Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A calorie is a calorie! plz read...

110%

ok we all know a calorie is a calorie, and due to calories in vs. calories out if you have a deficit in calories you are going to lose weight, that doesnt matter if you are eating all your calories from table sugar or if you have a good diet from 50/30/20 protein/carb/fat breakdown made up of teh proper foods to fulfill these requirements. well with this in mind i have a few questions:

1) ok i know calorie in vs calorie out rules, but why? if you require 2500 calories for maintenance, and you are eating 500 below to lose weight, if you are eating 2000 calories in sugar wouldnt this lead to a big insulin spike thus when you are inactive all the glucose would be sent to adipose tissue? so how do u lose weight? is it when your body requires energy it goes to breaking down fat tissue first and thus the fat gain from earlier meals is ultimately broken down and used as energy? otherwise i do not get it.

2) if calories in vs calories basically outlines if you are going to gain, maintain, or lose wieght, then what is your opinion on eating one "cheat meal" we would call it each day if you are maintaining or bulking, i mean you are still getting in 5 meals a day of proper food to lead to an anti catabolic state or anabolic to lead to muscle growth, thus do u think it is ok to have one meal a day that would be considered a cheat meal to us if u r maintaining or bulking IF THE CALORIES REMAIN THE SAME WITH THE DIET YOU SET UP. with this what about cutting down, does one meal really play that much of a significance?

3) if your calories and macronutrient breakdown are in check, does it really absolutely matter that you eat proper food. does insulin play that great of a role? if you are eating lest say 150 grams protein, 300 grams carbs, and 60 grams of fat from lean protein choices, low gi carbs except postworkout, and healthy fats but caloreis remain the same to the same guidelines with protein choices, high gi carbs and good tasting fats but calories remain teh same, what benefits do we get out of teh proper eating. better muscle growth? i understand the prolonged insulin release, less of an insulin spiike all that, but with calories in vs out does it really make taht much of a difference?

110% said:
1) ok i know calorie in vs calorie out rules, but why? if you require 2500 calories for maintenance, and you are eating 500 below to lose weight, if you are eating 2000 calories in sugar wouldnt this lead to a big insulin spike thus when you are inactive all the glucose would be sent to adipose tissue? so how do u lose weight? is it when your body requires energy it goes to breaking down fat tissue first and thus the fat gain from earlier meals is ultimately broken down and used as energy? otherwise i do not get it.
You would lose weight, but it would be mostly muscle if you eat pure sugar for an extended period. If you don't eat protein, you will have a large negative nitrogen balance.

On a high carbohydrate diet, if you eat enough protein and have a caloric deficit you will lose fat. Glucose transport enzymes on muscle cells are elevated on a hypocaloric diet. Eventually, your liver runs low on glycogen because of the caloric deficit and blood sugar is not elevated too much for fat metabolism.

Cardio is especially important on a high carb diet, IMHO.

110% said:
2) if calories in vs calories basically outlines if you are going to gain, maintain, or lose wieght, then what is your opinion on eating one "cheat meal" we would call it each day if you are maintaining or bulking, i mean you are still getting in 5 meals a day of proper food to lead to an anti catabolic state or anabolic to lead to muscle growth, thus do u think it is ok to have one meal a day that would be considered a cheat meal to us if u r maintaining or bulking IF THE CALORIES REMAIN THE SAME WITH THE DIET YOU SET UP. with this what about cutting down, does one meal really play that much of a significance?
No, one meal does not make much of a difference if you exercise and eat right otherwise. This is my experience, anyway.

110% said:
3) if your calories and macronutrient breakdown are in check, does it really absolutely matter that you eat proper food. does insulin play that great of a role? if you are eating lest say 150 grams protein, 300 grams carbs, and 60 grams of fat from lean protein choices, low gi carbs except postworkout, and healthy fats but caloreis remain the same to the same guidelines with protein choices, high gi carbs and good tasting fats but calories remain teh same, what benefits do we get out of teh proper eating. better muscle growth? i understand the prolonged insulin release, less of an insulin spiike all that, but with calories in vs out does it really make taht much of a difference?
I think it makes a big difference. Look at "nutrient partitioning" agents like ALA. It helps to transport glucose to muscle cells instead of the liver. Low GI carbs prevent glucose from getting to the liver. Imagine a sink with a small drain. If you suddently pour a bucket of water into the sink, some might spill over the edge. However, if you pour it slowly it won't spill over the edge. There is a limit to how fast glucose can be transported into muscle cells. High GI food raises blood sugar so much that the liver absorbs more than is necessary. Your muscles will not absorb as much nutrients, thus affecting your body composition if this diet is continued. If liver glycogen happens to be nearly full, you will store fat, as well.

Additionally, eating high GI or high saturated fats can cause type two diabetes or at least some insulin resistance. Be good to your body and you will be leaner in the years to come.

The "Old" calories in calories out only holds true if meals are glycemically correct. fat storage can occur at any time of the day. there is a lot more to fat storage than just the GI/GR of carbs.

FitnessFrk said:
The "Old" calories in calories out only holds true if meals are glycemically correct. fat storage can occur at any time of the day. there is a lot more to fat storage than just the GI/GR of carbs.
Not trying to start a debate, but would you agree with the few points that I made about high GI and saturated fats?

Would you agree with the idea that high carb diets can lead to some fat-loss?

Actually, now that I think if it, it seems possible to actually gain fat while losing muscle and overall bodyweight if something like pure sugar is eaten. A successful high-carb diet needs to be low GI to really be successful.

High GI carbs cause an insulin spike, which inhibits lipolysis, but the spike is quickly over and insulin levels plummet (assuming you are not insulin resistent), and catecholamines increase, which increases lipolysis.

ok im not exactly sure what lipolysis means, but isnt it the decompostition of fat for energy? if so you are saying high gi carbs will only inhibit this for a short while, then it will increase agian? wouldnt this be good? wouldnt then low gi carbs inhibit lipolysis for a longer time since they are gradually absorbed intot he blood stream thus insulin is sustained longer in the blood stream?? or does it take a big insuline spike to inhibit lipolysis?

Assuming fat-loss is impossible on a high carb diet due to supposedly indefinitely sustained insulin, the body will NEVER release glucagon. This means no gluconeogenesis or fat mobilization/oxidation. However, this is impossible if blood glucose does not supply maintenance calories --- a contradiction. Think about this.

Low-GI carbs will be absorbed by muscle cells so quickly on a hypocaloric diet that insulin levels will consistently be quite low. When in a hypocaloric state with adequate protein, your body will run short of blood glucose at some point. Basically, glucagon is guaranteed to be released at some point, and when it does some fat will be oxidized and gluconeogenesis will occur. Some amino acids will be lost and some fatty acids will be metabolized.

I don't know exactly when this occurs, but it probably doesn't matter that much. Think top-down, not bottom-up.

Top Bottom