Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Could someone lay out a diet for me?

PH911

Boy, I sure could use some diet advice.

I know it's pretty easy to lose some weight if you quite over weight, because I've done that, but it's time to move on.

I want to make sure that I'm getting the most out of my workouts.

Here is some of my info:

I'm 5'6", male, 30 years old.

Three years ago I was over 210 pounds. I lost 35 pounds with diet only and was content to sit at 175lb for about 2 years.

6 months ago I decided that diet was not enough, so I started excercising. Since January I've lost an additional 25 pounds and am sitting at just a shade over 150lbs.

I'm quite happy with that, and have never felt better about myself. But now I want to get toned. I don't have anything against bodybuilding, or getting big, but I'd really just like to just be lean and toned. I don't care how much I weigh - just want to look good with my shirt off.

I lift weights 3x a week - Monday, Wednesday Friday for approx 1/2 hour and also do cardio on those days. The rest of the week I do a full hour of cardio, plus abs.

It's tough to sift through the various opinions on what to eat. This is what I typically eat and where I need some advice:

Glass of juice before I work out.
Work out from 6am to just after 7am everyday
then I eat.

1 multigrain bagel with either a bit of peanut butter or light jam, orange juice, coffee

mid morning - sometimes nothing, sometimes a banana or fruit. Lots of water all morning.

Lunch, usually another multigrain bagel, with lean turkey, mustard, coffee, water. 2x a week, usually a salad with chicken, or fish w/ rice.

mid afternoon - usually nothing - just water.

after work - usually quite hungry I'll eat some healthy choice chicken noodle soup 500ml can, maybe some cereal w/ 1% milk, or another bagel, plus I usually end up snacking on something like a few nuts or pretzels.

Bottom line - I'd be prepared to scrap the whole thing, if I could get some direction. I'm open to shakes, supplements, whatever.

It's very hard once you've seen some great results to convince yourself that you actually might have to eat more to continue with progress. I've been reading that you need to eat 5 - 6x per day, shakes, supplements.

It all frightens me a bit. I don't want to get fat again, but don't want to waste my valueable workout time either.

Help - anybody. I'm open to all advice and criticism about diet and routine - whatever.

Thanks.

Too high in carbs, too low in protein. Your body is not going to want to tap into it's fat stores when your cells are full of glycogen. (stored carbohydrate)

As long as your insulin levels remain high from the frequent carb feedings, your body is not going to release fat burning hormones. Thus you need to back off the carbs, increase the protein and make sure you take in enough calories to keep your metabolism going.

Ideally, the bulk of your carbohydrates should be consumed earlier in the day, then tapering off as the day progresses. Replace half of your starchy carbs with fiberous carbs for better metabolism, and better chance they will be burned for energy as opposed to being stored as bodyfat if glycogen stores are full.

Remember this important fact: Your body has the capability to store between 200-500gms carbodydrate at a time - in your cells, and in your liver. After that, guess where further carbohydrate gets stored? Yup, you guessed it - your ass, thighs, gut, etc, in the form of bodyfat.

If you want to get the best fatloss bang from your workouts, keep rest periods between sets at a minimum. Base your exercises around basic exercises, (squats, rows, presses, curls, dips, etc). With every workout, you should be attempting more repititions than the previous workout; eventually, more weight.

Race the clock and try to get the most benefit from your workout with the least amount of time. After 45 seconds has passed between sets you should be getting ready to commence your next set.

The best time for cardio if you choose to use it, is first thing in the morning on a empty stomach, or immediately following your weight training session. Your weight training session should of depleted the majority of your glycogen stores, thus you should be able to tap into your fat stores rather quickly.

Get lots of water and lots of rest.

Last edited:
I appreciate the tips. I thought the carbs might be a bit too high. I will make modifications.

Thanks.

Top Bottom