Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Does this still apply?

wesley90

Obviously if you dont EAT enough cals, your body is gonna break down muscle in order to get the nutrients needed for normal bodily functions...but what about exersizing those extra cals off...does your body still go into deprevation mode if you BURN it off instead of starve yourself?
Thanks.

wesley90 said:
Obviously if you dont EAT enough cals, your body is gonna break down muscle in order to get the nutrients needed for normal bodily functions...but what about exersizing those extra cals off...does your body still go into deprevation mode if you BURN it off instead of starve yourself?
Thanks.

Nope, you can burn as many cals in a day as you want... as long as you are eating above your BMR you are good to go... you could burn 10.000 cals in a day and be OK... (a little bit tired maybe). The energy that is not provided by your food will come off your reserves...

Pintoca

pintoca said:
Nope, you can burn as many cals in a day as you want... as long as you are eating above your BMR you are good to go... you could burn 10.000 cals in a day and be OK... (a little bit tired maybe). The energy that is not provided by your food will come off your reserves...

Pintoca

Isnt muscle considered reserves? I dont want to burn muscle...

wesley90 said:
Isnt muscle considered reserves? I dont want to burn muscle...

It is, and its a very good one indeed, since the body tries to hold on to fat as long as possible for when the next Famine comes...

Obviously youhave to look for "muscle sparing" cardio exercise... (running is not an option, look at the physique of marathon runners). Sprinting is good!!! Explosives bouts of movement, followed by a rest period are generally muscle saving. In any case, too much of a good thing is never a good thing, so you need to find your balance.

I can get away with a total (deficit from food + deficit from training) of about 1700cals/day below TDEE and not burn much muscle...

Pintoca

Keep in mind that marathon runners dont pay as much attention to strength training and protein as we do...they primarly are concerned with carbs and fats...

What I am trying to figure out is if just by keeping yourself out of starvation (500cals + BMR) can you do any amount of cardio without burning much if any muscle?
Thanks.

wesley90 said:
What I am trying to figure out is if just by keeping yourself out of starvation (500cals + BMR) can you do any amount of cardio without burning much if any muscle?
Thanks.

You have to see how your body responds to cardio. Example:

I am 6'0, 31 years, 211 lbs, about 26.5% BF

Now what I found out is that I burn fat at a rate of 80% (for every 10 lbs I loose, 8 are fat, and 2 are LBM). I can live with that number, in fact, it is VERY good. I do this by running a deficit of about 1700 cals daily (1700 BELOW TDEE, but always eat above BMR)

Another thing you need to figure out is how efficient your body is at burning fat: for a 100% efficiency, you would only need to create a 3500cals/week deficit to go down 1 lb.... If you have been in this game long enough, you would have noticed that is normally the case and that you will need to create a larger deficit to go down that same lb of fat. This is your Fat burning efficiency. Mine is about 80%, you need to figure yours out.

Only after you know these two things, you will be able to tell how much cardio you need/can do to go down the amount of lbs you want every week with the amount of LBM lost you can live with. You WILL need to get used to the idea of LBM lost, it is basically imposible to cut without some LBM loses.

In a nutshell, I cannot tell how much cardio or how much of a deficit you can have in a week, you need to try and test.

Top Bottom