Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dairy Foods Low Glycemic Index, But High Insulin Response?

cytrix

i read somewhere, that some foods, especially dairy, are listed low on the glycemic index, but still have a high insulin response, what does that mean? i thought a low GI means low insulin output??? i'm confused now. what other foods are there like that, except dairy?

A high GI doesn't necessarily mean a high insulin response. Some foods may increase blood glucose because they reduce the sensitivity of your insulin response, in other words they increase insulin resistance. Some dairy products (especially high fat ones) may have this effect.

how do you know what to eat now? i want to stick with carb sources, that will keep my bloodsugar stable. still, i don't quite get it, if i eat a food that does not make the body produce a lot of insulin but instead decreases insulin sensitivity, what hap[pens then exactly, if not that the body would put out more insulin?
please, explain if anybody knows, thank you so much!!!

If you just want to keep your blood sugar stable then stick to low GI carbs in a small mixed meal. Carbs from dairy sources are good for this since the lactose gets broken down to galactose (and glucose). Galactose is about the lowest GI sugar you can eat, and will also reduce the glycemic effect of the glucose.

cytrix said:
how do you know what to eat now? i want to stick with carb sources, that will keep my bloodsugar stable. still, i don't quite get it, if i eat a food that does not make the body produce a lot of insulin but instead decreases insulin sensitivity, what hap[pens then exactly, if not that the body would put out more insulin?
please, explain if anybody knows, thank you so much!!!
eat low GI carbs-see www.mendosa.com

Thanks MR BMJ, that study gives a hint of what happens with dairy foods. Work at our institute indicates that what is really happening is that some components of milk/whole dairy products blunt the response of insulin receptors. This causes the body to churn out more insulin. Whey protein isolate also seems to moderately blunt insulin sensitivity which may also explain it's increased insulinemic response. By itself milk products do not raise blood glucose levels significantly, but it is prolly a good idea to avoid combining dairy products with other carbs.

This is why I recommend that you consume simple sugars post workout rather than the highest GI food you can get your hands on. Just because a food has a high GI does not mean it will be blasting nutrients into your muscles. Many high GI foods may have exactly the opposite effect. However foods that have a low GI are probably truly low GI when eaten by itself. But an index of insulinemic response to foods (both in isolation and in mixed meals) would be a boon to bodybuilders and insulin resistant people. Remember the GI was developed to aid type 1 diabetics (who don't have to worry about insulin response). Seems to me it's time to address type 2 diabetics requirements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom