Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Goal 1 - met - need help for Goal 2

ICPERFECT

Hey guys,
so I did it, i lost my 50 lbs according to my scale - I am down to 169 from 220 and i did it in 3 1/2 months. This was due to me eating mostly "pure foods" - chicken, beef, veggies, fruit, water, etc. I hardly if ever cheated and for at least the first 2 1/2 months i ran just about every morning and afternoon. I lifted very little to be honest.

Now the big question is, I'm sitting at 169, sure my waist is down from a 38 to 31, but I still have a tummy, my chest is still , well loose. I need to build me some muscle and carve the rest of the fat off.

My next goal gives me about 3 1/2 to 4 months - this time adding in weight training. I've never really lifted before so this is going to be an interesting journey for me. I need to change my diet, perhaps add some protein drinks, flax grains, etc? I havent touched any breads whatsoever. Thanks for any input. BTW I'd love to add in 15 - 20lbs of muscle or more.

I received your PM and went through some of your recent posts to find out what you have been doing. Although you have lost a considerable amount of bodyweight (50 lbs.) over a 3 1/2 month period, a major portion of this would be muscle mass due to the fact of the high levels of cardio and the absence of a structured weight program.

As a result, you have placed yourself in a difficult situation. You have lost considerable body fat but the presence of 'love handles' would indicate that you should keep cutting. However, the lack of resistance training during this period would indicate that you should be bulking to put the mass, which you have lost, back on.

First thing you need to do is determine what your current body fat percentage (BFP) is. Once you know that then have a look at the following options:

If your BFP is greater than 12%:

Continue cutting but reduce (somewhat) the level of cardiovascular activity you are performing and introduce a structured weight training program (3 X per week minimum). Ensure that your protein intake is high. Don't weigh yourself during this period. Instead, rely on your BFP to chart your progress. Adjust your cardio, weight training, and/or nutritional intake to get your BFP lower. Don't place yourself in a position though where you are starving your body to achieve this. As long as your diet is clean and your caloric intake meets your needs, then your level of activity should be sufficient to help you achieve your goal. Remember too, that this cutting cycle is about defining and trying to maintain what mass you have. It is not about adding additional mass.

If your BFP is less than 12%:

Start a bulking cycle. Reduce the level of cardio to just warming up your muscles prior to working out. Your workout program should be structured to something like the follwoing:

Training split 1 on, 1 off

Day 1: Chest/shoulders/arms
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Back/legs/abs
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Chest/shoulders/arms
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Back/legs/abs
Day 8: Rest

If you need a list of exercises and correct form for each muscle group explained, then try the following:

Novice Exercises

If this is not suitable to your schedule then have a look over in the Weights Section of the forum as there are many other routines there. You will want to keep your diet as clean as possible while you are bulking to keep your BFP under control but expect it to go up. Adjust the intensity of your workouts and/or your nitritional intake if it starts getting away from you. Your protein intake should be at a level of one gram per pound of lean body mass. You will be able to calculate this since you will know your BFP. Your carb intake will also need to be raised to meet the additional energy demands of your workout. Try to stick with complex carbs to meet your caloric requirements. Your fat intake will also be raised but try to keep it under 60 grams per day and minimise saturead fats. Avoid trans and hydrogenated fats completely. Keep your body properly hydrated at all times and try to bulk as clean as possible. This will make it easier to cut later on once you have exceeded your target bodyweight.

The above options are just a suggested way of achieving your ultimate goal. Others will suggest that you can combine the two and achieve your goals but, in my opinion, the results which you may achieve in that manner will be small and will take a considerable amount of time. Use your own judgement.

Supplements: The only things I would suggest is Protein and Water. Make sure both are high quality sources and in sufficient quantities to meet your needs. Always read and understand the nutritional panel on any supplements before you purchase or consume them. If you are using a protein powder, the carb and fat content should be as close to zero as possible to ensure a higher protein value, If you are going to use a thermogenic as you have been asking about in other threads, be aware that although they will stimulate the breakdown of fat cells, they will also inhibit the release of insulin. If growth hormone levels are high but insulin levels are low, insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) will not increase. IGF's are responsible for anabolic growth in muscle tissue. So thermogenic type supplements should not be used if you are trying to add mass.

The following you should already know as you have been in a cutting cycle for some time, but I'll put these equations here anyway.

