Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Basmati rice instead of brown rice?

|D_J^B_J|

What are your thoughts on eating basmati rice as a carb source 1 - 2 times a day?

I have been eating brown rice for several months now, and I am just about sick of the stuff. Basmati rice tastes 10 x better but has a slightly higher GI rating of 51, meaning it is more likely to spike insulin levels and promote fat gain.

Oh, and for the record, I am still bulking at the moment, whilst trying to gain a minimal amount of body fat.

|D_J^B_J| said:
What are your thoughts on eating basmati rice as a carb source 1 - 2 times a day?

I have been eating brown rice for several months now, and I am just about sick of the stuff. Basmati rice tastes 10 x better but has a slightly higher GI rating of 51, meaning it is more likely to spike insulin levels and promote fat gain.
Oh, and for the record, I am still bulking at the moment, whilst trying to gain a minimal amount of body fat.

If you want to gain the most muscle with minimal fat gain possible then you'd have to stick to brown rice. But, seeing that you are sick of it and are bulking (gaining some fat anyways), i would think that it's ok maybe 4-5x/week to have a "cheat" meal using basmati rice. Just use it moderately while bulking; 7x a week is a bit much and especially too much if you do it 2x/day some days. When you start cutting, get rid of the stuff ASAP, lol.

that's my advice for you bro. :beer:

you might want to spice up the brown rice if the taste is killing you. I believe jenscat? was the one saying you can cook it with some hot sauce and you forget the crap flavor of it. i personally hate hot sauce (wimp) so im sure you could spice it up with other stuff to tolerate it better. Consider both options :beer:

|D_J^B_J| said:

I recently replaced the brown rice with Whole Grain Bulgar Wheat from Trader Joe's. It has 140 cal per 1/4 dry and yields about 2/3 cup cooked.Not sure about GI level. The kernel is smaller than rice which makes it easier to get down when you eat it everyday :RADAR . Plus it will take on the flavor of anything , so when I boil it in water , I add chicken bouillion to the water. Makes it yummy :)

Trader Joe's also carries Basmati Brown rice ---- and they also carry Brown Aromatic rice - which to me tastes better than regular brown rice.

DJ, remember the mantra: anything in excess is bad (even good stuff).

You certainly know how to clean bulk and know your body response.

Take the guessing and start by replacing one rice portion with basmati... continue increasing change until you notice not-wanted-side-effects.

Then you can cycle back to brown rice. With the way our bodies work, chances are good you could get away with something like 1 week basmati, 1 week brown.

basmati is simply shelled, so you don't get the fiber benefit and whatever vitamins are there. If the GI is not that high, what's the issue?

Thanks for the replies. I have hit you all up with some karma.

I'll gradually introduce basmati rice into my diet (once a day) and see if I notice any difference in the amount of BF I gain.

If your total cal are good along with the rest of your day I don't think you'll notice any difference for a serving basmati vs brown rice

Top Bottom