Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

doing a keto- what did i do wrong?

$5 for ketostix damn. i was thinking it would be $100 or so. i'll go during my lunch hour and get some. ok i'll start adding carb days then. i suppose it wouldnt hurt to use ALA on these days right? im aware on what types of foods to eat for the carb up days but im guessing that mocha fraps and bagels w/cream cheese would be too high in fat. oh well. and yes, i want to lose fat not weight. although im not walking around with 20' arms. i didnt think muscle loss wouldnt matter if youre not a big guy.

the total cals im eating right now are 1800 (give or take). yea i know its way too low. i was sure i was eating around 2k. the total carbs are 17g. there are trace carbs from the eggs, mayo, cheese and whey shakes.

cant post a progress pic here but i did at another board. here is the link for that post. and remember, i know my physique is out of shape which is the reason why im doing this diet.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=236144#post236144

For someone who is severly obese, 2 week results like that are fairly typical. I see it constantly with people who low carb. Hell, my first 2 weeks i lost 25lbs (285 when i started) and it plained off after that. Now i exercise 4 days a week and still eat right and i average about a pound a week. Believe me, this guy is not destroying all of his muscle. I remember even MS telling me a while back that i was probably retaining a good 15lbs or so of water.

Maybe its just me but not only do I find this diet the EASIEST DIET to follow (you know what to eat and what you cant eat, end of discussion, no guessing) my energy levels are great, stable all the time, my moods are great…I’m losing on avg 2lbs a week after the initial 4-8lbs of water loss the 1st 1-2 weeks…I don’t understand why so much drama over the diet? And if you are complaining about strength decrease, well I’m sorry but its time to throw the ego out the window and focus on the issue at hand and that is losing fat and not impressing some douche bag juice heads in the gym with how much you can bench.

Also, if you are worried about not enough cals because you have no appetite…you have to eat CALORIE DENSE FOOD, like cheese and fatty meats and flax seed oil or mct’s..that’s a no brainer..and will get your calorie count up with ease.

You definately aren't obese.

Bro you look like you have made some progress in your pics.

Try a carb up day or two to refill your glycogen so you can have a decent workout.

Good work.

Did you measure your waist before and after? Looks like you lost a few inches. Your pants probably don't fit?

not complaining about strength loss, complaining about lethargy. and i am eating cheeses and flax. i'll have to redo my diet and up the cals. didnt measure my waist no. but my pants are very loose.

well i bought some ketostix and it said that i have a trace amount of ketones in my urine. is that good or bad? does the amount of ketones in your body matter w/fat loss or is having a trace of ketones ok? also, what kicks you out of ketosis, aside from carbs

You are either in or out. So you are in. Doesn't matter how dark the stick is.

I believe citric acid kicks some people out of ketosis. Citric acid is found in most diet sodas.

If you like diet soda test it out. When you are in ketosis drink a can and test yourself afterwards.

I think Diet Dr. Pepper doesn't have citric acid but I could be wrong.

I probably am not gonna add much more that hasn't been already mentioned, but I normally only eat 3-4 meals for a day, and it still works out fine.

Of that 28 pounds, not only is it gonna be a loss of water weight, but there should be a fair amount of glycogen lost as well. Say you lost 5-6 pounds of fat (hopefully), which is not uncommon at the beginning of most diets, especially if you are obese, then that will leave 22-23 pounds to divide up for water and glycogen loss. Regardless, that is still a LOT of weight lost in 2 weeks...damn!

The feeling of lethargy and energy loss is not uncommon on this diet, you must prepare for this ahead of time before starting the diet. Same goes for feeling "flat". Ephedrine, caffeine, and Yohimbine can all help in this aspect if you decide to partake in their use. Drinking lots of water is very important as well!!!! After doing a CKD for 3-4 weeks, your body will start getting used to this style of eating, and you will not feel as bad.

Try to train on the days that you are most glycogenated...the first days after your carb-up, which by the way you SHOULD be doing once a week anyway. I have great results doing 1/2 the body on Monday and half the body on Tuesday. These 2 days I train heavy to positive failure. Then cardio and abs on Thursday. On Saturday, I will perform a full body depletion workout that helps deplete the muscles further of their glycogen stores. DO NOT TRAIN HEAVY ON THIS DAY! Then I begin my carb up. This usually starts around @pm on Saturday and lasts until 5-6pm on Sunday.

I could add more, but I think i must have written that last paragraph about a hundred times these last 2 years, so if you want do a search on my name, as i have explained in detail exactly how I do things in greater detail. My CKD plan is very similar to MR. X's, except I believe I do my training a little differently.

BMJ

I only asked about the blood pressure out of curiosity because it is POSSIBLE to lose 28lbs of just water (or gain it!!!) in 2 weeks, but it seems likely that your blood pressure would have been elevated if you were retaining that much fluid. If that's the case then the keto diet is prolly good for you since it will get your BP down very quickly.

I agree that you should be having some carb-up days if you want your weight training to maintain any intensity. otherwise you can expect some decreases in strength in the gym. As long as you stay in ketosis and are taking enough test then you hopefully won't be losing too much muscle. As for the energy problems, i don't know what the solution is. My energy levels remained pathetic the whole time I was on CKD and I felt sick and headachy except during my carb-up day even though my ketostix showed moderate ketosis from Monday night each week. I was also constantly thirsty and dehydrated feeling and the more water I drank, the worse the dehydration got. Give it another couple of weeks and see if it improves. If you don't feel better by then, keto may not be the best diet for you!

This diet is definately not for everyone..you either hate it or like it.

I loved it and felt great while in ketosis. It was very easy to follow.

I believe I read somewhere that you can split your meals however you like....3 meals, 6 meals...etc.

I have read that most people can store 100 g of glycogen in their liver and 400+ in their muscles.

So lets give hime the benefit of the doubt and say 600 grams of glycogen..when fully loaded.

This is app. 1.32 pounds of glycogen. Plus the 3.97 lbs. water to store the glycogen.

This is app. 5.29 pounds of glycogen and the water used to store the glycogen.

But of course, then there is the extracellular water...

Top Bottom