Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Difference between sugars post workout

rocky_road

OK. I have a problem with drinking Gatorade or some other "sugary" drink post workout because I don't really enjoy it that much.

I'd so much rather eat a serving of Chocolate Angel food cake.

But is it the same?

Angel food cake is made up of 30 g carbs (mostly from sugar), with 3 grams of protein and .5 fat.

Is eating this way less beneficial as drinking something with dextrose?

I don't see what the difference is. Please help me understand!

rocky_road said:
OK. I have a problem with drinking Gatorade or some other "sugary" drink post workout because I don't really enjoy it that much.

I'd so much rather eat a serving of Chocolate Angel food cake.

But is it the same?

Angel food cake is made up of 30 g carbs (mostly from sugar), with 3 grams of protein and .5 fat.

Is eating this way less beneficial as drinking something with dextrose?

I don't see what the difference is. Please help me understand!

I dont know. But from the stuff I have read, the main difference is liquid vs solid, and the liquid is better absorbed. Also I believe glucose, fructose, and dextrose are more readily absorbed than sugar.

dextrose=basic form of dextrose
fructose=fruits and veggies, for the most part

both are monosaccharides

angel food cake=sucrose aka table sugar is a disaccharide

I don't know the glycemic indeces or loads of the top of my head but I know dextrose is close to 100, and being a monosaccharide I would assume it digests the quickest.

I can add that dextrose is comprised of two glucose molecules, therefore there is no need for it to be broken down into component sugars before entering your bloodstream, as in the case with sucrose.

Also, there is a low tendency for dextrose, compared to other sugars, to react with amino groups in proteins,called glycation. This reaction destroys or impairs the function of many enzymes.

It's true that sugar is sugar, and too much of it in any form is bad for you. Some maintain that nutritionally there's little difference- WebMd.com for instance. Obviously, mainstream sports nutrition feels dextrose is mo' better, faster. I'm sure not qualified to know.

One idea would be to use dextrose in the angel food cake (keep in mind it's only 70% as sweet). this way you wouldn't lose benefit of the essential chocolate nutritional group . Of course, you'd have to shop for Aztec-process chocolate that is absent of additional sugars, but it's probably worth it.

pwo simple sugars are not a staple to bodybuilding....yes they def have benefits but if you don't like them find something else that will work or tweak your diet around. personally if i don't have a gatorade on hand i either eat some bluberries or i have a rice cake....but i do make sure i intake some sort of carbs asap..... you could have a pre-workout meal consisting of protein and good carbs about 20 minutes before...this way your body is not completely glycogen deprived (taking into account your not in the gym for 2 hours). but, if getting these simple sugars pwo is that important you would just suck it up and drink a gatorade...or buy some dex and throw it in your shake. lotta people here don't like what they eat and drink...we eat for fuel...not for taste. good luck

jpt said:
pwo simple sugars are not a staple to bodybuilding....yes they def have benefits but if you don't like them find something else that will work or tweak your diet around. personally if i don't have a gatorade on hand i either eat some bluberries or i have a rice cake....but i do make sure i intake some sort of carbs asap..... you could have a pre-workout meal consisting of protein and good carbs about 20 minutes before...this way your body is not completely glycogen deprived (taking into account your not in the gym for 2 hours). but, if getting these simple sugars pwo is that important you would just suck it up and drink a gatorade...or buy some dex and throw it in your shake. lotta people here don't like what they eat and drink...we eat for fuel...not for taste. good luck

This is probably the best post I've seen about this subject. I've never done the "sugar" thing, but I always have a good carb source immediately after my workout. During this cutting season, I have 2-3 white corn tortillas. I eat 1/2-1 whole tortilla while drinking my shake. I have the remaining tortillas with my PWO meal (egg whites).

nycgirl said:
This is probably the best post I've seen about this subject. I've never done the "sugar" thing, but I always have a good carb source immediately after my workout. During this cutting season, I have 2-3 white corn tortillas. I eat 1/2-1 whole tortilla while drinking my shake. I have the remaining tortillas with my PWO meal (egg whites).

i try :)

vin01 said:
dextrose=basic form of dextrose
fructose=fruits and veggies, for the most part

both are monosaccharides

angel food cake=sucrose aka table sugar is a disaccharide

I don't know the glycemic indeces or loads of the top of my head but I know dextrose is close to 100, and being a monosaccharide I would assume it digests the quickest.

I can't edit this post now, but what i meant to say was dextrose=basic form of glucose.

Just needed to clarify that. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom