Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Does Splenda have negative effects on thyroid function?

Ralph_Wiggum

Simple question: Does Splenda have any negative effects on thyroid function?

I'm about to purchase some ZIP from protein factory and raw coconut oil to help out the thyroid. I don't want to sabatoge this by eating foods on a regular basis that counteract the benefits. Tug-O-war w/ your body's glands != good :(.

I think I'm going to be switching to Stevia. Natural product thats sweeter than sugar and seems to have some positive health benefits, plus 0 calories. Downside is it's a bit more expensive.

As with any artificial sweetener, you should only consume it in moderation. One diet soda daily is unlikely to hurt you. However, if you consume 24 cans daily, then you will likely develop problems.

Some people cannot use artificial sweeteners because it causes migraines, rashes, etc. For the majority of people, they can usually tolerate them. Long-term effects on humans have not been well studied. Rat studies have shown that it decreases thyroid function, but the FDA concluded those studies were inconclusive. I haven't actually read the studies, so I can't comment on their validity. Extremely large doses of aspartame can be neurotoxic.

Personally, I'm a health nut who prefers organics over artificial foods. I would rather down an occasional soda with all its natural sugar and drink water for the rest of my drinks than I would drink a ton of diet soda. Just my opinion, if it even matters.

So it appears that it isn't an obvious "yes", but it isn't optimal for the body, so anything is possible.
Personally, I'm a health nut who prefers organics over artificial foods.

I'm with you swatdoc, I have been eating very clean for a while now, focusing on nourishment not deprivation so I can continue lowering my bodyfat by hard workouts everyday. My body type is largely endo, so starvation and lack of high intensity cardio/weights is a big no-no for me.

Bottleneckblooz: I'm going to look into Stevia as well. When I find the best price, I'll let you know.

Top Bottom