Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The 1/3,1/3,1/3 diet is the BEST...You SHOULD ALL USE IT!

Hey guys,

Just wante to bump up this post. Real informative.

The last couple of weeks I decided to try something else. High carb and low protein. I found I was always hungry. Now I am back to my roots. Iso-caloric diet. Maybe I will go back up to 235lbs. I shrunk down to 225... Im sure its from the other diet.

Hey NJ,

Just curious on how this diet is going for you. I did get side tracked for a bit, and suffered a lost of size, im sure. But I am back on this eating plan and hopefully will get past the 10% mark.

I think this is the most idiotic/unscientific/anecdotal post I've ever read on how to look a little better than the "average male" by eating whatever you want while you're still a young male, preferably while taking gear. Rez, my best advice is to stick to the women's board for diet advice.

Isocaloric is great for bulking (ie wearing oversized clothes in the winter). It sucks BIG TIME for cutting (male or female). If you're not a competitive bodybuilder then obviously the rules change. the majority of women like vaguely muscular men, and the majority of men like soft, thin unmusclular women. This does not mean these are ideals to strive for on this board, unless you wanna be a supermodel! Nothing wrong with that, they make lots of money.

However, if your goal is to be ultra cut and musclular, I would avoid an isocaloric diet for cutting like the proverbial plague.

I have to disagree here. Yes you can use this to bulk..(which is worthless in my opinion) but with this way of eating will not make you fat, as long as your total calories are below maintanance. By eating this way you will lose fat.

Dan Ducahine recommended this way of eating a few years back. Arnold calimed he use to eat this way...(40-30-30), but if you want to eat as many carbs as you want while eating no fat to get leaner..go ahead. You will be disapointed, but you will learn.

The Iso-Caloric Diet by Dan Duchaine

While it is possible to lose more than one pound per week through further calorie reduction or by increasing aerobics, you will lose some muscle along with the fat. On paper, your body will look as if the diet is working. The mirror, however, will tell a different story. Even a 5 percent change in calories or aerobics will cause muscle loss.

The first way to prevent muscle loss is to change the fat to carbohydrate ratio. In the Iso-Caloric Diet, these are changed to: 1/3 Protein 1/3 Fat and 1/3 Carbohydrate. Adjusting these ratios will cause faster fat loss. Although there is a scientific explanation for this phenomenon, I first discovered it the hard way through trial and error. No other combination worked.

At first, it seemed logical to try reducing calories further, but this caused too much muscle loss too quickly. Does increasing protein help maintain muscle mass? Nope, it doesn't. Increasing aerobics looks like a popular choice -- after all, gyms have lots of steppers and rowers and bikes, all occupied with well-meaning individuals. Aerobics must be good, right? Wrong! As a matter of fact, increased aerobics causes just as much muscle loss as calorie restriction.

After screwing up in so many other ways, I finally arrived at the 1/3 ratios. Most athletes won't be happy with this. They've been conditioned not to eat dietary fat. Besides, lowering carbohydrates increases hunger and anxiety for a while. However, eating lots of carbohydrates makes your metabolism unable to burn fat efficiently.

If you have patience and not too much fat to lose, you will probably get damn close to your goal with the Modern Diet. The Modern Diet will allow you to be relatively happy, sociable, energetic and feed your carbohydrate addiction.

When "damn close" isn't close enough, you need the Iso-Caloric Diet. Will you be hungrier? Only at first. Will your strength decrease? Again, only at first. Will you loss muscle? Less than you would with any of the other alternatives.

In the Iso-Caloric Diet, we are once again concerned with the quality of the body's energy sources, not the quantity. Some people will object to eating a diet that is 1/3 fat. Fat is B-A-A-A-D, isn't it?

Fat isn't perfect, but it's all we have to work with. We can't decrease total calories because we don't want to lose muscle. The high carbohydrates of the Modern Diet will need to change to either protein or fat. Exchanging the carbohydrates for protein won't work because not all of the amino acids can be converted into energy. Much of the amino acid content is excreted as urea, a waste product. Calorie for calorie, protein will not provide the same energy as carbohydrates. This is why high protein diets cause faster fat loss than high carbohydrate diets. Because protein has less usable energy, the body will strip down muscle to scavenge the energy-producing amino acids. Glutamine will be used first, then the branched-chain amino acids, then alanine.

If we can't eat protein, all that's left is fat. Eating more fat will also reduce insulin secretion and make the fat-burning energy pathways more efficient. In the presence of insulin, the body will not release stored fat for energy. Therefore, as dieters, we want to reduce insulin secretion.

In the future, there may be better alternatives. The latest nutritional research shows that dietary pyruvate and lactate can activate alternative energy cycles that work better than fat or protein. These future foods will not cause insulin secretion, allowing faster fat loss while preserving more muscle from catabolism. Right now, however, these options are both tantalizing and futile. Currently, both pyruvate and lactate are hard to find, expensive, bad-tasting and boring to eat.

