Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do u need to be on a CKD diet to carb up?!? Or u can be on low carb diet?

Shinobi said:
Im on a low carb diet (100gr carbs)... Do I need to carb up or carb up days are only for CKD users?

Go w/ how "flat" or depleted you are. Regardless of what your taking in...if your flat as hell then you can carb up. Earlier this year I was dieting at just over 10x bdw w/ maybe 100-150g carbs/day (somewhere in that neighborhood) and carbed up for a few hours every third day...worked nicely.

This is going to be a personal thing. It will all depend on the individual. Like Judah said, depends on how flat you look or maybe if your metabolism is starting to slow too much.
The carb up replenishes, but it also helps keep your metabolism up and running.

maybe up the carbs a bit but not a full fledged carb up...this is exactly the type of thing you have to learn about your own body to become an effective dieter...it takes time bro. Best advice is not to just give in and binge...then you won't learn anythign!

Judah Bauer said:
maybe up the carbs a bit but not a full fledged carb up...this is exactly the type of thing you have to learn about your own body to become an effective dieter...it takes time bro. Best advice is not to just give in and binge...then you won't learn anythign!

I agree 100%!!!
Everytime I diet I learn more and more. I wish I knew all I know now when I started to workout 6 years ago :)

Other indications of a need to refeed:

- fat loss plateau
- feeling sluggish or lethargic
- feeling cold all the time
- abnormal increase in appetite

The trick is to refeed before plasma leptin drops too low (i.e., before your metabolism slows down and these symptoms begin to show themselves).

Last edited:
Shinobi said:

I agree 100%!!!
Everytime I diet I learn more and more. I wish I knew all I know now when I started to workout 6 years ago :)

bro if I knew in HS (when I first started training) what I know now, I would be a in so much better shape. But thats all of us I guess. Oh well this is a life long game and its all about learning!

"Other indications of a need to refeed:

- fat loss plateau
- feeling sluggish or lethargic
- feeling cold all the time
- abnormal increase in appetite

The trick is to refeed before plasma leptin drops too low (i.e., before your metabolism slows down and these symptoms begin to show themselves)."

Berardi has an excellent series of artilcles just out in T mag on Leptin. I learned a shitload. The long and short of it seems to be that leptin levels change so quickly that we don't know if a 24 hour carb up will even effect the next day of strict dieting (leptin levels even drop when we sleep). But the research is incomplete and new stuff is coming out all the time.

Judah Bauer said:
Berardi has an excellent series of articles just out in T mag on Leptin. The long and short of it seems to be that leptin levels change so quickly that we don't know if a 24 hour carb up will even effect the next day of strict dieting

Berardi's theory about how quickly leptin may drop after a refeed seems logical - if leptin can be raised quickly in a 12 hour period of glucose overload - why shouldn't it drop just as quickly once calories are reduced below maintenance again?

This notion also seems consistent with my own refeed experiences. After a 12 hour refeed I can go the next day without any significant hunger pangs (even after resuming below maintenance calorie intake) and my energy levels are great, body temp. is normal, etc., - but by the second day I feel like I'm back in that slow-metabolism-diet-mode (i.e., lethargic, etc.,).

I liked his point though, about how the refeeds are beneficial beyond the leptin issue itself (e.g., the mental/psychological aspect is valuable in and of itself).

A good read for sure...

definitely. I still "refeed" but lately I've been doing it differently. I just bump up carbs on days when training requires it. I don't have huge (600g) carb ups as often. And on days when I dont train, the carbs and cals go very low.

Top Bottom