Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Drinking ice-cold water = elevated metabolism??

DanielBishop

I heard this from a guy online.... I'm not sure if he knows ANYTHING about bodybuilding nutrition, but he was under the impression that drinking ice-cold water will raise your metabolism because your body needs to "heat" the water and thus expends some energy.

I've never heard anything like that, and it doesn't compute with my logic.... I think anything ice-cold would only be heated via convection, and heat would be lost from blood in the capillaries around the mouth, oesophegus and stomach.... this would LOWER your core temperature, and thus have the OPPOSITE effect of thermogenic foods like chilli.

Also, I'm thinking that your body.... as a homeostatic response, might try to divert blood AWAY from the cold area in your stomach, to try and minimise heat loss.... and with less blood going to your working organs, that sounds like it would also drop your metabolic rate.

Any ideas on this? Sounds like a crock to me, but I thought I'd make sure before I go correcting him.....

I've heard this before. It will increase your BMR--albeit very, very slightly. I'd imagine you could force yourself to drink nothing but ice cold water all day long, and you might burn an extra 50 cals. Is that really worth the inconvenience?

I've also read various articles entitled "100 ways to burn 100 calories" that include activities such as tapping your foot 2000 times, but I don't do that either.

Suprisingly a gallon of ice-cold water burns a pretty good amount of calories, there was a pretty good website posted about this a while back if you can find it.

So are you sure that drinking it ice-cold makes the difference to metabolism? Room temperature water wouldn't have the same effect?

*really doesn't wanna be proven wrong by this guy*

MrMakaveli said:
Suprisingly a gallon of ice-cold water burns a pretty good amount of calories

How many?

(beginning to prepare ice cubes...)

Bleh. If it is true, I'd rather diet a little longer and not have to deal with brain-freeze from drinking icy liquid.

my chemistry/ bio teacher said drinking cold water all day is only the calorie burning equivalent of walking up a flight of stairs

gmanlax7 said:
my chemistry/ bio teacher said drinking cold water all day is only the calorie burning equivalent of walking up a flight of stairs

That`s funny because I have to walk up a looong flight of stairs to get my icewater. So by the time I get up there I don`t really need to drink it, do I?

Then I stand there with the water in my hand, wondering if I should drink or not. By the time I decide, It`s warm and It does`nt make sense anymore. So I go back down stairs.

I`ve lost 15 pounds doing this.

Even if you assume that your body would directly use calories to "heat" the water, heating a liter of water by 1 degree celsius is the equivalent of 1 food calorie. So we are talking about 50 calories max. There's no way it's anywhere near that either.

Top Bottom