Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Any women tried high fat/ high protein diets?

Serenity Head

I have a client that is extremely insulin sensitive. Before working with me during work day she would get dizzy shaky and get head aches. This isn't good considering she is a pharmisist and she needs complete motor and mental control.

So I personally use this diet for every competition because it preserves my muscle mass, although my pumps disappear. I figured what the hell, if she is willing lets do it.(I do plan on writing a book one day when I am a M.D. that focuses on women and fitness)

In three months, with weights and NO cardio she was down below her late middle school/early high school weight and all neg. side effects at work were gone. She dropped from an 8/9 to a 5. B.F. ended up at 22%(not bad for the first shot).

This was about Feb. last year. Now I see she has been gaining some over the last 3 months but I've kept my mouth shut...I wanted to see what would happen, plus I wanted her to gain some more strength. Well guess what happened?

Now she is shaky, dizzy and gets head aches at work. So we are going back on and I want her to break 18% bf.
The coolest part is that everyone always thought that I was a nut for using this diet, but when you go through(if you are into that stuff) all the biochemistry it makes a lot of sense. Now Duke released the studies supporting this type of diet regeime. I love being a radical, don't you?:D

yeah, I gave the good ole' "protein diet" a shot. I saw results relatively quickly...too bad I had NO energy, got dizzy and couldn't concentrate! No thanks...I'll keep the carbs and keep the energy too.

Nonerz said:
yeah, I gave the good ole' "protein diet" a shot. I saw results relatively quickly...too bad I had NO energy, got dizzy and couldn't concentrate! No thanks...I'll keep the carbs and keep the energy too.
Did you keep your fat high enough?
That is the key to successs....otherwise you are basically pissing your muscle away!

Serenity Head said:

Did you keep your fat high enough?
That is the key to successs....otherwise you are basically pissing your muscle away!

How important is that when you have no energy? For me, who I consider to be very active, no carbs means no energy!

Can you elaborate??

since your body shifts from burning carbs (glycogen) to ketones you keep the fat high to offset the lack of carbs. basically you replace what you burned with carbs with what you will burn with fats. since protein is used to produce a minimal amount of glycogen (through gluconeogenesis), the main emphasis is to keep the proteins for repair and glycogen and the fats for satiety and ketone bodies.

its nothing miraculous its just playing on your body's survival instincts. you can run on different macronutrients if one is deficient, but there is no miracle as to the "high protein"diets. if someone is smart about their choices of carbs, they should maintain relatively stable insulin levels. the population is not as insulin resistant and "protein" advocates would have you believe, so usually some of the "failures" of traditional caloric deficit diets is a matter of overeating. the true fact remains that most people underestimate what they eat and overestimate what they do. the first law of thermodynamics isnt a "law" for nothing.

just my daily $.02

if you say so! i wasn't exactly following the whole macronutrient game...that must explain the side effects.

Serenity Head said:

Now she is shaky, dizzy and gets head aches at work. So we are going back on and I want her to break 18% bf.
The coolest part is that everyone always thought that I was a nut for using this diet, but when you go through(if you are into that stuff) all the biochemistry it makes a lot of sense. Now Duke released the studies supporting this type of diet regeime. I love being a radical, don't you?:D

what exactly did the diet look like?

I thought I'd resurrect this for Rez - especially since I'm starting to plan my next diet cycle.

I diet for comp using the Anabolic diet - macronutrient ratios are 40-50% pro, 45-55% fat, 5-10% carb Mon - Fri (although I tend to eat more pro than fat - those are the diet's recommended ratios) and 65-70% carb, 25-30% fat, negligable pro on Sat and Sun. This diet works well for me - during the week I eat 11xbodyweight in kcals; on Sat and Sun I increase kcals by 25%. So, I'm periodizing both my macronutrients and kcal levels. Plus, my energy levels and strength levels never suffered - if anything, my lifts kept increasing in poundage, so I was actually getting stronger. I didn't have wild cravings and never felt like I was starving myself, like I did when I was on a less clean, higher carb and protein diet (negligible fat).

This post season, I've been trying to eat more carbs daily - all low GI carbs - and I noticed I don't have carb cravings (my big fear for moving back to a higher carb based diet), plus, I'm just not really interested in eating. I'm actually having a hard time keeping my kcals high because I don't finish meals or just don't really feel like eating. So, I think I could eat more carbs daily during my diet cycle, and still be okay as long as I lowered kcals appropriately and kept the carbs low GI. However, I wouldn't get the same periodization effect I get from the Anabolic diet.

To make a long story short, after much research and internal debate, I'm going to continue to use the Anabolic diet for my pre-contest dieting.

Top Bottom