Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

do you lose muscle fasting?

There has been some very general statements made. There are many different types of fasting and each one has its distinct results.
There was a reference given for pub med. I can give many references that state differently about fat free muscle mass loss. This is sort of like the conversation about the results of fasted cardio.
The particular study given only used obese people and was not focused on body mass. I am not familiar with the method of muscle mass used so I cannot comMent on that. Furthermore, the study was from 2010. There has been a lot of studies since then that very well may refute the results.
I am not saying that fasting doesn’t work, just saying that this has two sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been some very general statements made. There are many different types of fasting and each one has its distinct results.
There was a reference given for pub med. I can give many references that state differently about fat free muscle mass loss. This is sort of like the conversation about the results of fasted cardio.
The particular study given only used obese people and was not focused on body mass. I am not familiar with the method of muscle mass used so I cannot comMent on that. Furthermore, the study was from 2010. There has been a lot of studies since then that very well may refute the results.
I am not saying that fasting doesn’t work, just saying that this has two sides.

correct there are many ways to fast. Big Ramy and Hadi both fast once a year for a month. so do almost all middle east bodybuilderse who are now dominating the sport.

the study i posted was from athletes who did alternate day fasting for 70 days. they weren't just fat people who stopped eating. the end results was a loss of a significant amount of fat and muscle did not change. it wouldn't matter if you were fat, skinny, athletic, etc. the human body has mechanisms in place to help preserve muscle and lose fat during a fast

isn't that what we want in this game? lose fat and keep muscle. the other thing i posted showed how our bodies react when fasting. notice protein flat lines but glycogen and fat move rapidly inverted.

even if you prolong fasted hypothetically and stopped weight training during it you would lose globs of fat and any muscle you may lose will be gotten back once you break the fast and start up your training again. so fasting is a weapon

https://blog.2keto.com/protein-loss/ this link shows how fat/ketones and carbs go inverted during a fast and how protein flat lines. the study was done here https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/4915800/ and the bottom line is if humans did not have this happen during 'starvation' our species would have gone exctinct a long time ago. this blows away the idea that you need to eat every 2 hours or any of that other bro science we grew up reading in magazines and it drives supplement companies nuts. they want you to think this so you buy their bcaas, protein powders, weight gainers, etc.

so to answer the OP's question will you GAIN muscle on a fast? no. but you also won't lose it either all things being equal while losing tons of fat. my advice to anyone who is curious is try it yourself. do a simple Monday- friday water fast. just water. i promise you won't lose your muscle like magic lol

correct there are many ways to fast. Big Ramy and Hadi both fast once a year for a month. so do almost all middle east bodybuilderse who are now dominating the sport.

the study i posted was from athletes who did alternate day fasting for 70 days. they weren't just fat people who stopped eating. the end results was a loss of a significant amount of fat and muscle did not change. it wouldn't matter if you were fat, skinny, athletic, etc. the human body has mechanisms in place to help preserve muscle and lose fat during a fast

isn't that what we want in this game? lose fat and keep muscle. the other thing i posted showed how our bodies react when fasting. notice protein flat lines but glycogen and fat move rapidly inverted.

even if you prolong fasted hypothetically and stopped weight training during it you would lose globs of fat and any muscle you may lose will be gotten back once you break the fast and start up your training again. so fasting is a weapon

https://blog.2keto.com/protein-loss/ this link shows how fat/ketones and carbs go inverted during a fast and how protein flat lines. the study was done here https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/4915800/ and the bottom line is if humans did not have this happen during 'starvation' our species would have gone exctinct a long time ago. this blows away the idea that you need to eat every 2 hours or any of that other bro science we grew up reading in magazines and it drives supplement companies nuts. they want you to think this so you buy their bcaas, protein powders, weight gainers, etc.

so to answer the OP's question will you GAIN muscle on a fast? no. but you also won't lose it either all things being equal while losing tons of fat. my advice to anyone who is curious is try it yourself. do a simple Monday- friday water fast. just water. i promise you won't lose your muscle like magic lol

I would like to thank you for the post and information. There was a study on the fasting during Ramadan and it did show that muscle was lost. I read it awhile ago and do not remember the details. This is probably Also skewed because I am pretty sure that their diet was different and it wasn’t a random sample.

I would like to thank you for the post and information. There was a study on the fasting during Ramadan and it did show that muscle was lost. I read it awhile ago and do not remember the details. This is probably Also skewed because I am pretty sure that their diet was different and it wasn’t a random sample.

if you don't workout, train, or sleep during ramadan as many don't then of course you will lose muscle. I don't know if Big Ramy does that or not but good chance he does and sacrifices some muscle to get a good peace of mind, then comes roaring back and builds even more muscle during his feeding stage. we don't improve in a linear fashion in bodybuilding and those bodybuilders with that mentality end up dead.

the study i posted was of athletes who still worked out

also i do encourage people to do long fasts and NOT workout. this gives the body a chance to repair itself. bottom line it isn't the end of the world if you lose some muscle via fasting anyway, the cool thing is you would get that muscle back with new cells

Top Bottom