Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Foods that make you overly gassy (make you fart too often)

nodiggitydave

Sometimes, I can just have a day where I have terrible farts, and they just stink something awful. I can't put my finger on one particular thing.

Except I know Alpen makes me fart terribly and so does all bran.

Are there are others I should be aware of?

I guess eventually this could be a useful thread in the pool of knowledge that is elitefitness... not seen any other similar posts.

In my experience, high fiberous foods, eggs, and protein powder are the fart causes. Simply eating a lot is a fart causer too - I think its just destiny when bulking

But per wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence:

"Flatulence-producing foods are typically high in certain polysaccharides (especially oligosaccharides such as inulin) and include beans, lentils, dairy products, onions, garlic, scallions, leeks, radishes, sweet potatoes, cashews, Jerusalem artichokes, oats, wheat, yeast in breads, and other vegetables. Cauliflower, Broccoli, cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables that belong to the Brassica family are commonly reputed to not only increase flatulence, but to increase the pungency of the flatus. In beans, endogenous gases seem to arise from complex oligosaccharide (carbohydrates) that are particularly resistant to digestion by mammals, but which are readily digestible by microorganisms that inhabit the digestive tract. These oligosaccharides pass through the upper intestine largely unchanged, and when these reach the lower intestine, bacteria feed on them, producing copious amounts of flatus.[5] In the case of those with lactose intolerance, intestinal bacteria feeding on lactose can give rise to excessive gas production when milk or lactose-containing substances have been consumed....

Most starches, including potatoes, corn, noodles, and wheat, produce gas as they are broken down in the large intestine. Rice is the only starch that does not cause gas."

Yeah..broccoli is pungent for me..I have to leave the room. I think everyone is different some people just digest some foods better than others.
Anyone every try that beano?

When I was in high school, Coach taught us to avoid a "bruksch salad" or "bruksch vegetables" because that was a mnemonic device to help us remember what vegetables were potent fart-producers.

B.R.U.K.S.C.H. meant avoiding:

1. Broccoli
2. Radishes
3. Ulloco
4. Kale
5. Sprouts (brussels)
6. Cauliflower
7. Hijiki (Japanese seaweed)

At the Whole Foods salad bar, you can find almost all of these things waiting to be assembled into one bowl if you want to make a bruksch salad and try it out on yourself. It is a great way to end a relationship if you want to breakup with a girlfriend and you are too chicken to just do it. Instead, go make bruksch salads for a few days and just wait for your digestive tract to break up with her for you, since you will give her uncontrollable dutch ovens nonstop every night after the third day of eating these salads.

Ulloco and hijiki are rarer than the other stuff on this list, but I think they make your gas stink the absolute most, more so than even the raw broccoli.

All of the vegetables in a bruksch salad seem to be more stench-producing when eaten raw, too, for whatever. I don't think that is my imagination as I have no trouble when eating some of these cooked or in Chinese food like beef & broccoli, but when they are raw or when one or more of them is assembled in a salad or stir fry, let's just say it is better if I am sleeping alone those nights.

Top Bottom