Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why Does Beef Jerky Cost More than Rib Eye Steaks?

curling

I just don't get it? I went by one of those bbq places on the freeway and bought some beef and turkey jerky. The lady put $14.76/lb on the scale. What the heck I said "why so much." She said you don't know all the work it takes to make jerkey. I guess I don't because I have no idea why it cost so much.

Anybody know?

I know, I love beef jerky....costs like $5 for 4 ounzes...WTF? I've been thinking about buying a dehydrater and making my own. My parents used to have one, and my mom would make me home made beef jerky :)

Beef is full of water.
Takes about 4 times as much beef to make the one unit of jerky.

Same here Buck! Im looking for a dehydrader, I love that stuff. Pure protein no fat. Exept most are full of MSG!!!

I bought one of those dehydrators"SP" and it works great the only problems is waitting for it to get done. I keep picking at it and nothingis left.LOL

Teriyaki~~~~~~~~~Is the best:D

There's not alot of work involved in making jerky. Its just a a hugely marked up product.

Jerky is usually made from the cheaper cuts of meats like rump roast or some part of the round. Just go into your local supermarket, pick out a lean rump roast and ask the butcher NICELY to cut it into jerky for you.

Rump roast=$2.99ish lb
processed jerky=$14.99-up

I used to own a meat packing plant and we made tons of jerky. To make the best jerky you need meat that has no fat or grisle so flank steak is your best bet unless you live close to a packer that butchers bulls. Bull meat is usually at least 99% lean. You can also have it ground or grind it yourself when you are dieting.

Top Bottom