Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Who Makes the Best Surround Sound System for the Money?

curling

I am looking at the top of the line sony that just for the 6 speakers alone cost 899 then I have to buy the reciever and the cd/dvd player. The cheaper sony cost 600 and it come with speakers, the receiver, and the dvd/cd changer. Yamaha is the same as the cheaper sony but it cost $760.

Any help on this decision? Oh and what do you think of bose 3,2,1 surround speaker system for $999?

And if you have any other suggestions I am all ears?

one of my real good knowledgeable specialties.

OK, for the money Yamaha is the best, each speaker has it's own independent amp, basically the Yamaha reciever has a big amp, but it's not bridged like every other brand, how ever many chanels the amp has that is how many individual amps there are inside the unit. That means each speaker gets it's own amp, which produces a more clarified sound. Also Yamaha has the best design as far tower speakers go, the coil system is not twisted like all others, it's sodered (sp?)

Bose is alright, they are good if you live in an apartment, other than that you can get much better for the same price or even less. Bose markets to older people who will never upgrade, and just want decent loud sound, but there 6.1 still needs a lot of touching up.

Sony sucks, you are paying for the name when you buy Sony, you might as well Technics, it's the same thing as Sony. Sony will give you top notch design, but as far as power goes and clarity Sony does not compare to Yamaha.

Put it this way, I worked in the Audio/Video department at Best Buy for like almost 2 years, and I got to see what gets returned the most as well as what works the best for sound, clarity, 5.1, 6.1, and now Lucas has 7.1 which will be here soon, and Yamaha is the only company embracing the challenge of 7.1 because they will make a way to bring it out.

My advice as an ex non commision sales rep from Best Buy go with Yamaha, that is the best bang for the buck.

One of my coworkers bought a Sony surround setup a few months ago, and he's not particularly happy with the speakers. He's already looking at upgrades.

Personally, I like Pioneer and JVC receivers. Don't have any experience with Yamahas, and have nothing but bad things to say about Sony receivers. Saw a lot of them fail when I used to work with them.

Kenwood makes a sweet 400+3 CD/DVD jukebox that also plays MP3's.

As far as speakers go, I've got some Cerwin Vegas that are loud, but not necessarily the cleanest sound. The next speakers I buy will probably be Klipsch.

The true audiophiles hate Bose...I'll wait for them to pop up on that one.

curling said:
Peyote,

Does the yamaha have white speakers or just the black ones?

I have not worked there for almost 2 years, but I keep updated. Although as far as white speakers go, I'm not too sure, they might make a white rear speaker or white center chanel, but I'm almost sure that their towers are all black. But the color of the plastic doesn't have anything to do with the prodcut or sound, I'm confused, why do you ask?

Project - that's cool, what department did you or do you work in?

Because my walls are white so I wanted them to blend in more. What do you think of the bose 3,2,1 system btw? They did sound ggod.

Peyote Killa said:

I have not worked there for almost 2 years, but I keep updated. Although as far as white speakers go, I'm not too sure, they might make a white rear speaker or white center chanel, but I'm almost sure that their towers are all black. But the color of the plastic doesn't have anything to do with the prodcut or sound, I'm confused, why do you ask?

Project - that's cool, what department did you or do you work in?

I agree with PK...never seen a white tower.

I was an ops guy, spent 3 1/2 years there. Was a Rep I, Rep II, Sr., then Service Tech. Had the most fun as a tech, although I really enjoyed arguing with customers in customer service.

Did you ever hear the "Big Joe, coming down, Little Texas" story?

Last edited:
Top Bottom