Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Who here is self employed?

Taps

So tell me:

What do you do? How did you get into that field? Did you start from scratch, or buy/partner with an existing business? What prompted you to start working for yourself? What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced? Has your income increased or decreased? Most importantly, is being self-employed something you enjoy?

I know a few posters are business owners (Velvett, HumorMe and Skywalker come to mind), but I’d appreciate hearing form anyone who’s planning on starting a business or has been self-employed in the past.

I just want to get a general impression from people who’ve been there.

I'm a graphic artist.
i work for a company during the day and do my own freelance artwork in the evening. which, is why i'm always on line.
i got into it since i was a teen and knew i wanted to be in the art field.

Call me old fashioned but I still say the secret to success is hard work....if you are self employed.

Assuming you have common sense, competency, and decent people skills. I would hesitate to recommend it though it is great at times.

Been s/e for 11 years now. It is friday night and I am making dvd copies right now....for a customer. Headed to Pueblo, CO bright and early tomorrow morning.

It is not boring though.

A current challenge is that I spend about $1000/mt keeping up with technology....and that is getting WORSE.

$1000 is a lot of money for a lowly photographer.

Taps said:
So tell me:

What do you do? How did you get into that field? Did you start from scratch, or buy/partner with an existing business? What prompted you to start working for yourself? What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced? Has your income increased or decreased? Most importantly, is being self-employed something you enjoy?

I know a few posters are business owners (Velvett, HumorMe and Skywalker come to mind), but I’d appreciate hearing form anyone who’s planning on starting a business or has been self-employed in the past.

Im lucky.

I worked in the medical field (various suppliers) for about 8 years. Started as nobody doing whatever was needed. It progressed. I did sales. I did management. I even did actual medical work. I became a certified orthotist, which is to say I am able to properly put people into devices to assist muscle/bone/ligaments. Like knee braces or custom orthotic shoes and the like. (I am no doctor, by any stretch.)

I worked with about 5 different companies and spent much of my time outside working with doctors, therapists and hospitals.

At one point a company that I had worked for asked me if I was available to moonlight and work with them and advise them on some scenarios. I did. Well, this continued to grow to the point were I was advising 5 companies on my own time when I while I was not on the payroll of any. Presently I work with 3.

For about the past 5 years I have been self-employed.
I work very few hours. I make pretty good money. I enjoy what I do.

Challenge? My friends/family giving me hard time because my woman makes more money then I do. But she "hires" my services as well. :doc:

Testosterone boy said:
A current challenge is that I spend about $1000/mt keeping up with technology....and that is getting WORSE.

$1000 is a lot of money for a lowly photographer.

Dude, if you had it going on, $1000/month would be a drop in the bucket for a photographer that was worth his salt.

One of my best friends is a photographer and he rolls. He took pictures at my wedding in 1987 and charged me $900. Then there was my wife's wedding portrait for $550. He is a top notch photographer with a clientele of Governors, State Senators, Representatives, CEOs of billion dollar corporations, etc.

He does magazine front covers and photography for ads. He also does the small stuff too. Trick or treat pictures, photos for Christmas cards, Graduation portraits, etc.

He still manages to go on numerous scuba diving trips, vacations and weekend getaways. He is the most likeable guy you will ever meet with a personality to boot. I have no idea what he makes but I guarantee it that it is very, very comfortable.

All it takes is a personal drive for success and knowing how to maintain it once you reach it.

Here he is scuba diving and some of his underwater work that won some awards on the Internet...

steve1.jpg

steve2.jpg

steve3.jpg

steve4.jpg

Last edited:
I started from scratch 32 yrs ago, gradually built the business, it has had its ups & downs, one of the biggest setbacks was the phone call i got at 4 am Saturday nite/i had crashed in bed comming back from a party, the call said the entire city block was on fire.After arriving they were right Except for my building that was protected by a firewall, to be safe we moved the entire inventory out into the street that night. The building wasn't touched, but with that block gone business dried up, so i moved My current location i'm very close to my home in a prime spot right across from Wal-Mart, we specialize in Electronics/Scientific exploration projects for most schools in this area, I am the owner/Senior Electronics Technician (CET) Certified!
I have also just netted a contract with Parker Aerospace for the next 6 years.

RADAR

RADAR

Taps said:
So tell me:

PM me and I'll tell you. It's a service business if that helps.
Back in 1979, I read a Fortune magazine article that stated that in the early 80's - 90's, services were going to be the top rated businesses to start. It gave a lot of reasons but the one that stuck with me is that more people would have more disposable income therefore they would more than likely hire things out than do-it-yourself. I majored in business in college and I never learned the hands on touch you learn in the real business world.

I stated from scratch in 1981 between summers from college. Once college was done, I got into fulltime. So in essence, I never really worked for anybody else. I borrowed $2500 from the bank for 18 months and paid it off in 5 months. I did a lot of the work myself and only hired parttimers as I needed them.

The only thing that prompted me to start a business was my willingness to learn everything firsthand and the challenge of succeeding on my own.

The biggest challenge is outgrowing your cashflow and hired help. Many a heartaches were had in those departments. I had to keep convincing myself that things would get better and they did. Trying to keep the bank out of the picture as you grow is very hard. Having a line of credit saved me numerous times but I absolutely dispised using it although it became a necessary evil. Hired help is something I battle daily. Everyone and I mean everyone think they are worth way more than I do. A lot of trial and error by hiring and firing. Good people are out there but very hard to find.

Income has increased considerably since 1981. Personal income has increased too although I find myself taking less because of personal taxes. In my business, I spend about $4800 a year for my CPA. He does a lot for me. I'm all about a write off if I can get one.:D

I wouldn't consider anything except being self-employed. My days off from work I can enjoy doing a lot of the things I missed early in my career. I go fishing, golfing, hunting, etc. I have a lot employees and several supervisors and they take the majority of the work off of me. I still have to manage them but it gives me the opportunity to spend more time with my family which is very important to me.

The worse thing you can do when going into business for yourself is not knowing your market and undercapitalizing. The one thing people do not realize when opening a business is that just becasue you throw up a sign and unlock the front door, people will not just show up and give you their money. A lot of harder work is involved convincing people to give you their money for a job that they could do themselves. You have to sell yourself every day. You have to create yourself an income every single day. Once you lose that ambition of succeeding and taking your customers for granted, the downward spiral will begin.

I have done freelance computer work but I've never had enough savings to quit and make a run at it full-time.

RADAR said:
I started from scratch 32 yrs ago, gradually built the business, it has had its ups & downs, one of the biggest setbacks was the phone call i got at 4 am Saturday nite/i had crashed in bed comming back from a party, the call said the entire city block was on fire.After arriving they were right Except for my building that was protected by a firewall, to be safe we moved the entire inventory out into the street that night. The building wasn't touched, but with that block gone business dried up, so i moved My current location i'm very close to my home in a prime spot right across from Wal-Mart, we specialize in Electronics/Scientific exploration projects for most schools in this area, I am the owner/Senior Electronics Technician (CET) Certified!

That partly explains your username. I'm glad things have worked out for you, bro. How do you like living in a remote area? Do you see yourself doing this indefinitely?

DIV

:chomp:

RADAR said:

RADAR

RADAR

Damn you are old.:D

Top Bottom