Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cutting carbs after 2pm for cutting

WildGuy30

Someone told me that one of the best ways to cut was to cut carbs after 2pm. I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this on here. I have been cutting them after 5pm. The following is my typical diet. I try to limit snacks to about 250-300 calories. Meals about 500.
My workout typically follows my 5pm snack. On workout days, I have my 7pm dinner at about 8. (about 45 minutes after my workout). My workouts also include 30 minutes of cardio.

7:30 am 1 slice 12 grain bread with natural peanut butter and a small amount of honey. 1 12oz glass of skim milk and an apple. -OR- 1 bowl unflavoured, unsweetened oatmeal with raspberries and strawberries and 1 12oz glass of milk with whey protein powder.

10 am - 10 almonds and a 1 12 oz smoothie (whey powder, skim milk, vanilla yogurt, strawberries, peanut butter (small amount), flaxseed, and half a banana)

Noon - Subway 6" roast chicken sub on honey oat bread with a bit of barbeque sauce, but no cheese, pickles or olives

2:30 pm - Subway 6" roast chicken sub (same as above)

5:00 pm - 10 almonds and a 1 12 oz smoothie (same smoothie as above)

7pm - either two pieces of fish or on piece of chicken, 12oz glass of skim milk, and a medium-sized salad (a regular soup bowl) consisting of spinich, green and red pepper, bean sprouts, tomato and brocolli with a small amount of fat free dressing. (sometimes I will have a stir fry with the salad ingredients using olive oil)

WildGuy30 said:
Someone told me that one of the best ways to cut was to cut carbs after 2pm. I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this on here. I have been cutting them after 5pm. The following is my typical diet. I try to limit snacks to about 250-300 calories. Meals about 500.
My workout typically follows my 5pm snack. On workout days, I have my 7pm dinner at about 8. (about 45 minutes after my workout). My workouts also include 30 minutes of cardio.

7:30 am 1 slice 12 grain bread with natural peanut butter and a small amount of honey. 1 12oz glass of skim milk and an apple. -OR- 1 bowl unflavoured, unsweetened oatmeal with raspberries and strawberries and 1 12oz glass of milk with whey protein powder.

10 am - 10 almonds and a 1 12 oz smoothie (whey powder, skim milk, vanilla yogurt, strawberries, peanut butter (small amount), flaxseed, and half a banana)

Noon - Subway 6" roast chicken sub on honey oat bread with a bit of barbeque sauce, but no cheese, pickles or olives

2:30 pm - Subway 6" roast chicken sub (same as above)

5:00 pm - 10 almonds and a 1 12 oz smoothie (same smoothie as above)

7pm - either two pieces of fish or on piece of chicken, 12oz glass of skim milk, and a medium-sized salad (a regular soup bowl) consisting of spinich, green and red pepper, bean sprouts, tomato and brocolli with a small amount of fat free dressing. (sometimes I will have a stir fry with the salad ingredients using olive oil)

Bro, thats horrible advice that isnt applicable to alot of people. Why 2? What makes 2 the magic number for fatloss. Doesnt make sense at all. BTW what about the people on different sleep/work schedules? Not to bite any heads off, but you'd be better getting advice from someone who doesnt use numbers as a basis for cutting!!!!
IMO your diet needs some work, but if its working for you, then keep it up. The biggest part that im gonna stress is that you have no PWO shake?? Bro, cutting or bulking you need this. I'm not a big fan of milk, even skim milk. Lactose doesnt benefit me at all, sugars are too high for me. The subway diet may work for some people and i may even have subway, but only in a bulking diet. In a cutting diet, I would NIX all the bread(including toast). Im also a big fan and extreme believer in separating pro/carbs and pro/fat meals. This has helped me greatly over the years and when i give advice or write out a diet for my clients, I always implement this in the diet.

Her work schedule was similar to mine, but I can see how it would vary drastically from one person to the next. I thank you for the critique.
Pardon my ignorance here, but what is a PWO shake?
Also, I read on hear that it is a good idea to cut out fruits also. If I am cutting bread and fruit than am I not cutting out the vast majority of carbs anyway?
And if I am understanding you correctly here, are you saying that I should not eat a lot of carbs with a lot of fat in the same meal and that they should be emphasized separately in different meals?
What about whole wheat pasta? Is that okay? As a rule of thumb, should carbs be cut out for a certain period before bedtime?
Sorry to bombard you with questions here. Thank for for taking the time.

