Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

CKD Stalled Leptin levels too low?

MiniColemans

well I"m going into my 12th week of CkD..i've been doing it religiously and have lost over 20lbs :)

Anyway, for the first time I did'nt lose any significant inches or measurements on the calipers. What i've been reading lately about leptin (and t3) is that is slows down fat progress because (1) my body fat is sig. lower and (2) i've been dieting on low carb for a long time.

any thoughts on how to jumpstart my Ckd?

i'm thinking tkd or a couple weeks off?
anyone?

MiniColemans said:
well I"m going into my 12th week of CkD..i've been doing it religiously and have lost over 20lbs :)

Anyway, for the first time I did'nt lose any significant inches or measurements on the calipers. What i've been reading lately about leptin (and t3) is that is slows down fat progress because (1) my body fat is sig. lower and (2) i've been dieting on low carb for a long time.

any thoughts on how to jumpstart my Ckd?

i'm thinking tkd or a couple weeks off?
anyone?

i would drop the CKD and adobt a TKD style diet a few modifications and youll be lovin it

Sometimes diets just stall for no apparent reason and if you continue as normal you may go back to losing again the following week. In my first 14 week trek to leanness I had 2 stalls where I noticed no weight loss or physical change. I kept going and the following week the changes continued. Sometimes it's as simple as extra water retention. On those weeks that I stalled not only did it continue the following week, but 2 weeks worth of changes was noticed as well. Like I continued to lose fat but for one reason or another it didn't register in any known measurment.

Why not simply give it another week to see what happens. If you're still stalled then I'd definately do an extended refeed to boost leptin and get your metabolism moving again. Or you can simply take a week off at maintenance calories to give you a nice extended break.

Long diets where you intend on losing a significant amount of bodyweight should probably be broken up into smaller phases. If you think it may take 20 week to get to where you want then don't diet for 20 weeks. Diet for 12 or so, then take a week off and continue for the last 8. The week off will refresh you and your body. I think the worst thing to do in this type of situation is do something drastic like drop calories or increase cardio to push past the plataeu. I'd always recommend giving it a week and if you're still stalled then take action.

I'm beggining to wonder if too much ALA is good for refeed, for instance I've been taking 3grams a day and around 350g of carbs per day and i"m still in ketosis!! I reduced the ALA dosage to give my liver a chance to replenish.

I'm wondering, since leptin can increase over as little as 2 days, how long it will remain elevated after a refeed?

How long it remains elevated depends on how drastic your diet following the refeed is, not to mention how far past your bodyfat setpoint you are. The deeper into a negative calorie balance you are the quicker leptin levels will drop. The farther below your bodies setpoint you are the quicker it will drop. Combine the two and you can see why regular refeeds are very important if you want to maintain this leanness. Bodybuilders don't care about leptin, they are interested in getting into their contest shape for one day. After that they generally baloon up during the next week or two. For most of us we don't want this, we want to get lean and stay lean so we can't follow an extremely hardcore diet and simply stop and maintain. We have to east into the state of leanness so that our bodies are more willing to accept this new weight and bodyfat.

Also remember that a small two day refeed will not restore leptin levels to their original state, it will only raise them up to a lesser degree. If a refeed was able to return them to their original levels everytime then dieting and keeping in shape would be a piece of cake. We wouldn't be starving and craving foods like we are on diets since our body would be acting like it did when we were fatter.

they wont be restored to the original state: meaning before dieting or working out. I'm trying to find the study that showed a 300 percent increase in leptin levels with a ultra high calorie and carb diet.....

I'm not sure of the exact study but 300% increase can still mean less than baseline levels. Crash dieting likely drops leptin levels more than 300% below baseline, so 300% upwards isn't that exceptional. If leptin was so easy to manipulate and control then half of the US population wouldn't be obese. Refeeds help bring leptin levels up but in no way do they bring them higher than before you started dieting. I think the best you could hope for is that your leptin levels return to their previous "normal" after you've dieted and reached your bodyfat goal.

You might be able to bring up leptin levels simpy by getting fat but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Vageta said:
If leptin was so easy to manipulate and control then half of the US population wouldn't be obese.

I agree, however, there's also the possibility of leptin resistance in a lot of obesity cases; high circulating levels of leptin, but a lack of receptors, or just plain old insensitivity to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom