Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

do middle-aged men need less or no starch?

splizzit

what do you guys think about this I read from an article talking about carbs cycling for muscle pumps.... it then got more general with this statement -
“Middle age adults will want to shift away from excess starches in their diet and focus more on consuming a combination of lean proteins, greens, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, and healthy fats.
The whole idea is that you just don’t need the same amount of starch carbohydrates you did when you were younger. And for that matter your body is likely not optimized to use a lot of starch and sugars for fuel due to changes in insulin sensitivity.”

i think it would be difficult for me to get enough carbs from greens and non-starchy vegetables; and i get the feeling here most dont agree with a lot of fructose from fruits. giving up sweet potatoes & brown rice & quinoa etc. wow!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd ask why. If, as a guess, they are either suggesting that people my age do less exercise or work then maybe (and even then that BS in my case) or that (unlikely) we somehow change then they are full of shit.

I'd ask why. If, as a guess, they are either suggesting that people my age do less exercise or work then maybe (and even then that BS in my case) or that (unlikely) we somehow change then they are full of shit.

the topic was getting muscle pumps. lots of things were mentioned (potassium, nitrogen, food, supplements, lifting routine, etc); but when it got to carbs, the author suggested carbs and glycogen loading can support this pump (esp 100-200 morning & some after strenuous exercise. since you cant eat 500g carb ed (well for the average non-hulk I guess), he suggested carb-up 3 days in a row, then drop to moderate. the caveat was to older men STILL actively bodybuilding & looking for a period of muscle pump in the workout cycle. He was suggesting that the carb up or carbs in general should be lower in grams and less starchy in composition as compared to a younger bodybuilder who has better insulin sensitivity & (the strange part) less need of carbs for fuel so therefore i guess can rely more on fats.

this obsession over fueling muscles and insulin sensitivity does not apply to 99% of us..

you don't need to 'fuel up' before a workout bro. i laugh when people try and tell me this nonsense. if you go to a half marathon race you don't see guys sitting around eating carbs and those guys burn way more glycogen than a weightlifter will dream of.

you notice how in the gym so many guys are perma bulkers? that is because of stupid articles and advice like this that teach guys that they need to over eat or they will starve their muscles

this obsession over fueling muscles and insulin sensitivity does not apply to 99% of us..

you don't need to 'fuel up' before a workout bro. i laugh when people try and tell me this nonsense. if you go to a half marathon race you don't see guys sitting around eating carbs and those guys burn way more glycogen than a weightlifter will dream of.

you notice how in the gym so many guys are perma bulkers? that is because of stupid articles and advice like this that teach guys that they need to over eat or they will starve their muscles

I appreciate the advise. I no longer worry over this and often lift fasted (as you do as well). I now wait an hour after lifting due directly to your recent advise & because I’m cutting a bit of weight now; and its a success so far.
But this topic of fueling wasn’t my original question; I just offered all the background because masonic’s reply seemed to request more background on the context of the article
My original question was not about loading or anything else in the article; just the part about older men needing less starch & carbs in general. I’ve read more often older men need less protein, that’s why i asked about this statement. Just, in general, do macro needs change for an aging weight lifter (whatever form or sport or purpose).
Thanks.

the topic was getting muscle pumps. lots of things were mentioned (potassium, nitrogen, food, supplements, lifting routine, etc); but when it got to carbs, the author suggested carbs and glycogen loading can support this pump (esp 100-200 morning & some after strenuous exercise. since you cant eat 500g carb ed (well for the average non-hulk I guess), he suggested carb-up 3 days in a row, then drop to moderate. the caveat was to older men STILL actively bodybuilding & looking for a period of muscle pump in the workout cycle. He was suggesting that the carb up or carbs in general should be lower in grams and less starchy in composition as compared to a younger bodybuilder who has better insulin sensitivity & (the strange part) less need of carbs for fuel so therefore i guess can rely more on fats.

Possible but..

How great of a difference woukld there be.

Drugs would need to be removed from the equation and finally

The sensitivity may only be true if both are untrained.

I appreciate the advise. I no longer worry over this and often lift fasted (as you do as well). I now wait an hour after lifting due directly to your recent advise & because I’m cutting a bit of weight now; and its a success so far.
But this topic of fueling wasn’t my original question; I just offered all the background because masonic’s reply seemed to request more background on the context of the article
My original question was not about loading or anything else in the article; just the part about older men needing less starch & carbs in general. I’ve read more often older men need less protein, that’s why i asked about this statement. Just, in general, do macro needs change for an aging weight lifter (whatever form or sport or purpose).
Thanks.

This IS true. If they don't train. Like an old retired fella won't need half as much as a young blood working his ass off.

I'd also contact the writer regarding his logic.

sorry. i said the wrong user name b4. I meant steve. not masonic.
yeah, good idea, a long article expressing implied authority on a subject yet lacking evidence or sources or logic as you said is irritating.

again, I always appreciate your feedback. getting alternate views expands my range of what i have experimented with to learn if it works for me. So, please, don’t take this as a complaint, I simply want to start a brief dialog about a sort of catch 22 I see here. Not necessarily this question & thread. I understand fully that the moderators here must be very cautious with their replies due to many newbies or uninformed or inexperienced etc users. I often see the remark paraphrased “careful, people are just looking for an excuse to....x”. The catch 22 I see is that this often creates these replies geared toward the lowest common denominator which is unhelpful to me personally. I know its a community, but I am asking the question for selfish reasons haha. I often get the answer like “in most people in won’t make that big a difference” & that diet and training regimen & all that are the most important.” agreed, but I got that covered. I understand the need to say that this fueling concept just gives an excuse or habit to overeat - for other readers. for a direct answer to me, that is not useful. I’m a macro freak. I track everything & have daily caloric & macro goals. so, if I were to “fuel-up”, i would decrease & adjust any other meals to still be at my daily goal. Since I read something from you recently stating you consider it best to eat small breakfast, big lunch, & small dinner, I am currently trying it since I tend to be a grazer. So any big “fuel-up” would not contradict your advise as to having 1 large meal. I know your 1st paragraph answered fueling up is unnecessary with another ex of runners, I told you, this thread isn’t the best ex.
sorry this is long..... I just want to be clear so u don’t misunderstand my concern.
#2. So back to the “its a small %” thing. I get it, but I have experimented with everything for many years and have never been able to push past my genetic plateaus in respect to my objectives. I know them well. muscle mass vs my speed vs my fat% etc for changing purposes over time. my point is, to me, small %’s of positive change would be of great interest. thats why i fidget and ask all these annoying questions. I would love to find 1 more little tweak that could provide a few %’s benefit. string 3 or 4 together....
Extremely long story short - maybe moderators could answer the question carefully for risk reduction, then give an answer geared to more knowledgeable & really geeky user. I have no right to ask a pm from you guys with lives to live, so thats why I bring this up. The need on public boards for moderators to give measured answers can render the board less useful for those seeking more open discussion.
This question is not the best example of a need for more open discussion, it just triggered this feeling from some previous discussions. on some of the other boards might be where health stakes are higher.
Thanks for reading this & if you find my concern at all valid, maybe other moderators have an opinion.

and yes....i forget who, i think its steve that always says to me.... i AM overthinking it i know. a bit. but the science interests me and that usually involves small %’s & a lot of overthought detail.

Top Bottom