Basic Metabolc Rate (BMR):
  • Adult Male:
    BMR = 66 + (6.3 x body weight in lbs.) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)
  • Adult Female:
    BMR = 665 + (4.3 x body weight in lbs.) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

Use your BMR to determine your daily caloric needs:
  • sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  • ightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  • moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  • very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  • extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Caloric Equivalents:
  • one gram of protein = 4 calories
  • one gram of carbs = 4 calories
  • one gram of fat = 9 calories

Hope this helps you out.

KP--Fitness Basics

50 lbs in only 3.5 months is a great accomplishment bro :beer:. shows you are at least dedicated and willing to do what it takes for the body you want.

that being said, i'd suggest you keep your diet how it is structured now or make minor changes to lose a LITTLE bit more weight (if you desire to)

as far as weight training goes, i'd suggest you do the routine i am doing. the single factor 5x5 routine. I have made amazing gains in strength and very noticeable change in how my body looks. I weigh 3 pounds more than what i did before i started lifting but i lift almost double the weights i WAS lifting at when i first started out 2-3 months ago. So look in the lifting forum for a copy of the single factor 5x5. If you don't find it or are confused about a part or don't know what a certain exercise is (i know, they have weird names) feel free to PM me and ask or post up your follow up questions here.

hope this helps :verygood:

sorry to kinda jack your thread but hopefully this question might help you a bit too

where is a good site to get a decent body fat clipper I searched and asked a few friends but the ones they got were crappy plastic that broke :/

Ok so far, I think I'm going to add protein drinks to my diet - I was also thinking to add flax meal - is that better then the actual oils (liquid or pill)? Can I add it into my protein drink? I was so contemplating creatine, but not sure if I would need that at this time. And what is all your takes on glutamine? Any advice would be great.

xet said:
where is a good site to get a decent body fat clipper I searched and asked a few friends but the ones they got were crappy plastic that broke
Have a look online or in your local area for an Accu-Measure 2000 Skinfold Caliper.

icperfect said:
Ok so far, I think I'm going to add protein drinks to my diet - I was also thinking to add flax meal - is that better then the actual oils (liquid or pill)? Can I add it into my protein drink? I was so contemplating creatine, but not sure if I would need that at this time. And what is all your takes on glutamine? Any advice would be great.
Have you determined what your BFP is yet?
And, as a result, are you planning to keep cutting or are you going to start to bulk?
I assumed that you also knew your macro values too, but maybe I should ask if you currently do?

KP--Fitness Basics

No i actually don't. I've tried to do the online body fat % but they dont seem accurate, how would i go about assessing myself at this point - I dont have the proper equiptment on hand. I want to continue to lose the fat i have, but at the same time build up muscle.

Have a look online or in your local area for an Accu-Measure 2000 Skinfold Caliper.

If you belong to a gym, they will be able to assess your BFP there. Make sure it is not with a Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) device. If not, you can do it yourself with calipers. The alternative is to go to a sports clinic or university and have them assess it there. They have the best and most accurate facilities.

From past experience, I know that alot of people have lost weight without knowing their body composition or their macro nutritional intake values. This means that any progress they have achieved has been based solely on a guess. Some people are good at guessing but others just end up wasting their time and going around in circles wondering why a particular diet didn't work for them. It is very important to get to know what you are putting into your body on a daily basis which has resulted in your current physique so that you are able to make the necessary adjustments to help you achieve long-lasting results.

The information and equations, provided above, will help you determine what you need to do.

KP--Fitness Basics

Kian,
Thanks a lot man, I will find out and repost asap. Thanks bro!
IC

KIAN said:

If you belong to a gym, they will be able to assess your BFP there. Make sure it is not with a Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) device. If not, you can do it yourself with calipers. The alternative is to go to a sports clinic or university and have them assess it there. They have the best and most accurate facilities.

From past experience, I know that alot of people have lost weight without knowing their body composition or their macro nutritional intake values. This means that any progress they have achieved has been based solely on a guess. Some people are good at guessing but others just end up wasting their time and going around in circles wondering why a particular diet didn't work for them. It is very important to get to know what you are putting into your body on a daily basis which has resulted in your current physique so that you are able to make the necessary adjustments to help you achieve long-lasting results.

The information and equations, provided above, will help you determine what you need to do.

KP--Fitness Basics

Top Bottom