Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Corn Starch: GI rating?

I would assume it would have a high rating because it would prob be digested quickly. its got lots of carbs. I like that site though good info

muscelove said:
I would assume it would have a high rating because it would prob be digested quickly. its got lots of carbs. I like that site though good info

I am guessing that it won't be digested slowly as it has all complex carbs and no sugar carbs. However, I just would like to have a more professional opinion.

dexterium said:
I am guessing that it won't be digested slowly as it has all complex carbs and no sugar carbs. However, I just would like to have a more professional opinion.

It would depend on the following:

If it is 'uncooked' cornstarch then it would have a low glycemic index rating and would be absorbed very slowly in the gastrointestinal tract and provide a continuous source of glucose over longer periods. Specialty foods which have this are ideal for diabetics to control hypoglycemic reactions durning the night.

If the cornstarch is processed then the glycemic index rating rises significantly. The glucose in the cornstarch is transformed into fructose. When this happens it is usually known as Corn Syrup or HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup).

Your steel-cut oats (again with the oats, lol) has a GI Rating of 52 (60grams).

KP -- Fitness Basics

Just an additional NOTE on the Glycemic Index of certain foods since you have been asking a lot of questions on GI .. which is great btw.

The Glycemic Index rating is provided with the assumption that the individual food you are consuming is the only carbohydrate you are consuming. As soon as you add additional proteins and fats, as you would in a normal diet, the glycemic index rating will change due to how the components of these foods interact. An example would be to eat a single sugar cube and note the results. Then the following day drink a glass of milk and eat a sugar cube and note the results.

Just trying to say that you shouldn't get too hung-up on numbers. It is good to have a reference point so you can put together a good diet but just be aware that the numbers do change.

I'll let you get back to eating your steel-cut oats now. :D

KP -- Fitness Basics

Once prepared and ready to eat it has a pretty high GI

Top Bottom