Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fiber counting towards carb intake

sixpack01

alright would like some opinions for me I am trying to hit the 400 carbs mark on a lean bulk etc, I do take in mostly oats, hulled barley, veggies and fruit (2-3pieces) per day. Do you guys suggest I count th fiber content in the carbs sources? I was looking at my log on fitday and if i don't count the fiber its going to be tough as hell to hit the 400 carb mark> Do you guys suggest I count it? Right now I am at like 408 of total carbs and 60 grams of fiber. So should I only go buy 348 total carbs that I should count so I need to get like 50 more to hit my goal? Or should I just count the fiber etc

Also protein in grain soures do u guys count that or only from your whey, chicken, any type of meat or poultry source

sixpack01 said:
alright would like some opinions for me I am trying to hit the 400 carbs mark on a lean bulk etc, I do take in mostly oats, hulled barley, veggies and fruit (2-3pieces) per day. Do you guys suggest I count th fiber content in the carbs sources? I was looking at my log on fitday and if i don't count the fiber its going to be tough as hell to hit the 400 carb mark> Do you guys suggest I count it? Right now I am at like 408 of total carbs and 60 grams of fiber. So should I only go buy 348 total carbs that I should count so I need to get like 50 more to hit my goal? Or should I just count the fiber etc

Also protein in grain soures do u guys count that or only from your whey, chicken, any type of meat or poultry source

i would definitely count the fiber in your carb sources. In the nutrition facts, count total carbs, fiber is already counted i believe in the total carbs.
Do not however count grain sources for protein. These proteins are incomplete sources of protein that do nothing for muscle building.

Fiber has no caloric value in the human body (as it cannot be digested)....so you can't properly include grams of fiber in your tally of total daily calories from carbohydrates.

Ok then bro but what if u combine a grain source with a protein source that would make it a complete protein for example rice and beans so you would still only count the protein in the protein source not the grain source. For example oatmeal 10gs of protein per 1 cup dry combined with 3oz chicken about 26 gs of protein total would be 36gs of protein combined woudl be a complete, So u suggest I go into fitday and take out all the protein from grain sources so it does not include them. Just mark it as 0 for protein for the grains?

Also 6pack would you be able to find me any nutritional info on Hulled barley on my package it says 1/4 dry=32 grams. I weigh everything in grams so how much does 1/4 dry actually make then? 110cals 24carbs, 4gs protein 5fiber per serving, I have looked everywhere the only info I can find is Pearled barley which is more processed then hulled this is what Ihave http://www.organickingdom.com/gr002.html
Thanks

Last edited:
sixpack01 said:
Ok then bro but what if u combine a grain source with a protein source that would make it a complete protein for example rice and beans so you would still only count the protein in the protein source not the grain source. For example oatmeal 10gs of protein per 1 cup dry combined with 3oz chicken about 26 gs of protein total would be 36gs of protein combined woudl be a complete, So u suggest I go into fitday and take out all the protein from grain sources so it does not include them. Just mark it as 0 for protein for the grains?

Also 6pack would you be able to find me any nutritional info on Hulled barley on my package it says 1/4 dry=32 grams. I weigh everything in grams so how much does 1/4 dry actually make then? 110cals 24carbs, 4gs protein 5fiber per serving, I have looked everywhere the only info I can find is Pearled barley which is more processed then hulled this is what Ihave http://www.organickingdom.com/gr002.html
Thanks

Combined or not, complete+incomplete does not= complete. To make sure your getting the right amount of protein, only count complete protein.
Not really understanding your second question. 1/4 dry=32g, If the serving size = 32g with(110cals, 24c,4p,5fiber) and thats what it says, then it should be right. Im not familiar at all with any type of barley, as i dont eat it, so no help there, sorry.

ALright bro sounds good, about the barley yes I was wondering what it would be cooked 1/4 dry how much it would weigh cooked , on the package it just says dry so I make everything i bulk etc. So if i want to measure out a serving of it cooked I need to know how many grams 1/4 dry makes

6_pak said:
Combined or not, complete+incomplete does not= complete. To make sure your getting the right amount of protein, only count complete protein.
Not really understanding your second question. 1/4 dry=32g, If the serving size = 32g with(110cals, 24c,4p,5fiber) and thats what it says, then it should be right. Im not familiar at all with any type of barley, as i dont eat it, so no help there, sorry.

sixpack01 said:
ALright bro sounds good, about the barley yes I was wondering what it would be cooked 1/4 dry how much it would weigh cooked , on the package it just says dry so I make everything i bulk etc. So if i want to measure out a serving of it cooked I need to know how many grams 1/4 dry makes

I see what your saying but its either measured cooked or dry(uncooked), so 1/4dry(uncooked) or 1/4 cooked. Usually with rice, it says on the package both measured cooked and uncooked. Also for rice, i think(dont quote me on this) 1/4dry= 3/4 cooked.

It just has dry on the containeer 1/4 cup dry =32grams , it says nothing about cooked etc,

6_pak said:
I see what your saying but its either measured cooked or dry(uncooked), so 1/4dry(uncooked) or 1/4 cooked. Usually with rice, it says on the package both measured cooked and uncooked. Also for rice, i think(dont quote me on this) 1/4dry= 3/4 cooked.

why not combine two complementary protein and count it as a protein source? Grains + legumes = complete protein right?

As long as you're not a vegan trying to get all of your protein from plant sources then complete and incomplete protein sources aren't a concern. The idea of adding two incomplete proteins to make a complete has been around for decades. As long as you're eating mixed meals with primary protein sources you can count the protein from plant sources. Plant sources of protein actually have the highest naturally occuring amounts of glutamine. Wheat contains all essential amino acids, just having much smaller amounts of three, and thus it's possible to get 100% of your protein requirement from just wheat. Here is an excerpt from the Journal of Clinical Nutrition,

"Wheat is a major source of plant protein for man. In parallel with other cereal staples, wheat proteins do not contain as high a concentration of the nutritionally indispensable amino acids as do animal protein foods. Thus, when consumed as an essentially sole source of protein they are not utilized with the same efficiency as animal protein foods and more wheat protein is required to meet the physiological needs in children and adults for both total protein and specific indispensable amino acids, especially lysine and also for threonine and tryptophan in specific cases. However, when combined with other food proteins such as legumes, oil seeds or animal products the proteins of wheat exhibit excellent nutritional complementarity. Furthermore, when wheat-based foods are considered in relation to broader concerns for diet, food habits and long-term health it is to be concluded that the proteins of wheat can and should continue to make a nutritionally important role toward meeting the protein and amino acid needs of populations throughout both the developing and developed regions of the world. Further research devoted toward improving the digestibility and overall nutritional value of wheat proteins and developing acceptable and economic sources of wheat protein concentrates should contribute to an even more substantial longterm role of wheat as a source of protein in human nutrition. "

If you want to be super anal about amino acid profiles and digestability you could "adjust" every gram of protein you consume based on the PCDAAS. That means every gram of wheat protein coints as .42 grams(pcdaas of .42) and every gram of oatmeal protein would count .57 grams of protein (pcdaas .57). However, this means that meat and fish proteins will only yield between .8-.92 grams of protein per gram consumed. The only protein you could count gram for gram would be dairy and eggs as they have a perfect score of 1.0, anyone listing a PCDAAS higher than 1.0 is bullshitting you as 1.0 is the official highest score. In the grand scheme of things this is ridiculous and there is no reason not to count the 25 grams or so of plant proteins you'll consume along with the 200 grams of meat and dairy sources.

Top Bottom