Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

do cheerios have good carbohydrates?

sensei JKF

My kid is 11 years old and he is under a diet cuase he is getting fat and the doc recognized it, I give him cheerios for breaksfast once in a while instead of bacon and pancakes, I wanted to know if cheerios are good or bad carbs.

Cheerios are made from oatmeal so yes, they are very high in carbs. They aren't a terrible carbohydrate source. Oatmeal would be better as it's unprocessed but cheerios are a much better option then pancakes or other kids cereals that are full in sugar. Just make sure to get the regular cheerios and not the honey nut cheerios which are full of sugar.

Here is the nutrition facts for 100g of cheerios. The nutrition facts aren't terrible. It has a decent amount of fibre and it's pretty low in sugar.

Amount Per 100 grams
Calories371

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10%
Saturated fat 1.4 g7%
Polyunsaturated fat 2.4 g
Monounsaturated fat 2.4 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0%
Sodium 576 mg24%
Potassium 641 mg18%
Total Carbohydrate73 g24%
Dietary fiber 9 g36%
Sugar 4.4 g
Protein 12 g24%

If you want something low carb to eat for breakfast, stick with vegetables, eggs, and lean meat. You could make a big omelette with some lean ground turkey and vegetables in it.

i wouldn't give him cereal. i would give him eggs instead for breakfast but as musky said it isn't so bad. but what could be killing him is the milk with the cereal.. milk is very fattening

also at his age you need to get him involved in sports. as much as parents spoil the kids with video games, this is a bad disease. get him outside and exercising and away from the couch as much as possible.

The key with cheerios would be to measure out a proper serving. It is easy to eat 4 servings of cereal if you are not aware of a proper serving size.

I like Steve's idea though of eating some protein and good fats like eggs. They are an amazing food source.

Top Bottom