Almost all fat -- saturated or not, essential or not -- will work in the Iso-Caloric Diet. Energy-wise, it doesn't matter. You could use MCTs, for that matter, but they're are not as much fun as an additional serving of oily fish, walnuts or avocado.

If you followed my recommendations for fat choices in the Modern Diet, you are eating mostly essential fats. You would be shocked at how little fat you'll need to eat to increase fat calories by 23 percent. Salad and cooking oils don't take up much room. It doesn't take many avocados or walnuts to add a lot of calories. How about -- dare I say it -- peanut butter (no trans, that is)? Surely this isn't diet food.

Some people have asked me: If the Iso-Caloric Diet is so superior to the Modern Diet, why didn't I recommend it first? Well, most people are used to something like the Modern Diet. It's easy to start, "believe" and follow. Each change in longstanding habits requires more discipline.

Why increase protein by 8 percent? Fatty foods usually contain protein. Eggs, fish, meat, and that slice of cheese you can finally eat all contain protein in addition to fat. Even peanut butter contains protein.

The Iso-Caloric Diet requires more discipline than the Modern Diet, but if you're impatient, or have an inflexible timetable, the Iso-Caloric Diet will get you virtually all the way to your goals. The Modern Diet won't. Of course, strength and energy will suffer for about 5 days, but after that, you'll feel even better than before.

The Iso-Caloric Diet begins to solve a major problem in dieting (aside from hunger and anxiety): impatience. While the problem of impatience has not been completely solved, we've appeased it for now. Although there is a better diet plan to come, it is illuminating to examine the preliminary solutions to the dilemmas I've encountered in my years as a professional body confidante.

Rating: 4/5

Exactly, it is a great diet to lose fat and maintain as much muscle as possible. Especially if you are not going to consider any kind of CKD. The idea is to change your body composition for the better, without sacrificing hard earned muscle. And it works fairly quick as well as far as diets go.

My comments about this thread have nothing to do with what Duchaine or Arnold or anyone else eats or says they eat. My comments were directed more to people like Rez, or competitive bodybuilders in general. NJ you are off the mark and out of line to suggest that what pros do and eat has nothing to do with serious bodybuilders on this board. We have 2 guys, both taking gear and claiming they don't want to get ripped, they just wanna look good enough to hook chicks. One of them (at least) is struggling to get down to 10%bf even though he's taking AAS (I can't even begin to fathom why a guy who does not want to get big or ultra lean would be taking gear unless he was having a problem with, ummmm, sexual performance). And we have lots of anectodal, almost religious fervor about how this diet is great for everyone (and by implication this includes females who want to get ultra ripped for competitions without any gear....)

I say show me the photos of all of these women who are competing well without AAS while getting well below 10% bf on an iso diet. This diet is NOT the best for everyone in all situations.

MS...get off your fucking high horse...Duchaine was a GOD and he was also the biggest Advocate of this diet...until you spell your name DAN DUCHAINE, I will not acknowldge your presence...

As for the diet...IT IS THE MOST EASY TO FOLLOW DIET ON THE PLANET...THAT IS THE MOST HEALTHY WAY TO EAT....FACT....ASK YOUR FUCKING DOCTOR>>>>I AM SURE HE WILL TELL YOU ZERO CARBS IS HORRIBLE>>>>>>>So WOMEN, take my advice...isocaloric dieting allows one to live their life....while also shedding pounds....THe FUCK is MS talking about Isocaloric as a BULKING DIET? MAKES NO SENSE ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE TAKING IN LESS CALORIES THAN your maintenance was or hen you burn.....

REZ, Exactly...ask me sweets! I wil tell you the good honest info....not have you doing some Freak diet....!!! Anyway,,, sample diet for a 200 lb male would look like this:

Meal 1: Egg beaters,
1 slice cheese
wheat bread

meal 2: Balance Bar (Almond Brownie!!!)

meal 3: 2 slices of pizza or 1 hamburger

meal 4: protein shake

meal 5: Salmon
salad with light dressing
little pasta or bread

meal 6: popcorn or protein depending on your daily macro totals

I always plan ahead...for instance if I am going to the movies and want popcorn that night I factor it in before the days eating begins........If I am having a pasta dinner then I factor that in and might lay off the pizza for lunch or bread with breakfast.......GET A FAT /CARb/ Protein book......When I want to get shreaded I use this diet.....I can get fro 12% to 8% in one month....4 weeks, 28 days.............AND I LOVE THE VARIETY OF FOOD>>>>>>>

I am currently on a harsh cycle so I am not eating this diet...I am eating 400 grams of Protein and 200 grams of carbs with about 70 grams of fat......Trying to bulk becasue I CANNOT BULK WITH THE ISOCALORIC DIET~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Top Bottom