Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

excercise induced low blood sugar issues

ariel

Have been having a problem for the past year with some sever low blood sugar WHILE doing cardio.

I had thought I worked it all out...Background.

Last contest I attempted, almost each and every cardio session had me almost in tears, because I felt like I was going to pass out. The diet was fairly balanced, with a decent amount of carbs, cardio was on emtpy, but on advice from my coach, I took a bit of carbs and pro in prior, still the same effects.

Shaky, cold sweat, clouded thinking, inability to drive in traffic sometimes(that got scary) I bailed on the contest prep, because I was 6 months out, and the 5 time a week cardio was already killing me...So, yeah I had other issues that I later found out, that I wrote about here, and I thought the blood sugar thing was because I had no stamina(due to low hormone levels, and that I was simply training on OVERDRIVE for too long)

So took the down time. So for the past month training has been good. Diet FAIRLY clean, but I was eating a good amount of carbs, with bread and a weekly burger, and not freting about the extra starches and eating them freely, just not overeating..>Doing light cardio.

So, last week I decide I am gonna really clean up the diet, go for moderate carbs about 100-120 grams a day, and get the cardio pumping and just set a few week in advance goal of getting a bit tighter, nothing crazy, no big drops, no contest stuff.

So, I hit the cardio starting about 2 weeks ago, no problem as my diet was good, but if I needed the carbs, or cals I would eat....This week, BAM. All carbs from whole food sources. Oats, sweet pot, metrx(20grams per shake once a day) and today was BAD. Did my 45 min of cardio, but was wobbly confused and shaky, and very upset because I thought I overcame this dreaded crap. Gave my body the break on cardio and restrictive eating I thought it was asking for this past summer, and low an behold after a few days of cardio on a tight diet, I literally can't finish a session.

This is not big time precontest mind over matter stuff, it is can my ass get a bit tigher without have the severe sugar shakes every time I do some cardio, and cut the refined starches?

Diet
This week, and last week meals, (last week had a double cheeseburger on cheat day, and also 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on whole wheat)

1650-2000 cals
100-120 grams carbs in whole low gi carbs. had a flour tortilla and jam Once
200-270pro
fat 30-50grams

Yesterday I did have only 70 grams of carbs since I was very inactive. Today I ended up having my cheat meal(which I was not going to have until my goal date of 3 weeks from now, I had to get the stuff in my body NOW) That is the most horrible feeling, especially when I am calculating everything, measuring out everything.

So, do you think I am going to have to deal with this(and I can't deal with feeling like I am going to pass out) any time I try to cut a little softeness off the bod? What does anyone think I am doing wrong?

I have in the past maintained LONG TERM VERY LOW CARB dieting, but that has been at least a year. I do fine of higher carbs, but I stay fatty and watery, and just don't lose fat. Do I suck it up, and not try and diet?

Do I need to eat more? I just don't think I will lose fat with more food....ALL ADVICE WANTED....any imput I am very thankful for. This issue had me stop some really important show preps, and was a non workable issue on a precomp plan.

I am 148 pounds not more than 20percent bodyfat, and dropping a little since the increased androgens...five foot six inches.

ariel

It sounds like the problem I was having, but it was low blood pressure, not low blood sugar. After a week of feeling like I was going to pass out every time I stood up, very fatigued, blackouts, I finally went to my doctor to have it checked out. You may want to do the same to confirm what the problem is. Just to give you an idea, my blood pressure was 90/56 last time I had it checked.

My symptoms get worse the lower my calories are, but I've started taking oral yohimbine hcl while I'm dieting, which has helped. I still have to be careful when I get up in the middle of the night, but that I can live with. BTW - my carbs are < 30 grams during the week - I carb load on Sat and Sun.

Thanks for the response JJ
my blood pressure is sometimes high. Along with my heart rate. The little things really do effect my body. I was stuck in traffic and got lost on the way to the doctors, and 45 mins later after sitting in the relaxing waiting room, complete with new age enya music and pastles my blood pressure and heart rate frightend the nurse, who asked if I had a hard time getting to the office.

My one thought was just overtraining and anxiety, with always prepping for shows. So, like I said, I took some time off, and now just want to make the most of life and health, and yeah I want to see my abs again:)

My reading online, has shown that excercise induced hypoglycemia comes on when excecise patterrns change, and when blood glucose is too low. I have to find the balance. If I increase acitivity to lose bodyfat, but my body won't let me increase activity without an increase in carbs and cals, I see no way in the world that I will be able to ever even consider competeing, let alone fit into my old clothes.

It is a trial and error but I have been through it over and over. Only way things get moving is ZERO carbs, and LOW activity, LOW CARDIO. The input on this board, and so many other opinions is that you need carbs plain and simple. I believe this as well....I would like help to get things moving again, without going KETO as we all know that is not a long term solution.

JJ, also just read the end of you post. Are you show prepping on the 30grams of carbs a day? IS this you long term eating plan? Is your dieting higher in fat?

ariel

r-ALA (300 - 400 mg/d) and chromium picolinate (400 - 600 mcg/d).

Keep you cardio intensity low. Fast walking is plenty and not likely to cause an increase in glucose utilization. The higher the intensity of cardio, the more glycogen and glucose, and less fat you burn.

Sounds like you're very sensitive to the combined effects of even small amounts of insulin and exercise. Exercise causes the uptake of glucose independent of insulin, that's what it is the best treatment for Type II diabetics. However, in the presence of insulin, the combined effects really increase glucose disposal.

You could also having an exaggerated insulin response to carbs for some reason or just be more sensitive than most to somewhat lower blood glucose concentrations. It is also possible that exercise is not shutting down you insulin production for some reason.

Are you show prepping on the 30grams of carbs a day? IS this you long term eating plan? Is your dieting higher in fat?

Yes, this is my pre-contest carb amount, NOT my maintenance, lovin' life and food amount. I'm using the original anabolic diet for this contest; carbs limited to < 30 grams/day Mon - Fri, Sat and Sun are carb loads w/ 60% carb, 30% fat, 10% protein. On my low carb days, I eat more fat - I add clean EFAs to every meal. I haven't calculated out my fat % during the week, but I'm eating 1500 kcals/day, average 15 grams/carb/day, and average 170 grams/protein/day. The rest is fat. On the weekends, my kcals increase 25% (2000 kcal on Sat and 1750 kcal on Sun), and I've been eating about 400 grams/carb on Sat and 300 grams on Sun.

I had the same probem at my last contest and it has turned out to be A LOT more that just low blood sugar...

B True

JJFigure said:
Are you going to expand on that? Or just leave us hangin? :)

I am hoping to learn a lot more first...before I go off the deep end and take the Dr's reccomendation and quit doing any intense lifting.

B True

JJFigure said:
Quit lifting? Ouch - that'd suck. Hope you get it all worked out.

Thanks... alot.

B True

Top Bottom