Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Glycemic Index of Parboiled Rice verses Brown Rice.

chicagobuffedbod

Has anyone realized that parboiled rice has a lower glycemic index than brown rice? For this reason it would seem that it is better to eat parboiled rice instead of brown if one is trying to control their insulin output.

I know that the more fiber a carb has the lower its glycemic index. But I'm pretty sure that brown rice has more fiber than parboiled rice. It's weird then, that it has a lower glycemic index than brown rice.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated on this.
Thanks.

by deflaut brown rice should have a lower glycemic index but i don't believe the labs factor in fiber

by taste i would never eat parboiled rice

i will stick to my brown jasmine rice

So you're saying you won't eat parboiled rice simpy for taste reasons only?

I like brown rice a lot but it takes more than twice as long to cook. So I do a quicker alternative.

chicagobuffedbod said:
So you're saying you won't eat parboiled rice simpy for taste reasons only?

I like brown rice a lot but it takes more than twice as long to cook. So I do a quicker alternative.
i just cook large batches in my ricemaker and reheat through the week

wild rice takes twice as long to cook but the fiber content is 4 times as much and the GI is fairly low being it is not a true rice but a grass seed

It's a good idea that you cook enough rice to eat it throughout the week but I find that if I do that, that it doesn't taste fresh and gets dried out. I always cook my food, for the most part, on a daily basis all in the morning and pick at it throughout the day or brown bag it.

chicagobuffedbod said:
It's a good idea that you cook enough rice to eat it throughout the week but I find that if I do that, that it doesn't taste fresh and gets dried out. I always cook my food, for the most part, on a daily basis all in the morning and pick at it throughout the day or brown bag it.
being part chinese, rice is an important part of my diet
being a chef taste is important
beingi work 70 hours a week time is important
i batch cook rice
some of it i eat as steamed rice
some imake into fried rice
some i make into juk (chinese rice porridge)
so nothing is wasted nothing is stale

you are very fit and am sure you work hard at it
i am not that fit
try to work on it
but with my schedule it is almost impossible
i am writing as a chef not a bodybuilder

cheers

chicagobuffedbod said:

Add water or broth to the rice when you reheat it so it won't be as dry....

As far as the glycemic index - combining foods changes the glycemic index so what it's actual rating is becomes moot.....

Hi Obi!! :wavey:

jenscats5 said:
Add water or broth to the rice when you reheat it so it won't be as dry....

As far as the glycemic index - combining foods changes the glycemic index so what it's actual rating is becomes moot.....

Hi Obi!! :wavey:
hey :qt:

obiwan9962 said:

Hi, you're right about changing the glycemic index of foods when combining. Since I don't eat any real sugar when I eat my basic "non-cheating" meals I don't think I have a problem with it. I actually just usually add chicken, green veggies and browth to the mix so in actually I'm lowering the glycemic index even more. But yeah if I drank sugar filled beverages and white bread I would jack it up.

The lower GI rice probably has a higher amylose% than the brown rice. Insoluble fiber has no bearing on the GI of a food so it is not becasue of this. Most Long-grain "high-amylose" rice is very low GI.

Cooking conditions and also length of cooking time will effect the GI as well.

BMJ

Top Bottom