Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

carbs before training

janesward

do you think carbs are crucial before lifting? I work out first thing in the morning, about 6 am, and at that there is no way I feel hungry at that time so I just have like a yogurt and some fruit, I was wondering if carbs absence before lifting can affect my mass growth, thank you.

do you think carbs are crucial before lifting? I work out first thing in the morning, about 6 am, and at that there is no way I feel hungry at that time so I just have like a yogurt and some fruit, I was wondering if carbs absence before lifting can affect my mass growth, thank you.

some research suggests "fasting training" is best done consuming BCAA's, especially Leucine, to avoid losing muscle. then refeed post training.
other research suggests carbs have a "muscle sparing" effect; but I follow the save carbs for the post workout insulin spike. (this has been called out as bro-science here by several knowledgeable contributors eventhough I think using slin post-workout is in effect beyond reproach and I think the science can easily be extrapolated). I eat oatmeal an hour b4. and even if hungry, only BCAA's during, then whey and dextrose post. I am an extreme hard gainer and can lose lbs of muscle from 1 fast, and this has given me 3bs in a few weeks. lookup leucine fasting workouts and read the articles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is that hard for you to have breakfast in the morning before working out, at least take some BCAA in order to prevent muscle loss. Also, why not have at least a protein shake before that? I guess it should not be that hard to have a protein shake in the morning on your way to the gym.

athletes will carb cycle.. this is necessary so you can tap into carbs for energy.

i used to be a huge advocate of carbs pre workout!! however my attitude has changed because my goals have changed. now i can train fasted and i am confident enough to know that i can use my mind to get through a workout

but if your goals are strength, performance, and building muscle you really should be getting in ample carbs

You actually are eating carbs before lifting. You are eating yogurt and fruit which are both high in simple sugars.

I do the same thing. If I need to train really early in the morning, I will have something really small like a can of tuna and an apple before my workout.

Remember that when you eat carbohydrates, they are stored in your muscles as glycogen. The food you ate the day before your workout is what is fuelling your workout that day. You can want to eat something small before your workout to have stable blood sugar levels.

Sounds like you are eating carbs already with the yogurt and fruit. What I like to eat is oatmeal and eggs or egg whites. Gives me the right fuel to train. If you are not hungry at all then just have a shake or take a BCAA like GEAR from n2bm. The BCAA will keep you from losing muscle while training fasted.

Top Bottom