Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Answers to whey powder vs. Solid food

The most important thing when looking at a particular type of protein is the amino acid PROFILE. That is, the ratio of the 20 amino acids which make up the protein.

Have you guys ever heard the term "bioavalibility"?

The higher the bioavilibility of a particular protein, i.e. the more "complete" it is, hence, the better it is for bodybuilding.

The protein source with the highest bioavilibility is whey, which is followed by egg. These two proteins, on a gram per gram basis, have almost the PERFECT RATIO of the 20 amino acids needed by our bodies.

By you guys saying that "real food" proteins are "better" for you than "powdered" protein, is that based on their superior amino acid profile?

If so, could I eat 40 grams (of protein) worth of soy beans, the only "complete" plant protein and have it be just as good for me as eating 40 grams worth (of protein) of egg protein.

I DON'T THINK SO.

Wonder why 99% of protein powders on the market are WHEY?
Because it it has the HIGHEST BIOAVALIBILITY of any protein.

On a $ for $ basis, YES, it is much more cost efficient to go with "real" food source proteins, but when you look at it on a gram for gram basis, based on the amino acid profile, whey and egg protein kick the shit out of everything elese.

I searched for a chart to show what I was talking about but couldn't find one. If anybody can find a chart showing a comparison of all of the protein sources, I would appreciate it if you would post it. :leap:

i'm out.

ROLGOR said:
If powderd supplements were as good as real food don't you imagine the military and nasa would use that instead of freeze dried? it would be a lot lighter. That is why they call it a suplement.

Hmmm.....damn intersting point! Not sure if I buy it BUT it sounds good to me:)

That is not a good point.
Two things:

(1) Think about trying to blend a protein shake in space or "in the field". I don't think so. They use freeze dried food for CONVIENIENCE!

AND (2) the military (or nasa for that matter) is not known for being concerned with their soldiers keeping gobs of muscle packed onto their frame. Hell, sometime the military even prohibits the use of creatine! I guess because they heard it can cause cramping and dehydration...YHEA RIGHT!
Do not use principals used by nasa or the military in a bodybuilding discussion.

I can't tell you how many times I have gotten my ass kicked by a SWOLE astronaut!

Top Bottom