Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Almonds

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
Almonds.....not peanut butter ! :D

Including almonds in an overall healthy diet may help to reduce cholesterol levels, the results of a small study suggest.

According to the report funded by The Almond Board of California and the Canadian government, adults who substituted 74 grams of almonds (about 2 ounces) for other foods reduced their LDL ("bad") cholesterol by nearly 10% after 1 month. Adults who consumed fewer nuts also saw their cholesterol levels fall, researchers report in the September 10th rapid access issue of Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association.

However, adding nuts to a diet already sufficient in calories and fat could lead to weight gain, a risk factor for heart disease, cautions Julie Walsh, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. While nuts are rich in protein and healthy monounsaturated fat, they are also high in calories.

"People have to remember when they eat nuts they have to take out calories elsewhere," Walsh said in an interview with Reuters Health.

The study included 27 adults with high cholesterol and an average age of 64 years, who agreed to follow three diets with a different snack of about 420 calories per day, for a month each.

The first diet included a snack of 74 grams of almonds, the second diet included about 37 grams of almonds plus one-half of a muffin, and the third diet substituted a whole-wheat muffin, low in saturated fat, for the nuts. The muffin had roughly the same amount of protein and saturated and polyunsaturated fat as the nuts.

But almonds are higher in monounsaturated fat, found also in avocados, olive oil and other types of nuts. When substituted for saturated fat or trans fat, which is found in processed foods and baked goods, monounsaturated fat has been shown to lower cholesterol levels.

Indeed, adults eating the diet with more almonds reduced their LDL cholesterol by 9.4% and lowered their ratio of LDL to HDL ("good") cholesterol--an important marker of heart disease risk--by 12%, after one month.

The diet with the half-portion of almonds was associated with a more than 4% average reduction in LDL and a nearly 8% reduction in the LDL to HDL ratio. Average cholesterol levels did not fall in those on the diet that included just the muffin. There was no change in body weight associated with any of the snacks.

"Almonds (and nuts) may be included as part of a healthy diet to reduce the risk of heart disease without weight gain," Dr. Cyril W.C. Kendall, a study author from the University of Toronto in Canada, told Reuters Health.

"The health benefits would be observed in individuals with high cholesterol and in those with normal levels," he added.

SOURCE: Circulation 2002;10.1161.01.CIR.0000028421.91733.20.

Walnuts and Almonds are Ounce for ounce the best nuts one could be eating. Flax, Pumpkin, and Sunflower are the best seeds to eat.

Almonds are so goddam expensive in stores, but you can get a 2lb bag of whole almonds for $5 at Sam's Club. (That's also where I buy my 6lb bag of frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts for $11).

Damn, chicken is that cheap at sams. I am gonna have to go back there, I pay like 3-4 bucks for these stupid 1.5 lbs packs at the food store cause I went through my giant sacks of chicken(from sams) pretty quick.

I really love almonds and I think has a better and stronger taste than peannuts. Almond butter rocks too!
Just in time:
Almond butter nutritional facts
1 Tbsp (15g)
Calories: 90
Protein: 2.5g
Carbohydrate: 3.5g
Total Fat: 8g
Fiber: 2g

Shinobi said:
I really love almonds and I think has a better and stronger taste than peannuts. Almond butter rocks too!
Just in time:
Almond butter nutritional facts
1 Tbsp (15g)
Calories: 90
Protein: 2.5g
Carbohydrate: 3.5g
Total Fat: 8g
Fiber: 2g

looks good :)

what is the composition?
Do they add suagr and/or fat ?

Shinobi said:
Nothing is added, its natural almond butter like nat PB...I also like sesame butter

so it must be really good !

I'll try to find out some

Thx :)

The motherfuckers replaced their normal Butter, lard and crisco meals with Almonds. Of course they will lose a few percent in LDL levels.

They could have replaced their previous meals with a couple live Ooompa Loompas and probably get the same results.

But I must say, Almonds, if you don't over due them are pretty good for you. 1 Tablespoon a day should be proper.

Top Bottom