Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

GI Carbs

So is it better to eat a meal after working out with high GI carbs or Just an NLarge shake with maybe some type sugar like cell tech ?

TTORO said:
So is it better to eat a meal after working out with high GI carbs or Just an NLarge shake with maybe some type sugar like cell tech ?

A meal/replacement shake with high GI carbs would be better...that's why most, if not all, post-workout/recovery shakes are made up of mostly maltodextrin or dextrose....they both score 100 on the GI.

I feel rice cakes are a great carb source but I saw that it is high on the GI index. I really don't know why as they are very low sugar and jay Cutler swears off of them as well. Oh rice cakes contain rice hence the high GI index, oops:rolleyes:

I have seen people say Maltodextrin when posting their diets, So basically they mean a shake or is there a purer form. if so does it greatly differ from a shake.

GREAT explanation beezers, Karma para ti.

Silverback316 said:
I feel rice cakes are a great carb source but I saw that it is high on the GI index. I really don't know why as they are very low sugar and jay Cutler swears off of them as well. Oh rice cakes contain rice hence the high GI index, oops:rolleyes:

Yes, rice cakes do indeed contain the magic ingredient...Rice :)

Most rice is high GI. Just because a food is not a simple sugar does not mean it isn't high GI. White potatos, commonly thought of as "complex" carbs, are very high GI. I also think that the cooking "puffing) process of rice cakes increases thier GI value.

Cutler takes a shot of slin with every meal. This make the GI rather irrelevent for him. He needs some high GI carbs with every meal to provide glucose rapidly into his blood so he doesn't end up a comatose hypocglycemic guest poser.

Sources of high GI carbohydrates are those that are high in refined sugar and refined starch, "starchy carbs". Examples of high GI carbohydrates are most cereals (cereals high in bran have a lower GI), white bread, potatoes, rice, popcorn, and carrots. Now, be reasonable, although carrots are high on the GI, a person would have to consume a large amount of carrots, daily, in order to get the full effect as you would from a normal serving of something like white bread. Sources of low GI carbohydrates are those that are high in fiber. Examples include virtually all vegetables (excluding carrots) and fruit. While fruit is high in sugar, fructose, it is low in glucose, which is why it is a low GI carbohydrate. Another reason why vegetables and fruits are low on the GI is because they both contain relatively larger amounts of fiber. Fiber cannot be digested and absorbed for energy by the small intestine. However, fiber can be broken down in the large intestine by bacterial flora. This process results in fermentation in the colon to produce carbon dioxide, alcohol, and/or an organic acid.

Top Bottom