Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

2008 Competition Prep and Training

Re: 2008 Competition Preparation

I had a weigh in today, and I am down 0.8 kg/ 1.8 lbs this week.

I am going to weigh in again on Tuesday as I am off during the day from Tuesday - Friday, and I do like to see if the weight loss is stable, and I may find my bodyfat calipers by then too :)

I am meant to take progress pics today, but it is too freaking cold to get into a bikini (oh the joys of old Victorian houses).

I am getting my cardio mojo on, I did 60 min walking on an incline this morning on empty (well some black coffee).

It is not that bad when you have a bodybuilding magazine or a good book to read.

60 min of cardio yesterday and today

3.9 km/h on a 6% incline, think my average heart rate was about 120, I did wear my heart rate monitor today.

I am soooooooo freaking hungry after I do cardio, and today as I am on-call, I have to balance my calories out over 24 hours, as I will be up all night.

Did chest and biceps today, heavy week (JOY) and I am starting to find flat bench on 50 kg/110 lb getting easier, more reps, only getting a spot on the last few reps :)

Incline DB bench 24 kg/53 lb each

DB flat flyes 16 kg/35 lb each

Barbell curls (in the squat rack as I am cheeky like that) 30 kg/66 lb

Preacher curls 30 kg/66 lb

Love dieting with carbs when training is this great.

60 min of low intensity cardio last night, and again this morning on empty.

Tonight I went to a new gym that was built by one of the lads I have known for ages in my gym.

He was almost ready to do his first comp and then had a hideous motorcycle crash, tore the quad off the femur, messed up his arm, and really, it was his fault. No protective gear and doing something like 80 mph in a residential area.

He lost a huge amount of size, and his leg still swells up when he trains, and there is a massive scar up his leg. It has been about three years now as well.

I am quite lucky as there are 5 proper BBing gyms near me now, three are walking/pedal cycle distance.

The new gym is a small, proper BBing gym, most of the machines are plate loading, and he has a decent amount of free weights, bars, a couple of cable machines.

I also ran into another mate who is a Men's Health and Fitness model, he was complaining a bit as he has had to 'down-size' to get modelling work.

I am going to join his gym as I will be training there on occasion, and as I don't pay a gym membership at my regular gym, and his membership is not that much, it will be nice for a change.

It was great as he has a proper T-bar, so we did back and triceps.

I was meant to do dips, but had to use a dip machine, and this was my big lift for the day, 140 kg/308 lb.

I am also going to have to start pulling more on deadlifts, I have been doing a meager 70 kg/154 lb for some time now, and I am doing more reps than I am meant to on heavy week.

I know this is purely psychological, worried about injury.

I have done 90 kg/198 lb on rack pulls.

Next time I have heavy week, I think I will start with the bar in a power rack and go for more weight, at least 10 kg/22 lbs more.

STILL no progress pics, I really have to get onto that.

Looks like everything is going well for you Tat. And since you deadlift I'll let the curling in the squat rack thing slide. :)

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Tatyana said:
60 min of cardio yesterday and today

Incline DB bench 24 kg/53 lb each

Love dieting with carbs when training is this great.

Awesome weight on the Inclines. I don't think I could live without carbs. Especially when lifting heavy. :)

claire said:
Awesome weight on the Inclines. I don't think I could live without carbs. Especially when lifting heavy. :)

I think Atkins has done some damage.

People seem to think that keto diets are the only way to go now, which is not true.

Keto diets do not even work all that well on everyone, it really does depend on your biochemical individuality.

I am glad I have tried low carb dieting, I did love being able to eat nut butters, but my training did suffer, and I looked FLAT all the time.

Also people will go into ketosis at different amounts of carbs, so a keto diet may not be less than 20 g/carbs per day.

To be perfectly frank, I have seen far more people have really hideous rebound off low carb dieting than I have from any other type.

Tatyana said:

People seem to think that keto diets are the only way to go now, which is not true.

Keto diets do not even work all that well on everyone, it really does depend on your biochemical individuality.

I am glad I have tried low carb dieting, I did love being able to eat nut butters, but my training did suffer, and I looked FLAT all the time.

Also people will go into ketosis at different amounts of carbs, so a keto diet may not be less than 20 g/carbs per day.

To be perfectly frank, I have seen far more people have really hideous rebound off low carb dieting than I have from any other type.

I tried Atkins after my 4th child before I knew better. It was awful. I was cranky and miserable and never made it past the two week induction phase. I prefer to have carbs but to add them at certain times of the day. I do not have carbs at night. But my goals are for strength and not weight lose and I know everybody is different.

Love your journal and good luck with your goals. :)

Tatyana said:

i tend to agree with this!

claire said:
I tried Atkins after my 4th child before I knew better. It was awful. I was cranky and miserable and never made it past the two week induction phase. I prefer to have carbs but to add them at certain times of the day. I do not have carbs at night. But my goals are for strength and not weight lose and I know everybody is different.

Love your journal and good luck with your goals. :)

I have been reading a few interesting books related to diet

The True You Diet - Dr. John Briffa

Biochemical Individuality - Roger Williams PhD

Metabolic Profiling

This is the conclusion I have come up with.

Diet is very individual. The general recommedations that have been made about what is a healthy diet just does not work for everyone.

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Over human pre-history different groups of people have had to adapt to different climates with different types of foods available.

When people eat a diet that is based on their ancestral foods, the do not seem to suffer the chronic degenatory diseases that are plaguing the Western World right now.

Consider different aboriginal groups, when they eat a diet suited to their environment, they are healthy. The adopt a 'western' diet, they start to suffer from 'western' diseases.

The Pima Indians in the American South West are a good example of this, they are now the most obese people on earth with the highest incidence of type II diabetes.

Obviously now, a lot of people are a mix of various groups of people, but there are ways to determine what diet works for you.

I have dieted down while eating baby new potatoes as one of my major source of carbohydrates.

There have been a lot of studies examining the efficacy of low carb diets for the obese, and while low carbs, high fat/high protein work really well for some, the barely work at all on others.

Similarly diets with high carb, high protein, low fat, work for some but not for others.

It is obvious, there are so many obese people that say they have tried all the standard cookie cutter diets that are recommended, and they don't work.

I do think diet has to be individual, so either you have to experiment on yourself or use something like this metabolic profiling.

I will be typing myself, I will let you know how it works out for me.

I posted this on another board recently, and I think it is appropriate here

Originally Posted by Tatyana
People will have varying amounts of lipoprotein lipase and beta-hydroxyl acyl Co A dehydrogenase, more of this, better at utilising fat as an energy source, less of this, better at utilising carbs as an energy source.

Ferraro RT et al, Relationship between skeletal muscle lipoprotein lipase activity and 24-hour macronutrient oxidation, Journal of Clinical Investigation 1993, 92; 441-5

Zurlo F et al, Whole-body energy metabolism ad skeletal muscle biochemical characteristics, 1994 Metabolism, 43: 481-6

Studies have measured people's respiratory quotients, and it is known that some people use different substrates to different extents. If you utilise carbs, you have a respiratory quotient closer to 1, fat closer to 0.7.

Seidell JC, Fasting respiratory exchange ratio and resting metabolic rate as predictors of weight gain: The Baltimore Longitudinal Study on Aging, International Journal of Obesity 1992, 16: 667-74

Studies have shown people respond differently to low carb diets, some will lose 20 kg, while some will lose nothing

Yancy WS, et all A low carbohydrate ketogenic diet vs a low-fat diet to treat obesity and hyperlipidaemia. A random, controlled trial, Annals of Internal Medicine 2004 140: 69-77

Top Bottom