Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

do middle-aged men need less or no starch?

Think of it this way - BTW you really don't need to be a macro freak - if there was any great truth to the idea we'd have died out as a race.

I wrote recently in my tips thread on Evo that we, as a species, have not changed since we started playing sports. Heck we've barely changed (if indeed at all) since we started using languages.

With that in mind we know from personal experiences that there have been times when we have managed to carry on doing an arduous rask when hungry. We know from how hard training was to how we adapted to it.

Ergo we know, to quote Stevesmi, that we can adapt to training fasted. That our bodies will, if need be, use stored fat over fuel in our blood or digesting in our gut.

Therefore, how much of a difference does carbs make? How long before the gym do we need to eat (I've written of how this ignores the food you had throughout the day). To then debate the differences of, for example, a 16 year old, a 24 year old and someone more middle aged is, it has to be said, nit picking and, as has been said, if it DID make a difference it'd be tiny.

By way of example several studies, covering all ages, showed little or no difference in performance between those using sports drinks and those using water.

To finish: we cover the 'masses' because 100+ people read every answer. And we encourage those to leave the nitty gritty alone because it can all too often mean the basics aren't being covered.

Think of it this way - BTW you really don't need to be a macro freak - if there was any great truth to the idea we'd have died out as a race.

I wrote recently in my tips thread on Evo that we, as a species, have not changed since we started playing sports. Heck we've barely changed (if indeed at all) since we started using languages.

With that in mind we know from personal experiences that there have been times when we have managed to carry on doing an arduous rask when hungry. We know from how hard training was to how we adapted to it.

Ergo we know, to quote Stevesmi, that we can adapt to training fasted. That our bodies will, if need be, use stored fat over fuel in our blood or digesting in our gut.

Therefore, how much of a difference does carbs make? How long before the gym do we need to eat (I've written of how this ignores the food you had throughout the day). To then debate the differences of, for example, a 16 year old, a 24 year old and someone more middle aged is, it has to be said, nit picking and, as has been said, if it DID make a difference it'd be tiny.

By way of example several studies, covering all ages, showed little or no difference in performance between those using sports drinks and those using water.

To finish: we cover the 'masses' because 100+ people read every answer. And we encourage those to leave the nitty gritty alone because it can all too often mean the basics aren't being covered.

Thanks for taking the time for this; its just like I feel so like I’m so annoying & I wanted to get some clarification. I read the FAQ’s, but honestly i don’t remember specific language that discouraged drill down questions...maybe because I saw so much knowledge on display here and other boards I was carried away. I will re-read the FAQ & I will be more conscious to abide. Maybe you have a suggestion of a good forum to waste my time kicking around maybe stupidly detailed stuff. I’m not being sarcastic toward you or the forum I promise, its hard to communicate self-deprecating humor through text. Anyways, I’m very glad to get the clarification.

As far as the macros thing, I appreciate what you said, but again, that advise I think would be for the normal person. I literally do not know when I’m hungry or full or even judgement about food amounts. It’s been like that since I can remember as a child. If I don’t track it, I could be eating 1000’s of calories under or over. I understand in the medium term I could adjust as I see my body responding, but I’d rather just stay on top of it rather than correcting all the time. It might be worth noting your mention of survival is not my goal. I’m looking to push normal performance on many different levels. It is also worth noting my personal experience, I used to just wing-it and use my natural instincts and general advise & standards for years in training, it was not until I started really tracking and finding my personal optimized levels or whatever on everything and strictly following it that I made real break-though advances. I am genetically disadvantaged in many ways and need every little advantage i can achieve. they add up, believe me.

Again,
Thank you for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These 'one size fits all' diet recommendations do not work.

MOST middle aged men are inactive so they should consume less carbohydrates. Yes.

However, the same recommendation does not make sense for middle aged men who are regularly active

I can tell you from my personal experience, at 36 years old, I need much less carbs than I did even 5 years ago. If I eat too many I can easily add body fat.

I can tell you from my personal experience, at 36 years old, I need much less carbs than I did even 5 years ago. If I eat too many I can easily add body fat.

But why? Are you less active for example?

When I was 20-27 I worked a hard laboring job in a meat plant. Towards the end there were times I'd do 17 hour days, 7 day weeks etc. Obviously my carbs and fat would be burned like f**k.

Now if I do some, as I did this weekend, a little trail walking I'll burn some then. My work varies (although I only do 2 days a week) so some days I do a little laboring and others more. My gym work doesn't burn loads.

Top Bottom