Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

good fats v. bad fats

VSUdude

I've researched on the internet and talked to folks who I consider "knowledgable" but I can never seem to get a consistent answer to the following questions.

1. Does your body recognize a difference between saturated and unsaturated fats as far as storage goes? To further clarify what I mean, here's an example: Person A eats 100g saturated fat/day while Person B eats 100g unsaturated fat/day. All other things being equal (let's propose they are twins with the same activity level, same macro nutrient ratio, same BW, etc.) will either person store more than the other? Does the type of even fat make a difference in terms of storage on the body?

2. Does saturated fat = bad cholesterol (LDL) and unsaturated = good cholesterol (HDL)?

3. I've been told by several people that the more fat you intake, the more your body will burn. (kinda like water; drink a gallon and piss all day or drink a glass and piss once or twice) Is this fact or myth?

Thanks for any input!

this is what i think, but it is what other people have pretty much said so it may not be right.

(1) here is a big difference from saturated and unsaturated fats. saturated fats are pretty much only used for storage (turns into fat) and unsaturated fat is used for storage but it also has a lot of other things it does, cell walls use them, and hormones. 100g of sat fat would make much more fat then 100g of unsat fat. men do need sat fat but it should be kept low (20g-50g?) if you are looking for a clean diet.

(2) i do not know much about cholesterol but i am pretty sure they do not work like that. it might be that one leads to some type of cholesterol but not in the way you asked. you could do a simple google search and figure it out, i am sure.

(3) i bet it depends on your over all diet. if 60% of your calories come from fat, then yes you will burn more of the fat. but if it is 10%, even if it is the same amount of grams as the 60%, it would not because you would be eating more carbs, and carbs are burned before fat... for the most part. the closest diet that would do this is called a keto diet. but you eat no carbs and therefore you have to burn fat.

Excerpt from a book im compiling:

Written By: Michael Maloney
FATS – WHY DO THEY HAVE SUCH A BAD REP?

Out of all the macronutrients FAT is most dreaded. WHY? Because AMERICA has a misconception of FAT. Most like everyone else I always thought FAT was bad, well I was COMPLETELY wrong. There are Specific fats, that can help aid fat loss due to them containing what dieticians call Essential Fatty Acids. Ill go into the details of the EFA little later. THEY ARE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

Fats fall into 2 subcatorgies, either good fats or bad fats. YOU want a majority of all your fats to come from GOOD FATS. Now heres the question I know you all are pondering, what the fuck are good Fats?
Good Fats Are the unsaturated fats: Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated.

Unsaturated Fats
These are the fats that come mostly from plant sources and turn to liquid at room temperatre. These are the EFA’s like I mentioned above.

Polyunsaturated Fats
• Omega 3 and Omega 6 EFAs are in this catorgory.
• Food Sources: safflower, sesame seed, sunflower seed, flax seed, hemp seed, corn and soybeans.

Monounsaturated Fats
• Omega 9 – “semi” essential fatty acid
• Only considered a semi because if there are enough Omega 6’s and Omega 3’s the body can produce it on its own.
• Food Sources are: avacados, olives, peanuts
• Oil Sources are: olive, almond, peanut, hazelnut and canola

NOW THE DEVIL FATS!
Like everything in life there is always an opposite side of the spectrum. There ARE BAD FATS. So lets take a look into them. They are called Saturated and hydrogenated fats.

Saturated Fats
• Found mostly in foods from animals and some plants. It is the main dietary cause of high cholesterol.
• Causes an increase risk of heart disease.
• No nutritional benefit – doesn’t burn other fats.
• Keep Saturated fat levels below 7% of your total calories, or even less if possible.
• Animal Sources: Beef, beef fat, veal, lamb, pork, butter, milk, cheeses and other daiy products made with whole milk.
• Plants: coconut oil, palm oil and cocoa butter.

