Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Critique my cutting diet / training

OUfan

It has been 6 years since I was in good shape, and I am more determined than ever to get after it again. Even then I would have been in much better shape if I had known anything about diet, but I did consistently lift and do cardio 5 days/week for 5 years. Since then I have done sporadic cutting/training, but now i am ready to commit again. I have done my homework, and now I just need advice. Here are my stats:

Age - 26
Height - 6'1
Weight - 250lbs
BF% - Scales say 35% :shocked:

Here is my diet i have created:

7:30am

Oats - 1c
Egg whites - 1c (liquid)

10:30am

100% whole wheat bread - 1 slice (sugar free, etc)
Pouch of tuna

12:30

Chicken Breast - 6oz
Brown Rice - 1c
Green Vegetable - 1c

2:30

Protein Shake
Almonds (small handfull, or 1 serving)

4:30

Protein Shake
ANPB - 2 TBSP

PWO Nutrition

Protein Shake - 2 servings
Dextrose - 5 TBSP

8:30

Chicken Brest - 6oz
Vegetable - 1c
ANPB - 2 TBSP

Total Calories - 2476
Fat - 18%
Carbs - 26%
Protein - 45%

I will be doing the Starr 5x5, 20 minutes of HIIT 6 days/week in the morning, and alternate 20 minutes HIIT heavy bag / 45 minutes moderate jogging 3 days/week in the evening (non-lifting days).

I plan on eating extra lean ground beef or salmon, and a sweet potato once or twice a week in place of my last meal of the day.

Any tweaking or suggestions on this diet or training plan would be great.

thats way too much cardio, imo. HIIT 3x/week is PLENTY for a cut diet on a guy your size - if you still plan to do all that cardio for heart health, you are going to need to increase cals quite a bit..

The diet is quite good, but if your bf is 35%, you are going to have to stay on the diet for 20+ weeks.

What is important is that for a diet to continue this long, you must stick to it.

I wonder whether chaning the ratios slightly - i.e., your carbs are quite low for such a enduring diet with significant exercise - would better enable you to stick to. This is entirely up to you.

Also, if you could eat instead of use a shake for the 2:30 meal (meals require more calories to digest), and include a calcium and omega 3 supplement (which your diet appears to lack) for greater fat oxidisation.

I think you need more whole food. You only get 2 cups of veg each day. You should up that significantly. Try adding a small salad with your snacks and add a second veg with your main meals. Stay away from potatoes, root veg and corn. Leafy green is best. This will help you stick to it because it will fill you up. You should add some Omega 3, either fish oil or some form of flax. I just add flax meal to my oatmeal. I don't understand the ANPB. I assume this is all natural peanut butter and is realted to some fad diet. There are better sources of fat than that. Olive oil on your salads and flax in your oatmeal, tuna and fish oil, almonds are all better sources. Peanuts really aren't that good. For nuts try walnuts, almonds and cashews. If you like the peanut taste in your shake, go ahead but 4 Tbs per day is not needed.

You are probably looking to lose about 50 lbs. Take about 6 months to get there and you will keep it off. If you try to do it faster, you'll start yo-yoing and ballon up in the long run. Stay away from anything that sounds like a bodybuilder cutting program.

StuWard said:
I think you need more whole food. You only get 2 cups of veg each day. You should up that significantly. Try adding a small salad with your snacks and add a second veg with your main meals. Stay away from potatoes, root veg and corn. Leafy green is best. This will help you stick to it because it will fill you up. You should add some Omega 3, either fish oil or some form of flax. I just add flax meal to my oatmeal. I don't understand the ANPB. I assume this is all natural peanut butter and is realted to some fad diet. There are better sources of fat than that. Olive oil on your salads and flax in your oatmeal, tuna and fish oil, almonds are all better sources. Peanuts really aren't that good. For nuts try walnuts, almonds and cashews. If you like the peanut taste in your shake, go ahead but 4 Tbs per day is not needed.

You are probably looking to lose about 50 lbs. Take about 6 months to get there and you will keep it off. If you try to do it faster, you'll start yo-yoing and ballon up in the long run. Stay away from anything that sounds like a bodybuilder cutting program.

Peanut Butter is an excellent fat source. Why do you say peanuts aren't that good and how did you arrive at this conclusion?

In the long run, yes. Speaking from experience when your metabolism has hit rock bottom from being sedentary, he's not going to be able to perform the amount of cardio he's talking about. The max amount he can do the better because he'll gain endurance as he continues to push himself.

First off I wouldn't do HIIT if your just starting to lose weight. Start with low intensity for 15 minutes and ramp up until you can maintain say 170 - 180 beats a minute for say atleast 10 minutes. Try for 15 or 20 infact. The more your body adjusts to doing cardio , the more cardio you'll be able to perform and the higher your resting metabolism will rise

Also switch off between HIIT and low intensity/medium intensity. I think the best cardio is low intensity for 15 minutes and then Interval style training once the fat burning engine turns on. I generally do low intensity for 15 minutes and then balls to the wall 185-195 (precour machine with max incline and max resistance on the pedals) beats a minute until I tap out and then back to lower intensity until the heart rate drops back to normal (this will decrease as you get into better shape)... repeat for 60-90 minutes

poysyn said:
thats way too much cardio, imo. HIIT 3x/week is PLENTY for a cut diet on a guy your size - if you still plan to do all that cardio for heart health, you are going to need to increase cals quite a bit..

Last edited:
poysyn said:
Peanut Butter is an excellent fat source. Why do you say peanuts aren't that good and how did you arrive at this conclusion?

I'm just saying that Almonds, walnuts and cashews are better.

There's just too much relying on peanut butter. 1 ounce of nuts a day is enough to provide support to your heart. Mix up the nuts. Get some variety. Just because some is good, doesn't make a lot any better.

It may not be a factor but some people are alergic to peanuts while other nuts are OK.

Here is a couple of sites that have info on nuts.
http://www.nutnutrition.com/default.asp
http://www.whfoods.org/foodstoc.php
http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/...bout_health_try_the_top_6_healthiest_nuts.htm

Top Bottom