Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

!!very Important Post Workout Meal Info You Had Better Know!!

imkrayzie

Many people I can see are under the impression that Sugar and Dextrose are the best thing to take in after a workout. I've heard from some very reliable sources that never is refined sugar at all good for you. The most its going to do is make you fat. Carbs are important post workout, 30-45 minutes after, but not straight up sugar. You will get much better results by adding oats to your protein shake with a banana if your going to have a protein shake. Im going to give you some info straight out of "Maximum Growth", a book written by Shawn Phillips, I'm sure most of you have heard of him, I'm doing a 4 week program right now that i just started. I'm going to post about 2 posts a week on my results and how im doing along the way. Anyways, take this info into consideration -

"Half of your carbs should come in the form of what's called low-glycemic and the other half in high-glycemic carbs. Typically, this means you'd try and consume a starchy carb, something like brown rice, a yam, or oatmeal (low glycemic) combined with a sugary carb, such as a piece of fruit, like a banana or apple. Soi why the half-half carb? well i wont bore you with all the details, but heres the down and dirty.... too many high glycemic carbs can cause a sudden, uncontrollable rush of insulin in the body, Low-glycemic carbs don't. Too much insulin will quickly create an environment to store all of those extra calories as bodyfat. Cklarly, this is not what we want. It's for this reason I recommend not eating more than half hight glycemic carbs. You especially want to avoid those dreaded fat-storing carbs like sugar and dextrose.

Heres what a good post-workout meal should look like:

Around 75-90 grams of carbohydtrates (half and half)
Anywhere from 25-30 grams of Protein."

This should all take place in your open window of maximum growth, within 45 minutes of your workout

I don't buy it.

It's after a workout that you're looking for that insulin spike. Naturally, having a protein drink spiked with some table sugar isn't good, but having low glycemic carbs won't give you the spike you need.

Think about it, are your muscles going to take in every bit of sugar you take in after your workout? No. It can only take in so much, after that the sugar you have taken in will be stored as fat that has not been absorbed. What do your muscles have to feed off of after that? Nothing if you haven't taken in low-glycemic carbs which naturally take longer to digest. It makes perfect sense

Nope, still not buying it.
Let's say I take in 80g of carbs and 40g of protein post workout.
Even if my muscles only took in half of those carbs, the 160 calories that are going to be stored as fat (as you say) is not nearly as important as the quick replacement of muscle glycogen.

I can burn 160 calories rubbing one out everyday. Hardly something to worry about.

You are correct for the most part but... that's why it is important to know your own body and how many simple carbs you do require PWO. I've been cutting by adding dextrose to my PWO shakes for 5 months now and have drastically changed my body composition at least 6.5% lower in BF. I weigh 230lbs and I have found that 40g carbs from dextrose works for me. It may be a bit low but I like the leeway so I know that I will not be storing them.

Then, once I've exhausted all of my carbs PWO, I eat low glycemic carbs with protein 1.5hr later so that my muscles may continue to recover.

Bonkme2 said:
Nope, still not buying it.

I can burn 160 calories rubbing one out everyday. Hardly something to worry about.

Now that's STROKING........ :shocked: :shocked:

I'm sticking with the dextrose myself. You get better insulin response, and therefore more carbs and protein into the muscle, as well as better cortisol blunt and creatine absorption.

its all relative, i won;t have go over the top with my post workout drink, but i will still have it

The key is to use the CORRECT amounts for you, and include glucose disposal agents WITH the pwo drink, not before, not after, so that you still get the spike in slin, yet have these agents circulating in the bloodstream to help deal w/any excess glucose in a positive/beneficial manner, should you over-shoot the amount your body really needs. It's a delicate balance, but if you know what you are doing, there's no comparison.

He said Shawn Phillips, lmfao! Yeah, remember Bill Phillips and his "Body for Shit"......:rolleyes:

~SC~
CEO
www.gotswole.com

Top Bottom