Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Going from cutting to bulking...

poultrygeist

Have been on atkins diet for approx. 5 months to lose as much fat as possible. Gone from 235 lbs and 19% bf to 189 lbs and 10% bodyfat. Continued to work out and actually I have gotten stronger. My abs are showing decent now. I'm exactly where I wanted to be don't want to lose any more and worry about more muscle loss. Now I want to put on some muscle by incorporating bulking diet.

Currently I work out moderate to heavy 5 days a week, consume 30 grams dextrose post workout with creatine and protein. Eat lots of meat--at least a pound per day, a big salad for lunch, and lots of vegtables every day.

I'm thinking of adding in fruit in the morning or even some complex carbs. ANyone have any suggestions for doing this in a way that will help add muscle wtih a minimum of fat gains?

Thanks!

I wouldn't really call that bulking.

More like maintenance.

Bulking would imply a substantial calorie surplus. And that's what it's all about....track your calories.

If you really want to bulk, you will need a considerable amount of calories over maintenance.

I would avoid mixing fat with carbs, and use low GI carbs as your carb source. Eat lean meat, healthy fats.

Oatmeal, whole grains, sweet potatoes, brown rice

flax and fish oil

1.5-2 grams protien per pound of bodyweight

.....etc etc

Thanks for the reply. Would you consider varieties of fruit a decent carb source for bulking in addition to what you mentioned or would you primarily add the oatmeal, whole grains, sweet potatoes, brown rice?

My fear is that the sugar content of fruit will help cause fat deposition if I go over my maintenance # of calories...if that's the case then I'll forget them. Is this going to be a trial and error for most people in regard to fruit?

One more question: I keep hearing people say that on the Atkins diet when I start adding carbs the fat will come back. Is there any truth to this if I add the good carb foods like you mentioned? or is this theory pretty much for the lazy dieters who don't work out and exercise right?

Sorry for all the questions but this is helping.

fruit is fine in moderation.

A lot of people will slowly reintroduce carbs back into the diet - stepping it up on a weekly basis....like adding 30 or so more carbs into the daily diet every week

so maybe:

week 1: 50 carbs/day
week 2: 80 carbs/day

etc.

also, a lot of people will not eat carbs after 5 or 6 at night

Poultrygeist: I wouldn't worry about losing muscle while you have 10% BF either. If you are going to gain muscle, you have to consume carbs. If you are going to consume simple, high glycemic carbs, do it when your body will tolerate and use them best: in the morning and just after working out. You already know that excess carbs can be stored as fat. What do you think happens to excess protein? I haven't really done much research about it, and I'm not a dietitician, but it seems like it could possibly get stored as fat too. Some of it would go to repair muscle tissue, I'm sure. Perhaps someone who knows can post let us know.

I think that the people who say that once you stop a diet, all of the progress that you have made is gone. That's just their way of justifying being a lazy fat ass.

The difference in carbs though is glycemic index (GL) the higher the glycemic index, the higher more easily it is absorbed into your body. Fast absoprtion is not always a bad thing. Glycogen is the fuel inside out muscles that gives us the energy during certain types of exertion. While working out, the glycogen gets depleted. If you can replenish it with the more readily ingested complex carbs, your muscles will recover faster and feel fuller.

Lower glycemic carbs cause the insulin in your blood to spike less drastically. Their benefits are more evenly dispersed and fat storage/muscle absorption is not as fast.

Sorry for the book, hope it helps.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think that's what I'm going to do is to slowly reintroduce carbs inot the diet. mostly eating them in the early morning and then again after workout. I will try and stick to things like whole rice, grains and yams and such and go very light to moderate on fruit. I will also make sure to eat high fat and high carb at different meals.

Actually I was suprised that I didn't lose more muscle on low carb plan for 4 months. This iwllo really help. Thanks again.

Top Bottom