Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Does anyone here thrive on Atkins type diet?

Refeed ranting.

Another keto-thriver here. I'm cutting, and I went 3 weeks without a significant amount of carbs until this past weekend. After polishing off a couple pints of nonfat frozen yogurt, pasta, edamame, and a few Luna bars, I am dying to get back into ketosis. I'm just miserable on carbs, my moods and energy levels are all over the place, versus being very stable and calm on protein and fat alone - I get almost an ephedrine-like euphoria after keto meals lately.

Normally I'd be asleep right now, but I can't seem to relax. I'm about to go for a 4 mile run to drive blood glucose down and speed ketosis along. I never want to see another carb again for as long as I live. (Or at least until my next refeed in a few weeks...) :p

So if we all feel so great, and lose weight on the LOW CARB diets, then why do folks say its so bad for you?

How are these low carb diets bad for you in the long term???

I think most nutritionists and dieticians are concerned that with elevated protein levels, you will also increase saturated fat and cholesterol leading heart complications. But most low carbers I know choose very lean and healthy protein sources.

Along with that, nutritionists are very concerned with the extra work the kidneys have to perform when breaking down metabolites from extra protein.

Other than that though, with new research, I think it will become more universally accepted.

Ryan

I think part of the problem is the lack of long-term studies on low-carbing. Also, I see many so called "educated" people extrapolating data from studies done on people on starvation PSMF diets, which has little applicable data that can be used to draw a conclusion on low-carb diets.

I've always thougt about the economic affects of the american public adopting a low-carb lifestyle. Imagine the affects on our economy if people avoided buying anything containing carbs....big trouble.

I don't think science will embrace the lower carb diets because they've been preaching high carbs low fat so long. They are stuck in their ways and don't want to admit there are other ways. Oh yeah, and I do good on low carbs.

Just think of all that fat free and low fat processed food going to waste if the general public quit eating carbs...

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but the US Department of Agriculture (ie, the people who grow grains) funds the famous "food pyramid". Of course they're going to recommend many many servings of grains/carbs, they have a vested financial interest in it.

Ceebs said:
I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but the US Department of Agriculture (ie, the people who grow grains) funds the famous "food pyramid". Of course they're going to recommend many many servings of grains/carbs, they have a vested financial interest in it.

Preach it Brutha!!! Dis so be da truth! :)

Seriously though, it does make sense. Since when does capitalism reward a company, or organization for being honest and taking a financial hit to themselves in the process? Greed and Profits are the name of the game, and if they have to destroy thousands of lives to accomplish this, then so be it, they will do it.

Well remember carbs arent the enemy. If you know when to eat them and dont mix them with fat (which I think is the real problem in american society besides syndrom X) then carbs are fine.

That being said, I agree with the Dept of Agriculture having a not so healthy interest but maybe with the increased popularity high-fat diets have had, things will change.

Top Bottom