Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

coffee

Manu

i'm reading John Berardi article about coffee and caffeine and didn't know the effects it has in insulin sensitivity...

Is it still ok to drink a cup of coffee before morning cardio?
What do you think about this?

There is something interesting about decaf:
"While the quinide content of coffee isn't strong enough to counter the effects of the caffeine, the quinides in decaf coffee may actually increase glucose and insulin tolerance. This hypothesis still needs to be tested and proper doses have yet to be discussed; however, keep your eyes out for this research in the near future"

full article at t-mag:
http://www.t-mag.com/articles/214app.html

coffee really helps me every time I do cardio whether in the morning on an empty stomach or later in the evening

Anthrax, I'm a coffeholic...I didn't take the time to read that whole damn post...I know your a smart guy- tell me I can still drink my coffee.

NO MORE COFFEE FOR YOU!!

Apparentely, it decreases insulin sensitivity and puts you in the same state as a Type II diabetic.. for at least 3 hours, but they estimate more like 5 (caffeine's half-life).

Sucks, doesn't it? I can't imagine ditching my 200mg of caffeine pre-workout.

Yes it sucks...:(
Still coffee is beneficial for some things...
i think it is beneficial for sparing lean body mass when you do cardio on empty stomach for example. I think coffee increases ketones in blood (not sure).
I would like to know benefits vs. this insulin issue...

On a calorie restricted diet, I believe that caffeine is very beneficial. It promotes fatty acid mobilization and has been shown to improve both endurance and strength.

Just don't carb up on it.

yeah it really sucks cause I usually wake up to 6 cups of it...then have about 6 more later in the day. On top of ECA before training.

Unfortunately, caffeine decrease insulin sensitivity , as proved in the above article :mad:

But it is temporary (don't know for how long ?)
and if you drink your coffee far away from any high GI meals it should be OK

And caffeine helps so much
it is a pain killer
helps when doing cardio
help burn fatty acids

so IMHO it is worth drinking a few cups of coffee

Caffeine Disturbs Blood Sugar Hormone

3 Cups of Coffee Could Be Enough to Cause Problems
By Michael Smith , MD

Feb. 6, 2002 -- Caffeine is one of the most widely used "drugs" in the world. And now researchers have found that caffeine affects how well insulin -- the hormone that regulates blood sugar -- works in the body.

Caffeine is able to enter the brain and directly increase blood pressure and stimulate the release of stress hormones. These hormones are known to affect insulin and blood sugar in the body. So the researchers investigated whether caffeine has any harmful effects on blood sugar metabolism.

Lead researcher Gerben B. Keijzers, MD, and colleagues gave either caffeine or a placebo -- through a vein in the arm -- to 12 healthy volunteers. They then measured blood levels of insulin and stress hormones.

The caffeine was given at a dose of 3 mg per kilogram. For a 120 pound woman, that's equal to 160 mg of caffeine. For a 170 pound man, that's 230 mg.

The researchers then calculated insulin sensitivity. This is a measure of how well the body is using insulin. When insulin sensitivity goes down, this indicates that your body is less able to take blood sugar into the cells to be used for energy.

Caffeine decreased insulin sensitivity by 15%, a significant decline compared to placebo. Plus, stress hormone levels in the blood increased with caffeine. Blood pressure increased to a small degree as well.

Though it is true that caffeine decreases insulin sensitivity, Elzi Volk said that due to the increased lypolisis which occurs the impact on body composition from the insulin sensitivity is not much of an issue.

Also, just an observation but did anyone notice how this was conveniently printed in T-mag the week after they discontinued their caffeine containing thermogenic? Whew, I bet they are glad they dodged that bullet {read in a VERY SARCASTIC tone}

Top Bottom