Hydrogenated or Trans fats
During food processing, fats may go under a chemical procces that is called hydrogenation. This is most common with butter/margins and other shortners.
• These fats Raise blood cholesterol.
• Believed to raise cholesterol more than saturated fats/
• Hydogenation makes the fat solid at room temperature
• Food sources: French fries, donuts, crackers and cookies
• KEEP OUT OF YOUR DIET COMPLETELY, THEY ARE BAD NEWS!

Now you see how we were all misled by believing ALL FATS WERE BAD. And some of us I bet, like myself, cut out fat completely. Never again, I need all the help I can at burning fat, and HEALTHY EFA’s are my secret weapon. BUT REMEMBER SATURATED AND HYDROGENATED FATS DON’T BELONG IN OUR DIETS!

Essential Fatty Acids. Wd-40 For the Body.
Peanut butter & EFA’s (Essential Fatty Acids)

Too many people stay away from FAT while on Diet, from the misconception of the media that Fats make you Fat. WRONG. TOO many calories with a lot of calories coming from FAT makes you FAT. In fact it is a MUST that your body has fat to produce testosterone. So basically if you were like me, Very strict on diet, low fat and your libido is dropping this is WHY! I found this out the hard way, thank god I was still taking my Flax seed oil and other Fats to balance out my Fat intake.

OkOk, almost forgot to clear this up. Im not talking about the FAT this on bacon or the fat in Vegetable oil. Im talking about healthy fats, they are called Essential Fatty Acids. (The way I always explained it in “lemans” terms was, these are the fats that attack other fats). You should focus only on healthy fats (EFA’s), such as poly-unsaturated fats (Omega 3’s, Omega 6’s & Omega 9’s). This is where learning to read labels on food comes in handy. BUT the #1 HEALTHY FAT OF ALL IS MONOUNSATURATED FAT. Scientists have actually proven that monounsaturated fat has a direct effect on the testes and testosterone production.

EFA’s play a huge role in our bodies. They have impact on our immune, cardiovascular and nerv functions. They are called “essential” just because our bodies DO NOT produce it, so we have to aquire it with our diet. Most people use supplements such as fishoil or flax oil, because healthy fats are usually proccesed out of the foods we eat.

These are the benefits taking in your daily EFA’s.
• Healty joints and healthier connective tissues.
• Better recovery time in muscle growth.
• Reduced risk of diabetes.
• Decrease in muscle breakdown.
• Boost in the immune system functions
All or most of the Fats in your diet should be from EFA’s. These are the only FATS we need.

Here are Some Sources of Healthy Fats

OMEGA 3’S OMEGA 6’S
Flax Seed Safflower Oil
Grounded cloves Sunflower Oil
Nuts, Walnuts Corn Oil
Salmon Sesame Oil
Shrimp Hemp Oil
Kale Walnut Oil
Tuna Wheatgerm oil
Cod Pumpkin Oil

Check out this thread I started quite a while back. Saturated fats have taken a beating due to mass media finding one thing, and lets blame all our woes on it. They picked fats. Saturated fats are in fact very healthful and needed.

From Mercola and backed up by tons of doctors....

Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.

They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.

They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease. They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.
They enhance the immune system.
They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids. Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats.
Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated. The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.
Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.
The scientific evidence, honestly evaluated, does not support the assertion that "artery-clogging" saturated fats cause heart disease. Actually, evaluation of the fat in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% is saturated. The rest is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442673

Lifterforlife said:
Check out this thread I started quite a while back. Saturated fats have taken a beating due to mass media finding one thing, and lets blame all our woes on it. They picked fats. Saturated fats are in fact very healthful and needed.

From Mercola and backed up by tons of doctors....

Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.

They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.

They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease. They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.
They enhance the immune system.
They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids. Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats.
Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated. The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.
Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.
The scientific evidence, honestly evaluated, does not support the assertion that "artery-clogging" saturated fats cause heart disease. Actually, evaluation of the fat in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% is saturated. The rest is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442673

wow great read lifter

Top Bottom