Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Young people turned off from driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont necessarily see this as a bad thing
Frankly, me neither. I've got three kids, 27 y/o son, 24 y/o s-daughter, 21 y/old s-son. My 27 y/o didn't get his license until he was in his early 20s, after he was married. The steps both got them around 18. Her insurance is $1,320 a year, her brother's is about twice that and he's never been in an accident. Who the hell can afford that on TOP of gas/maintenance? Added bonus, more ridership of public means more public transport will become available.

Frankly, 16 is too damned young to drive anyway.

Frankly, me neither. I've got three kids, 27 y/o son, 24 y/o s-daughter, 21 y/old s-son. My 27 y/o didn't get his license until he was in his early 20s, after he was married. The steps both got them around 18. Her insurance is $1,320 a year, her brother's is about twice that and he's never been in an accident. Who the hell can afford that on TOP of gas/maintenance? Added bonus, more ridership of public means more public transport will become available.

Frankly, 16 is too damned young to drive anyway.

I have to agree with you.

I got my license at 16 and I'm in my mid 20's now. Not to brag, but I was actually, with looking back on it, a capable driver (for my age). No traffic violations, no tickets, and avoided accidents due to quick thinking and reacting appropriately to the faults of others doing stupid stuff while other morons would have just kept driving right into a shit storm and ended up in an accident.

My friends, most of them, were not good drivers and scared the crap out of me. I ALWAYS drove when we went somewhere because my friends were too hesitant, timid, scared or too stupid to pay attention to what they were doing or flat out couldn't read simple traffic patterns and anticipate and/or react to a normal driving situation.

Then there is the whole age of responsibility. Most kids don't actually grow up and make responsible choices consisently until they are well past 16 years old. Driving and making stupid choices like speeding, chasing eachother around, trying to show off, texting, etc is a large part of why kids cause accidents.

The thing is, the pace of today's society means fast, reliable transportation is a necessity. I agree 16 is too young to be driving. There aren't many kids who don't feel the need for speed at that age or even 20. And girls are just plain ditsy when it comes to driving. GF needs her brakes replaced twice as often as mine, and my truck has half a ton easy on her's. Always cutting turns to close to curbs meaning the bearing is probably near-shot on the back right wheel too lol.

i had an annoying habit of sliding sideways over curbs in those days....nowadays i get there through the e brake, old habits die hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom