Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cutting: What to eat after an early morning cardio

ASU

Wondering if I have my post weight training shake after an early morning cardio (assuming I dont lift that day) or just have my normal fat +protein & veggies meal?

ASU said:
Wondering if I have my post weight training shake after an early morning cardio (assuming I dont lift that day) or just have my normal fat +protein & veggies meal?

Personally I wouldn't touch fat first thing in the morning - and especially right after a tough cardio session. Your body is glycogen depleted in the morning and after cardio/lifting - you want to give it protein and some carbs.

Right now I'm adjusting my pre/post workout food based on what my cardio workout is going to be. If I have the time to do an hour of low-intensity cardio then I eat some oats and whey before and my malto/dextro + whey after. If I am doing a quick high intensity workout I don't eat before and do the malto/dextro + whey after and the oats a little later.

ASU said:

It makes sense to me that doing cardio on an empty stomach is best for fat loss, which would be your main reason for doing it, right??? your glycogen levels are depleted, for this reason the fat burning process will be jump started quicker. I believe that if you eat carbs prior to cardio, the calories from the carbs will be burned off first. This isnt optimal.

Also, why would you have a pwo if you dont weight lift that day. The purpose of the pwo is to restore muscle glycogen that had been used up during weight training. If you dont weight train, you dont need the pwo. NO BENEFIT WHATSOEVER. Actually, the extra sugars will definitely hurt your diet. This is a fact, not just my opinion, so take it for what its worth.

After cardio, wait 30 min, eat a fat/pro meal. By the time of your next meal, 2-3 hours later, you would be ready for pro/carb meal. By doing this you are prolonging the fat burning process. FYI, eating carbs after cardio, halts the fat burning process!!!!

6_pak said:
It makes sense to me that doing cardio on an empty stomach is best for fat loss, which would be your main reason for doing it, right??? your glycogen levels are depleted, for this reason the fat burning process will be jump started quicker. I believe that if you eat carbs prior to cardio, the calories from the carbs will be burned off first. This isnt optimal.

Also, why would you have a pwo if you dont weight lift that day. The purpose of the pwo is to restore muscle glycogen that had been used up during weight training. If you dont weight train, you dont need the pwo. NO BENEFIT WHATSOEVER. Actually, the extra sugars will definitely hurt your diet. This is a fact, not just my opinion, so take it for what its worth.

After cardio, wait 30 min, eat a fat/pro meal. By the time of your next meal, 2-3 hours later, you would be ready for pro/carb meal. By doing this you are prolonging the fat burning process. FYI, eating carbs after cardio, halts the fat burning process!!!!

Doesn't it depend on what your goals are? I understand what you are saying, but if you are trying to drop some fat while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible then don't you want to keep your muscle gylcogen from being depleted for extended periods of time and run a caloric defecit for the day as a whole? You'll lose less fat this way, but be in better shape for the long run since you'll be maintaining more muscle. I'm no expert on this, so let me know where my thinking is faulty.

AirWolf said:
Doesn't it depend on what your goals are? I understand what you are saying, but if you are trying to drop some fat while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible then don't you want to keep your muscle gylcogen from being depleted for extended periods of time and run a caloric defecit for the day as a whole? You'll lose less fat this way, but be in better shape for the long run since you'll be maintaining more muscle. I'm no expert on this, so let me know where my thinking is faulty.

GOAL= FAT LOSS, while trying to maintain muscle. Some muscle loss is acceptable as fat loss is the main goal. But try to limit that the best you can. For maintaining muscle, glutamine will be sufficient after cardio, as it prevents your body from going catabolic. Also drinking whey protein mix with just water prior to cardio would be ok as well. This want hinder lipolysis(fat burning process).
AirWolf-- Its one way of the other, bro-- unless your on aas. Cut or Bulk.Its just that simple.
What i have suggested IMO, through both research and experience, is the most optimal, and that is what im about, not to half-ass. If im going to bulk, its time to freakin eat!!!!!, if im cutting, first thing on empty stomach cardio. But like I said in previous threads, to each their own, if it works for you, keep it up.. But then again ASU did ask for opinions?????

Thanks guys!

6pak, how does this sound?

(on training and cardio days)
Meal1 - protein + fat+ green veggies
Then.. weight train & cardio
after my weight training and cardio = 30 grams dex or sweet tarts + 1.25 scoop whey

(on cardio days)
Cardio on empty stomach
Meal 1- (30 minutes after) Protein + Fat (no green veggies)

ASU said:
Thanks guys!

6pak, how does this sound?

(on training and cardio days)
Meal1 - protein + fat+ green veggies
Then.. weight train & cardio
after my weight training and cardio = 30 grams dex or sweet tarts + 1.25 scoop whey

(on cardio days)
Cardio on empty stomach
Meal 1- (30 minutes after) Protein + Fat (no green veggies)

On your weight training and cardio days IMO if fat loss is your main goal, do cardio before weight training. your pwo seems fine.
Im not the best person to give accurate advice on nutrition following workout and cardio, together. On cardio only days you have the right idea.

Have some whey + oats 1 to 1.5 hour before your cardio. You need some carbs (not as much as if you were going to lift) to prevent muscle loss.
Cardio on an empty stomach will tap on your muscle glycogen stores. That's muscle suicide.

Airwolf, very good advice there mate. However, after a cardio session, especially low-medium intensity cardio, you don't deplete too much glycogen stores. You don't need to resplenish them. Loose the dextrose / maltodextrin shake. Instead, have a solid balanced meal, composed with a lean protein source + complex carbs or a lean protein source + fibrous carbs + EFAs. It all depends on your macros. All that 30 minutes to 45 minutes after your cardio.

Good luck.

6_pak said:
On your weight training and cardio days IMO if fat loss is your main goal, do cardio before weight training. your pwo seems fine.
Im not the best person to give accurate advice on nutrition following workout and cardio, together. On cardio only days you have the right idea.

The spining classe schedules wont match my schedule to be able to do cardio before working out.. and plus if i did cardio before weight training i don't think i have alot of energy to lift heavy

2 times a week i will do cardio on an empty stomach
2 times a week cardio after weights
once a week weights and no cardio

Thanks psykosik

Top Bottom