:
Thanks to all the guys who responded constructively to my post! The reason I ask is that I've always stuck to 1.5-2 grams because I thought there was a limit to how much protein the body could absorb at any one time. However, I recently had a discussion with someone who suggested that (1) AAS can improve protein absorbtion and (2) increasing protein instead of carbs will help keep fat off while bulking.

I agree with point (1), but (2) is only partially true and that's just because the body uses 20% of the calories from protein to merely break it down. So yes, if you ate 500g of protein, your body would end up receiving less net calories than from 500g of carbs, because it's harder for the body to metabolise the protein. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to do - you are bulking after all and WANT your body to get the calories (not use them burning up food).

I think also it's different for different people, so you need to experiment and learn about how YOUR body reacts to different diet ratios (preferably before you use AAS, so that you can make the most out of it once you know your body and metabolism well).

Hope that helps!

I tend to believe most people overdo their protein intake. Using 1.5 grams per lb is very deceptive.

It should be per 1.5-2 grams per LBM, not per lb of bodyweight. Your bodyfat doesn't benefit from your protein intake, therefore it's pretty much useless to feed something that won't break down the aminos.

calveless wonder said:
I tend to believe most people overdo their protein intake. Using 1.5 grams per lb is very deceptive.

It should be per 1.5-2 grams per LBM, not per lb of bodyweight. Your bodyfat doesn't benefit from your protein intake, therefore it's pretty much useless to feed something that won't break down the aminos.

^^^^^

VERY true.

Someone 250lbs @ 8% bf has VERY different protein needs to someone 250lbs @ 20% bf!!

calveless wonder said:

True dat bro!! Good catch!

mcr said:
I agree with point (1), but (2) is only partially true and that's just because the body uses 20% of the calories from protein to merely break it down. So yes, if you ate 500g of protein, your body would end up receiving less net calories than from 500g of carbs, because it's harder for the body to metabolise the protein. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to do - you are bulking after all and WANT your body to get the calories (not use them burning up food).

I think also it's different for different people, so you need to experiment and learn about how YOUR body reacts to different diet ratios (preferably before you use AAS, so that you can make the most out of it once you know your body and metabolism well).

Hope that helps!

That helps a lot!

Recognizing that metabolism and diet will vary, are there any macronutrient ratios you would feel comfortable recommending? I take it that you think 55% of calories from protein is probably too high, but what about 30%? 40%?

I have a very hard time losing bodyfat. I've managed to get myself down to almost 10% naturally, but I plan to start a bulking cycle soon, and fervently want to avoid getting fat again.

thanks!

snagglepuss said:
Recognizing that metabolism and diet will vary, are there any macronutrient ratios you would feel comfortable recommending? I take it that you think 55% of calories from protein is probably too high, but what about 30%? 40%?

I am cutting right now and am taking in around 350g of protein, 150g carbs and 80g fat, so that's about 50% of my calories from protein.

When I get to my bodyfat goal (I'm 11% now, want to be 8% before bulking), I will gradually up my carbs by 50g per week while carefully watching my waistline until I'm at a good state of gaining mass without adding to my waist. This time around I anticipate it to eventually be 350g/350g/80g so that's 40% from protein. I may even up the protein to 400g.

When I add AAS to this, I will bump up protein and carbs even more and will probably be at around 500/500/80 when I start my cycle, as I want to make the most out of the drugs.

I will say it may be prudent to do things gradually if you're worried about gaining fat and up calories slowly over time when making the transition from cutting to bulking.

I have to bulk VERY clean in order to not add fat and bloat. I bloat out just by looking at sodium, so I have to be very careful.

You are right to be worried about getting fat, but at the same time, if you're planning on running an AAS bulking cycle, in order to gain the most lean mass possible and make best use of the AAS, you will have to expect to gain some fat too. It comes with the territory but can be sorted out after the cycle.

calveless wonder said:

I hate to tell you but proteins can be converted to fat and stored. Infact your body has chemicals stored in fat not to mention what used to be your hard spent money on proteins. Search the net for "sauna therapy"... These 1.5 and 2gm/lb of bodyweight are just a waste of money and people being fooled by supplement company claims of how to get big.

StickFigure said:
The most simple way to figure out how much protien the body can absorb is this. Go ask a pro BB how much protien he takes in. Most likley he will tell you somewhere between 2.5-4gms/LB of body weight. Then ask him what would happen to his muscle mass if he only took the RDA. Bye Bye Mr. O title! That's what!

You really think most pros are taking in 600-1,000 grams of protein per day? Pros do error on the excessive side when it comes to supplements (all supplements) because they don't want to leave anything to chance, not be cause they really need that much. If Joe Blow is taking 400 whatever they're gonna take 500 just in case it works.

calveless wonder said:

Finally somebody who thinks the way I think, although I stay closer to 1 gram per LBM lb.

Dial_tone said:
You really think most pros are taking in 600-1,000 grams of protein per day? Pros do error on the excessive side when it comes to supplements (all supplements) because they don't want to leave anything to chance, not be cause they really need that much. If Joe Blow is taking 400 whatever they're gonna take 500 just in case it works.

I think alot of the big guys are taking 500-700gm/day. Ruhl says he takes in as much as 600gm/day. I'll admit 4gm is a bit high per lb but it is not totally unheard of, but I'm sure it's rare.

Top Bottom