Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Disadvantages to a fruit & veggie only diet?

Millie

Hi guys,

I am asking this question for educational purposes only.

I am interested in the disadvantages of a diet consisting of only fruits and vegetables. How does that affect a person's health? How long does it take before the body goes into catabolism? Would the insulin levels be too high to prevent any fat loss? How would the rate of fat loss compare to other diets such as keto, or isocaloric, etc.? If the diet were slightly modified by adding some protein - 1g per lb of bodyweight - would that diminish the negative effects?

I would appreciate any feedback on this topic, or at least if you can direct me to literature or studies with more info on it.

Thanks in advance

The first things that comes to mind are that such a diet would be ridiculously low in protein, and your body only has enough phosfructokinase (fructose -> glucose converting enzyme) to deal with 50 grams of fructose a day. You might experience some bloating, gas, or gastrointestinal distress from the sudden influx of fiber as well, if your body wasn't used to so many fruits and veggies. Light a match. :rolleyes:

Insulin response will depend on the GI of the fruits/veggies ingested. Fruits in general have a higher glycemic index than vegetables, but something extremely starchy like a white potato would not be as good a meal choice - insulogenically - as a low GI, high fiber fruit. (Personally I'd chuck all fruits other than berries, and all vegetables besides cruciferrous ones and possibly bell peppers.)

Anyway, a diet of all fruits and veggies won't kill you - otherwise people who do "juice fasts" would be dropping dead left and right - and it's definitely healthier than the way most Americans eat, but protein deficiency would definitely be a concern.

disadvantages with just fruits and veggies is that you will loose a ton of muscle. but you will be lean but have no muscle. youd be a bony ass biatch :)

ummm, thanks guys. but this is all general knowledge. i was asking for a more indepth explanation - like i said, i am asking this for educational purposes; i am writing a paper on the topic. and my questions are in relation to a diet consisting of just fruits and fibrous vegetables (not starchy vegetables).

yes, i know that a diet with no protein will result in muscle loss, that's why i asked how long it takes before the body becomes catabolic.

what negative effects will this have on a person's health?

will the fruits keep the insulin levels too high for any fat loss to occur?

how would the rate of fat loss compare to other diets, for example a keto diet, an isocaloric, high protein, mod carbs, low fat?

how would adding some protein (eg 1gr per lb of bodyweight) affect this diet?

any help from the diet experts would be nice.
MS? PwB?

thanks

Low in "complete" protein.

Meats (especially Red meat) provides a ton of amino acids.

For protein to be complete it must contain all of the aminos that your body needs (but it cannot produce). Red meat is seen as the "best" by some because it contains the closest match of for humans to grow muscle.

From what I have been told, soy is not "complete" but Whey is.... so unless you are stocking on on Whey you probably are not getting enough of the right protein to sustain your muscle.

I've also read that too much Whey COULD be bad ... but I'm not entirely familar with why.. something about estrogenic fat storage or something.

Brian

Top Bottom