Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fasting

gymtime

Anyone ever done a 1 or 2-day fast? Girl at my supp shop recommended it. Nothing but water and a non-citrus juice. Said it cleans you out sort of. Gives your liver a rest from all the supps and hi protein diet. Plus it will shed a lot of water. Not looking to do this for a quick, easy weight loss. I'm just curious about any health benefits.

Not sure whether to try it or not. Any opinions?

Yeah, I fast every year for 30 days, but I don't don't drink any fluids either ( I do however drink tons of water before I start fasting and when I stop).

I would say it does have a cleansing effect, but it can also have a catabolic effect on you unless you eat proper foods (casein shake, cottage cheese, meat, whey protein when you stop).

If you are not worried about potential muscle loss, I would say go for it. I've found it's a great way to find out what foods cause problems for me. Sometimes you just eat a bunch of crap and don't know what caused the problem, but after fasting, you starting introducing foods to a clean ssytem, so as soon as you notice a problem you know it's prlly what you just ate.

Personally, I think that whole toxins thing is a bunch of garbage. If you drink a lot of alcohol, your liver probably could use a little rest (or milk thistle extract). But, your liver is an organ that regenerates itself.

Your body runs on food, it likes food, it needs food. Chick magazines are always suggesting fasts or " lemon juice in water to cleanse your system" or enemas, and I think it's just useless advice.

30 days? My God dude, that's amazing! I'm only thinking a day or two. I doubt I could handle much more than that without getting into some kind of trouble with the law.

Keiko, I don't drink as much as my quote suggests. I'm pretty strict with my diet. Have a couple drinks on one weekend night, that's about it. Understand what you're saying though. I could see where it might help a little if you ate real poorly. I don't know. We'll see what the other bros have to say.

Thanks to both for the input!

abrocketsfan

30 days? Is that straight or is that Ramadan(sp) diet? It's just kind of hard to believe that anyone could purposely fast and not drink for 30 days. My guess is you'd be dead within a week. Especially from the lack of water. I've done 36 hours straight before with no problem. But 30 days? There's a difference between a total fast and just eating a little bit each night after darkness.

to clarify things, I meant 30 individual days of fasting, not a 30 day continuous fast!!

I mentioned starting and stopping fasting, but apparently that wasn't very clear. Yes, it's part of Ramadan. It's coming up in mid-November, and I'm gonna try to work with Mr. X to come up with a special CKD diet for those 4 weeks .

gymtime said:
Anyone ever done a 1 or 2-day fast? Girl at my supp shop recommended it. Nothing but water and a non-citrus juice. Said it cleans you out sort of. Gives your liver a rest from all the supps and hi protein diet. Plus it will shed a lot of water. Not looking to do this for a quick, easy weight loss. I'm just curious about any health benefits.

Not sure whether to try it or not. Any opinions?

WoW! I did not realize people actually believe this hype...Let's clear up facts and myths.

1)Fasting is nonsense, it has not been proven by any scientific studies that I have seen, and, in fact, I have read numerous times on MedLine that fasting can cause bodily damage.
2)Fasting is a very easy way to promote fat-loss diets, i.e. hollywood diet...because from dawn of time we believe that eating less equals fat-loss...MYTH
3)Fasting is healthy...MYTH
4)Fasting leads to fat-loss...MYTH
5)Fasting is a good way to make money on people...FACT
6)People believe hype...FACT
7)Fasting can be DEADLY...FACT
8)Fasting=starving...stravation and dehydration = death

I'll leave it at that...NO! fasting is not a good idea to sum things up

Mr.X :cool:

Thanks Mr. X! Actually, the idea of not eating for even 24 hours was not particularly appealing.

But you gotta love the Hollywood Diet folks. I mean, where else but in America can you sell a bottle of fruit juice for $30?

I never intended this to be a quick weight loss thing as I stated in my original post. Nor was I influence by some advertisement promising overnight weight loss. There's a difference between "believing this hype" and asking a question. Just wanted to find out what I could, that's all.

I would not consider it a fast if you're drinking fruit juice. As a person who normally eats only twice a day I also would not consider ramadan to be fasting. But I agree that 2 days without ANY food is not a good idea. It won't kill ya, but it won't 'flush' toxins out either (with or without the fruit juice). It will certainly be a shock to your body (especially if you've been eating high protein and frequent meals).

Top Bottom