Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Eating every 2 hours, unnessesary? 3 meals per day work well for bulking?

S

SSAlexSS

I was thinking recently about the topic of nutrition, reading some books and unfortunately I am confused... I used to eat every 2 hours (up to 8 times a day). Now I am not sure if I was doing the right thing.

Lets do math. 10 pounds of LEAN muscle per year is a reasonable goal (even though not even everyone can achieve it). 1 pound of muscle contains 600 calories, so to gain 6000 calories in a YEAR (365 days) you would need to eat 6000/365 = 16 calories per day over your maintainance needs! 16 extra calories per day means that only 4 extra grams of protein is needed!!! (1 gram of protein = 4 calories. 16/4=4). It certainly isnt eat 20 meals per day, or being a regular at McDonalds.

and maintance for MOST people shouldnt be much over 2000-3000 calories per day. So why not eat 3 plain meals per day and grow LEAN FAT FREE muscle? (Each meal would need to be approximately 666-1000 calories, which isnt much to digest).

Protein Requirments: 4 extra protein grams per day to grow muscle. Most calories should come from carbs anyways, to spare protein for real purpose - muscle building.

Anyone can counter it? What is the purpose of
eating every 2-3 hours? Anyone can reply?
reply please! I am confused!

You generally need to eat every 3 to 4 hours. The body is better able to absorb and use the nutrients in a meal than it can when presented with the feast-or-famine scenario of the typical three-meals-a-day pattern. Thus your muscles are never starving, thay always know they will be getting the proper nutrients to grow.

THE BOUNCER said:
You generally need to eat every 3 to 4 hours. The body is better able to absorb and use the nutrients in a meal than it can when presented with the feast-or-famine scenario of the typical three-meals-a-day pattern. Thus your muscles are never starving, thay always know they will be getting the proper nutrients to grow.

Thanks for a good reply... Howeever HOW much calories can your body digest at one sitting? And how much calories do you need to grow? And what 5 hours without food is called famine? In animal kingdom (and we are animals after all) feast is 5 days without a food... Are we so different from animals?

Those are some tough issues.

thanks for a decent reply though!

SSAlexSS said:

In animal kingdom (and we are animals after all) feast is 5 days without a food... Are we so different from animals?

Those are some tough issues.

thanks for a decent reply though!

One large difference between humans (espcially those who would visit this board) is that we exercise and eat well to look good, i.e. have less fat. To use bears as an example, we do not go into hybernation and try to get fat to stay warm for the winter. Granted, some of us do get fat in the winter, but if we could put in muscle without gaining fat we'd be happy, bears would probably be frozen!

Eating more frequently will speed up your metabolism. However, as I am trying to bulk myself, I too am starting to question whether or not I WANT my metabolism to be so quick. So I guess I have the same question, would it be better to eat 4 or so huge meals in a day than to eat 6 or 7 smaller ones?

Thanks,

NateDogg

the whole reason you want to eat several meals a day when bulking is to maintain anabolism. Anabolism is what will help you to gain muscle mass. If you eat something for breakfast at 6am and don't eat anything till 12 noon or 1pm look how many hours you spend w/out food and possibly entering catabolism. You need to eat a lot and eat frequently. I posted a longer piece on a bulking question 2 min. ago, check out the other thread.

riskybizz007 said:
the whole reason you want to eat several meals a day when bulking is to maintain anabolism. Anabolism is what will help you to gain muscle mass. If you eat something for breakfast at 6am and don't eat anything till 12 noon or 1pm look how many hours you spend w/out food and possibly entering catabolism. You need to eat a lot and eat frequently. I posted a longer piece on a bulking question 2 min. ago, check out the other thread.
\

About ANABOLISM...

I have read that in 1975 in Harvard University (a credible source, and hey its Harvard)
it was determined that muscle will grow WITHOUT

"... testestorone, insulin, growth hormone, rest, and even food."
"...Muscle growth is proportional to stimulus..."

now that ruined my day....

I haven't read the Harvard study but I would imagine it was performed on untrained subjects, like most university studies. Untrained subjects respond very differently than someone that is trained. When I first started lifting weights I gained ten pounds of mostly muscle on a crappy diet in a two month period. If I tried that today I would waste away in no time, the closer you come to your genetic potential the more important the "other" things become. On a side note, one of the few areas where mainstream health professionals and bodybuilders agree is that multiple small feedings are better than two or three large feedings.

riskybizz007 said:

Well. Meat and casein might take you like 5 hours (atleast) to digest. So it seems that anabolism can last for so long~~~!

Top Bottom