Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Whoopie pie

##spiderbaby##

For all those that wanted it...

Amish Whoopie Pie? What's that?
by Rachel Keller

What makes these soft chocolate filled cookies an irresistable treat? Try one of these yummy recipes to find out!

Growing up in Lancaster County, I had the privilege of sampling some wonderful PA Dutch cooking. My grandmother and my mother were excellent cooks, and I am thankful for the rich heritage and wonderful recipes they gave me.

I always enjoyed going to my grandmother's house, especially when she had whoopie pies in the freezer. She would make extra and freeze them.

Every year, my mom would bake a birthday treat for me to take to school and share with my classmates, and every year, I asked for whoopie pies. What fun I had helping to make the chocolate cakes and spreading the cream filling between the chocolate cakes.

Whoopie pies also hold another special memory for me. A little less than three weeks before my due date with my oldest son, I made a big batch of these soft cookie sandwiches, putting as many as I could in the freezer to enjoy later. I no sooner finished cleaning up and eating a whoopie pie, when my son decided he wanted to join our family. He was born several hours later.

So what are whoopie pies like? They are similiar to Little Debbie Cakes, but so much better. Try one of these 2 recipes and you will see for yourself.

My Mom's Chocolate Whoopie Pies

2 cups sugar

1 cup shortening

1 cup cocoa

2 egg yolks and 2 whole eggs (save the egg whites for the filling)

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup sour milk or buttermilk

2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 cups flour

Cream sugar and shortening together in a large bowl. Add eggs and mix. Sift dry ingredients together and add to the creamed mixture alternatively with milk. Batter will be stiff. If it is too thin, add more flour. Drop by tablespoon onto greased sheets. Bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the cookies comes out clean.

While the cookies are baking and cooling, mix up the filling:

2 egg whites

1 box 10X sugar

1 cup shortening

4 tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat egg whites till stiff. Add shortening and vanilla and blend. Add milk and then add the sugar. Beat until smooth. Spread some filling on the bottom side of one cookie; top with a second cookie. Repeat with the remaining cookies and filling. Store in the refrigerator or freezer. Yields approximately 5 dozen.

Note: You can buy a powdered buttermilk mix to make your own buttermilk or you can substitute 1 cup yogurt for either the buttermilk or sour milk. To make sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or vinegar) and fill with milk to make 1 cup. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Chocolate Whoopie Pies

My grandmother was Mennonite, and this recipe comes from one of my Mennonite cookbooks.

1 1/2 cups soft margarine

3 cups sugar

3 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla

5 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

2/3 cup cocoa powder

2 1/4 cups thick sour milk or buttermilk

Cream the margarine and sugar together. Add the eggs and vanilla, beating until fluffy. Sift the dry ingredients and add alternatively with milk. Chill dough at least 1 hour. Drop onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.

Filling

2 egg whites

2 teaspoons vanilla

1/4 cup flour

3 tbsp. milk

2 tbsp. powdered sugar

1 cup shortening

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the vanilla, flour, milk, 2 T. powdered sugar and mix. Add the shortening and the rest of the powdered sugar, beating until fluffy. Spread between the cookies.

##spiderbaby##

Top Bottom