Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Artificial Sweetners and Ketosis?

Big_Nims

Why is it when ever I drink a soda with anytype of artificial sweetner, it knocks me out of ketosis? I know because after I eat, I use a keto strip and it shows that I'm out of ketosis, what can I do to alter this? I cant drink just water.

Big_Nims said:
I can't drink just water.

Why not? That's what it takes for some people to stay in ketosis...

How badly do you want to reach your goals?

Another thing - about ketostix - they aren't necessarily the most reliable way of determining whether or not you are in a ketogenic state...

Remember that ketones begin their circulation through the bloodstream. Any ketones that show up in the urine are simply spillover from ketones unused from the bloodstream. Some people use up all the ketones they produce for fuel leaving none to spill over into urine. They are still in ketosis, there just wasn’t enough left over to show up on the stick they just peed on.

Last edited:
Big_Nims said:
Why is it when ever I drink a soda with anytype of artificial sweetner, it knocks me out of ketosis? I know because after I eat, I use a keto strip and it shows that I'm out of ketosis, what can I do to alter this? I cant drink just water.

Yeah, just drink water...that's pretty simple. If you can't handle not drinking diet soda, then ketosis is not for you.

Mr.X

Mr. X.................

I just did a search and found this from one of your earlier posts, could this be my problem? or am I just doomed to drink water only:(

Well, here is the problem, and original Dr. Atkins pointed out that Diet Coke was going to "kick" you out of Ketosis, yet he provided no scientific data to back up his statement.

Over the years, (after extensive chats with Lyle McD) I have come to the conclusion (science at hand) that diet coke gives you a FALSE negative reading on the Ketostix and doesn't kick you out of Ketosis. Now, how does this relate you might ask?...
Well, the problem you are facing is that the Caffeine is the culprit that's giving you a false reading not the other products. If you have been doing everything to the DOT, then DO NOT worry about the occasional negative readings.

A good way to test this theory is to stop taking ECA for 2 days and test your ketonic levels 6 times a day, and to see how fast ketone readings come back. Again, as I've said in the past, a KETONE meter is highly recommended, the $100 is well worth it.

Mr.X

He was talking about caffiene kicking you out of ketosis, not the citric acid that is in those diet soda's. They will kick you out, and are not worth risking all that time it took to get into ketosis just to have to do it again.

Re: Mr. X.................

I just did a search and found this from one of your earlier posts, could this be my problem? or am I just doomed to drink water only:(
yes you are probably

Well, here is the problem, and original Dr. Atkins pointed out that Diet Coke was going to "kick" you out of Ketosis, yet he provided no scientific data to back up his statement.
yes, but his theory proves somewhat true

Over the years, (after extensive chats with Lyle McD) I have come to the conclusion (science at hand) that diet coke gives you a FALSE negative reading on the Ketostix and doesn't kick you out of Ketosis. Now, how does this relate you might ask?...
Well, the problem you are facing is that the Caffeine is the culprit that's giving you a false reading not the other products. If you have been doing everything to the DOT, then DO NOT worry about the occasional negative readings.
Caffeine is not the only thing giving you a false positive, the carbonation in the drink is one of the biggest factors

you have to understand the facts about diet soda...the preservatives and citric acid w/ the artificialy sweeteners will most likely kick you out of ketosis if you are prone to it

A good way to test this theory is to stop taking ECA for 2 days and test your ketonic levels 6 times a day, and to see how fast ketone readings come back. Again, as I've said in the past, a KETONE meter is highly recommended, the $100 is well worth it.

Mr.X
this looks like my post from a while back....did you just copy and past w/o giving me the quotations

Mr.X

OHHHHH Mr X is gonna sue you for copyright infringement!!!:D

Seems there's something wrong with my search feature. No matter how I change the specifics around, it always yields no results.

So.... can someone please point me to the post about artificial sweeteners knocking some people out of ketosis?

Or alternatively, could Mr X please explain it?

DanielBishop said:
Seems there's something wrong with my search feature. No matter how I change the specifics around, it always yields no results.

So.... can someone please point me to the post about artificial sweeteners knocking some people out of ketosis?

Or alternatively, could Mr X please explain it?

Artificial sweeteners have come under scrutiny over the last few years, especially in regards to Ketosis. First thing you should know is that citric acid and aspartame is usually not allowed for epileptic children that are using the Ketonic diet (SKD) to combat the side-effects of the disease. That should be a glance and see factor for you.

Another thing that I've noticed is that citric acid specifically prevents some individuals from entering ketosis, while in ketosis the citric acid does not have much of an effect.

My guess, based on some literature, would be that the possibility of citric acid and maybe aspartame (or artificial sweeteners) affecting liver metabolism, and, in turn, negtively affecting the Krebs cycle.

Mr.X

Top Bottom