Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gelatin and how to consume it

Lumberg

Hey yall Anthrax reminded me about the benefits of gelatin for your joints and having just had surgery on my elbow I am cramming down the glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil caps, and now I am adding gelatin to my repertoire.

I just bought some regular Knox unflavored stuff as well as Sugar free Jello-o in some flavors I thought I might like.

I was thinking I would just pour some in my protein shake every morning.

My protein shake typically contains several cups of skim milk, 140 ccs of unflavored WPC, and half a banana. If I do unflavored jello I will keep the banana in there and if I do the sugar free I hope that flavor will be enough to make the WPC taste good.

I am wondering how other people eat their gelatin, and also what it is about it that adding boiling water causes it to congeal or "jellify." Also how much does it congeal with just cold water/milk? Am I gonna have to really slurp it down?

Hope this gives people some ideas as well as gives me some, the first day of this experiment is tomorrow....as I wait for the HVAC guy to come fix my furnace

Well just wanted to say I haev tried it 2 ways now:

Jello strawberry flavored....with just WPC and milk...very gritty and kinda weird. lots of pieces settled at the bottom. tasted good tho.

With banana and unflavored Knox--still gritty but the Know is more finely ground and thus mixes up better. This is the preferred method.

Ok otday I put knox in my honey bunches of oats cereal. 2 packets = .5 oz. It was OK but the crunchiness didn't quite cover it up enough. NExt time I'll just do one pack.

Alright guys I am going to bump this thread for a question:

what kind of daily dosage of gelatin do you need to promote joint healing?

Lumberg said:
Alright guys I am going to bump this thread for a question:

what kind of daily dosage of gelatin do you need to promote joint healing?

Dosage :
Dosage Clinical studies suggest that at least 7-10 grams per day over the course of 30-90 days is needed for reduction of pain in patients with moderate osteoarthritis. It is unknown whether lower doses would be as effective or if higher doses might even be more effective or work faster.

Some more info :
Gelatin found to reduce joint pain in athletes (10/26/1998)

By Tony Barker
Communications Manager

MUNCIE, Ind. -- Grandma's favorite gelatin can also help keep athletes' joints healthy, according to a Ball State University study.

Research at Ball State's Human Performance Laboratory showed a gelatin supplement to have a positive effect on joint pain and stiffness in athletes.

David Pearson, associate professor of physical education and a consultant for Nabisco, said the company decided to develop a gelatin supplement to promote healthy joints. Nabisco would market its Nutrajoint supplement under the century-old Knox gelatin brand.

Ball State athletes suffering knee pain were tested last year. Male and female athletes in all sports were included. One group received a placebo while the other group received Nutrajoint for eight weeks.

"Post-test evaluation indicated the Nutrajoint supplement had a significant positive effect on reduction of knee pain," Pearson said. "If there's one thing that sidelines an athlete quicker than anything else, it's a joint problem. This shows that a food supplement such as gelatin can reduce joint pain in athletes."

Pearson believes the results are also encouraging to older adults suffering joint pain.

"It's possible that gelatin can repair minor cartilage damage that may result in greater joint problems later," he said. "It's also encouraging to be able to use a food supplement in alleviating joint pain rather than have to resort to prescription drugs."

While the Food and Drug Administration gives gelatin a rating of GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe), Pearson cautioned that eating gelatin alone is of little benefit.

"The supplement has a greater concentration of gelatin than you would find in the common dessert," he said.

Pearson said the Human Performance Laboratory is proposing to study Ball State faculty and staff diagnosed with arthritis to further determine benefits of the gelatin supplement.

Oh sweet. For a second I thought it was 7-10 ounces a day.

28 grams in an ounce, therefore 1/4 oz a day keeps the joint doctors away! LOL

Props to Anthrax!

Just wanted to update that I have comsumed gelatin in just about every possible way and the best is when I turn my morning protein chake into a coffee shake or hot chocolate. The heats dissolves the granules of gelatin. Unfortunately this can make the protein lumpy so the way to go is to add the sugar and gelatin to the coffee, then add the milk to cool it down, then add the protein, and blend :)

Top Bottom