Last edited:
IMO even whole wheat pasta isn't a great choice, esp. while cutting. It is still a highly processed food. Some might disagree but i would say stick to potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice and such. Yes, you should never eat a meal high and fat and high in carbs at the same time. A PWO shake is a post work-out shake and is usually composed of whey and some form of carbs. I would say cut carbs pre bedtime tho. Just keep that to proteins and fat.

WildGuy30 said:
Her work schedule was similar to mine, but I can see how it would vary drastically from one person to the next. I thank you for the critique.
Pardon my ignorance here, but what is a PWO shake?
Also, I read on hear that it is a good idea to cut out fruits also. If I am cutting bread and fruit than am I not cutting out the vast majority of carbs anyway?
And if I am understanding you correctly here, are you saying that I should not eat a lot of carbs with a lot of fat in the same meal and that they should be emphasized separately in different meals?
What about whole wheat pasta? Is that okay? As a rule of thumb, should carbs be cut out for a certain period before bedtime?
Sorry to bombard you with questions here. Thank for for taking the time.

To further add to Sublime's excellent advice-- Fruits are good in bulking and cutting. I think the only time you should cut fruits is if you're a bb on a precontest diet, but you also need to limit them for the early part of your day, such as breakfast. Fruits replenish liver glycogen, which you want. With your pwo, a great number of people, including myself, believe that a dextrose/maltodextrine combo should be mixed with your whey protein. Preferably at a 2:1 ratio of dex/protein. I agree with cutting out all bread for best results including pasta. Carb sources should come from oatmeal, yams, brown rice, fruit(meal 1), and dextrose.

First off, that myth is a joke........I eat all the way up to bed, esp. when I train in the eve......as far as that diet, well, blunty, it sucks....esp. for cutting.......dont think you listed one food I eat when cutting.......

JKurz1 said:
First off, that myth is a joke........I eat all the way up to bed, esp. when I train in the eve......as far as that diet, well, blunty, it sucks....esp. for cutting.......dont think you listed one food I eat when cutting.......

Obviously, you should have carbs in ppwo when it falls before bedtime.

I think we've argued this issue before??? and the final verdict: IF IT WORKS FOR YOU THEN KEEP DOING IT? RIGHT????

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I am going to make some adjustments.
What should I put in the PWO shake? Just water, whey, dextrose and malto dextrin...and maybe some oatmeal for carbs? Doesn't sound too appetizing. :worried:

WildGuy30 said:
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I am going to make some adjustments.
What should I put in the PWO shake? Just water, whey, dextrose and malto dextrin...and maybe some oatmeal for carbs? Doesn't sound too appetizing. :worried:

dextrose and maltodextrine are your only carb sourses for pwo!! no oatmeal or any other complex carb.

I agree with the separation of protein/carbs and protein/fat meals. I go further and have four days of protein/fat and the 4th day of protein/carbs. Don't be fooled and think that this diet allows you to eat whatever. It doesn't. There's a delicate balance of EFA's here and the carbs are a good mix of moderate, low and a few high glycemic carbs. I can email you the details.

This isn't for everyone. Different diets work for different lifestyles. This is a commitment and requires some planning. Plus you'll need to devote about 2-3 weeks of no carbs to get into ketosis before you cycle like this. This means that you'll loose all of your muscle glycogen and look flat (maybe a little muscle as well). It's a sacrifice.

The WORST thing you can do is eat bad ratios of carb/pro/fat.

Cycling pro/fat and 4th day of pro/carbs has worked for me and I get no fat gain, but I do get about a good lb or so of lean muscle gain about every week and 1/2. You WON'T look like the Incredible Hulk with this diet (not without chemical help) but you'll get some honest muscle gain and keep the fat at bay and not have to worry about how many fat gms and carbs and you ate that day (or as much as you would traditionally anyway).

Help at all? Anybody out there totally disagree? I know there's a large number of lifters out there who think no carb days are bad.

Top Bottom