Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

food addiction?

jkmom

Can you please offer any insight - I work out hard and run. I have been fit and dieted all of my life. Last year I turned 40 and was eating a diet of fruits and vegetables and lean protein here and there. I tried to change my diet to a more balanced approach by adding grains, dairy, etc and found a new habbit of bingeing! I tried again yesterday - bought my oats yogurt cc etc and wound up chowing on everything! Using my all ornothing philosophy I added junk food to the list as well - I am told I am addicted to cooked foods and to go back to the fruits and vegetable dieting - anyone care to comment? Can I handle a real eating plan like the ones posted here?
Thanks for your help!

Mind over matter will go a long way. Also not spiking you insulin levels, the more stable you keep them the less you crave junk and the less likely you are to stuff your face at one sitting. You have to look at your self as superior to the food you are the one in control after all not the food. Try this head to a mall and look at the people in the food court eating junk. Then look at there bodies is that how you want to look? Probably not everytime I do that I notice how fat and out of shape they are my craving for that ice cream sunday fades pretty fast.

Spot on QT. Its important to pay attention to what we call "addictions" -- do you think you have a physical addiction to something or is it just a mental association you have made with "comfort food"? Is it just your current diet & habits? Like anything else, change your behavior to eliminate the mental cravings and ease off the junk, clean up your diet & the sugar & other cravings always seem to just become less & less important, and pretty soon you start to crave a good hunk of grilled chicken instead of a candy bar. And you feel SOOOO much better about it!

You guys are awesome!! Thank you so much! I think long term deprivation haunts me every so often. Sassy - I did go to the mall and you are right - so many people are overweight! I took my daughter to a college pep rally for a nationally ranked girls basketball team yesterday one of the best teams in the country-(don't want to offend anyone by saying which team) and let me tell you the cheerleaders were BIG!! It is a strange time we are living in - junk food is every where! We stopped at Whole Foods today on the way to the mall and I stocked up on oatmeal - they had packets of oats combined with oatbran - 130 cal I also bought some canned tuna - no salt - and some 1% whipped cottage cheese. I plan on running tomorrow on an empty stomach and then combining the oats with egg white or protein powder. Lunch will be tuna and salad, dinner will be fish or chicken and steamed veg. I know I may need some midmeal snacks so I will keep the proitein and cottage cheese handy. I am not competing but just want to eat clean and reduce these cravings! I definatley use food as a tool to avoid everything so hopefully I will retrain my eating habits. Thanks again for all of your help - I would like to keep you posted if that is ok!

not that long ago, i had to face my demon which was food. for me it was definitely mental. all those years of eating crap added on about 50 lbs.
now after going through what i did to get rid of the weight, it doesn't take much to keep me motivated to stay on track.

although after 4 years its still a battle sometimes. but all i have to do is go to a walmart food store on a saturday morning and that's all the motivation i need to stay on track! its so sad to see so MANY morbidly obese families filling up their shopping carts with junk! unreal.

i know its difficult sometimes but just hang in there!!

I can definetly relate to you! I have struggled with eating disorders for ten years. (Im not saying you have one, because i believe all "eating disorders" start in the head and don't want to speak negatively)....(As i should talk myself out of negative thoughts like that!) Anyhow, I was anorexic for a while...year and a half? And when i finally came out of that, i went to the extreme opposite end. If i eat ONE cookie....its then the whole bag AND a half gallon of ice cream!!! It's a constant struggle. I've found that for me, with my all or nothing attitude I can't even have a cheat dAy!!! =( Which is sad. But you learn your own ways of defeating your demons and stick to it. Your definetly not alone. Thats why i wanted to comment, because i always feel better when someone says, "its ok...your not alone, and we can conquer this together!" ;)

Last edited:
Believe - You are awesome! Thank you for your response! Yes I definately have food issues! Seems ridiculous at 40! I started dieting at age 11 and it has been a struggle since! Today I must say I hit the wall and bounced back wonderfully thanks to the support from this thread! I lied to my family so I could go to an appointment for a treatment that results in weight loss. It is a very healthy and safe "cleansing" treatment that people who are in nedd of detox use - BUT I use it as a way to purge! That being said, I just called and cancled my appointment. As Sassy said - once we stop putting junk in things will fall in to place. So thank you to all for your support! I am going to keep my journal here and would love any feedback!

I probably have more food issues at age 40 than at age 20. The difference is that I knwo more about why it happens & what I can do to deal w/ it.

LOL.....jkmom! I know the "cleansing" process your talking About and have done that many times! Not so pleasent and very expensive. I have "issues" with number 2's and no matter what i try...fiber, water, efa's, etc. NEVER works, but when it's over (the "process") you feel so much lighter. I think it's an ok thing every once in a while =) Anyhow... It's a great place to come for advice, support, and encouragement! The girls here know their stuff! Good luck!

Top Bottom