Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

difference between atkins and keto diet?

Atkins diet is A ketogenic diet, but not all ketogenic diets are atkins. A keto diet is a diet where energy utilization shifts away from glucose use and towards ketone and free fatty acid use. To be ketogenic diet carbs must be below 100g a day. Atkins induction diet is generally ketogenic since carbs are around 20g a day and you are allowed to eat protein and fat. Atkins is a quack and gets most of his facts wrong. He doesn't believe that calories count, believes in a magical fat mobilizing substance in ketosis, misrepresents the studies where water is lost, not fat, etc. I can go on but he isn't a good example of a good keto diet source. Also, a high fat intake isnt necessary for ketosis to develop, its the absence of carbs as well as not overdoing protein. i can go on but heres a real quick explanation. Let me know if you need more details.

For bodybuildiers/lifters there is a SKD, TKD, and CKD.
SKD (standard keto diet) is a strait keto diet w/ no carb ups, similar to atkins type diet.

TKD is a targeted ketogenic diet, where carbs are ingested around training.

CKD is a cycling ketogenic diet where you eat low carbs during the week, and carb up on the weekends.

which of these have u found most efficient and quickest way for losing body fat? Also, i've read so many different things on carbup days...are carb ups for one whole day, or only a few hours and how far above maitenance can u go before it's stored as fat? i appreciate your help.:fro:

Check out the women's discussion board - there's been plenty of recent discussions on refeeds.

As far as how much you can go before it's stored as fat - I think that's something everyone has to find out for themselves. The plan I follow (Natural Hormonal Enhancement) has women refeed w/ AT LEAST 40 grams/carbohydrate in one meal twice a week (3rd and 7th day of the week). When I'm trying to gain muscle, I refeed with at least 200 grams/carbohydrate spread over two meals. I'm cutting right now, so I refeed with 75 - 150 grams of carbohydrate, depending on the caloric limit I've set for myself that day, and I refeed every 4 days (slightly less frequently than when bulking).

The NHE refeeds are not real refeeds. They are way too small and too short in duration to benefit leptin at all, the best they can do is refill muscle glycogen and liver glycogen to some degree.

The weekend carb-ups on a ckd generally last 24-48 hours. They can really be pushed high in terms of calories/carbs. To benefit leptin calories need to be above maintenance. Recent study showed eating 500-700g carbs resulted in basically no fat storage. Denovo lipogenesis (conversion of carbs to fat) rarely occurs in humans unless (inactive, carb stores filled to max, which wouldnt happen from a week in ketosis, several days of eating high carbs, and high fat/high carb refeeds) so keep fat low, and try to really overeat the carbs, see how far u can push it. Currently doing a plan w/ more frequent refeeds, and its working great. I diet hard for 2or3 days and refeed to prevent a big drop in leptin/metabolic rate. Check out what i'm doing in the post by nclifter6feet6 about his failed diet.

I suggest you try to find either Lyle's "The Ketogenic Diet" or Dan Duchaine's "Body Opus" both are great in running ketogenic diets. The length and size of your carb up depends on a couple factors at least. First, how well do you handle carbs? If your body tends to store them as fat easily then your carb-up time should be reduced to 24-36 hours and the amount taken should probably be lowered as well. Also the kind of workout you do can effect carb-ups. Lets say you deplete the muscle completely. Now since your muscles are primed to store carbs you should take in somwhere around 14xbw in different forms (liquid, then solid, etc) (buy lyle's book for more help..Im very absent minded about figures todeay sorry). Take ALA too....that way you can ensure minimal fat gain.

True - I mainly cycle carbs in to replenish my muscle and liver glycogen. I'm also natural, so I have to be careful with my calorie intake - I can't do hours of cardio to burn it off without sacrificing muscle.

Every once in a while, I would let my carb intake go higher (up to 1000 calories over maintenance), but I tend to suffer for it the next day so I quit doing that. It was fun while it lasted though. :)

Top Bottom